PDA

View Full Version : Whoops, Black Ice!

JerryT
20-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Mrs T came off her bike yesterday on the ice. One minute upright at a sedate 20mph, the next sideways! Fortunately only a few scratches on the bike and her helmet and leathers took care of her. She's going to have a sore shoulder though.

I was out on the Monster too yesterday and it felt very dodgy in places. Gave it a miss this morning - even the car was losing grip in places. Ho Hum. i did manage to get some cracking video of the bike ride though; might put it up if I can spare time to edit it down to a reasonable length.

Stafford
20-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Oh bugger, at least no permanent damage. Where's the salt when you need it? :thumbsdown:

Stuart42
20-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Jerry

sorry to hear of Nicks spill, hope shes ok, top marks for going out in this weather though.

Cheers
Stuart

Gutsy
20-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Oh poor Nicky. Hope she's has a speedy recovery - luckily there's no permanent damage to her or the bike. I was in Lymington yesterday and hit black ice as I was turning into the hotel... well I didn't turn I just went sailing past the entrance. It was "interesting" and glad I wasn't on the bike. Keep her topped up on painkillers and wait on her hand and foot.

JerryT
20-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys. Nicky's pretty cool about it all (I think!) - A hot bath and early bed was called for though! As well as a glass of Bailey's as a night cap! :spin:

bex
20-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Sorry to hear that Jerry, glad she is ok, still an unpleasant experience all the same! :thumbsdown: Roll on good weather x

Pomp1
20-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Hope she's OK Jerry, a reminder that even thought it looks OK out there roads are covered in all sorts of stuff, from ice to general dirt from the winter! get her a tub of ice cream and she'll feel a lot better;)

LouSCannon
20-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Good to hear she's ok chap! SOOOO ready for Spring now.....!

Char
20-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Glad to hear all ok - went through some freezing fog on the motorway today not nice, luckily bike was on a trailer :-)

Nickj
20-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Dropping the bike on something like ice always feels worse than if you've actually done something to deserve it, hurts just as much though.
Hope the shoulder feels better soon.

Been a bit slippery over this way too, toss in the freezing fog and the layers of mud the local framers are layering on the roads it's just ideal riding conditions. Still no carb icing so could be worse.

chris yeatman
20-01-2011, 09:08 PM
ohhhhh noooooooo, hope she's ok and the bikes not to bad.
had lots of fun in me yellow fiat sporting this morning on me way to work, i didnt know how sideways it went!! :spin: :spin: :thumbsup:

Liz
20-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Hope Nicky's ok and back on the road soon (says she who doesn't even attempt to go out when it's icy)!

Take care.

uksurfer
20-01-2011, 09:35 PM
wishing her a speedy recovery, let me know if i can help with anything, just up the road!!

bigredduke
20-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Hope she is on the mend very soon and no lasting damage. Sexist & hypocritical I know but it would worry me sick if Mrs BRD was riding in this weather.

JerryT
20-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone - Nic's feeling a bit more achey than yesterday but I guess it takes a day or two for the bruising inside to make itself felt. She says she feels a bit silly about it, but I know how easy it can be to lose it on ice on two wheels. Makes me wonder why I went out in it myself... I was thinking along the lines of 'must get out and practice or I'll get rusty'. It did look nice too, blue sky, sun etc...
I suspect we will both be rather less gung-ho about jumping on the bikes just cos the sun is out in the coming weeks. Must pay more attention to the thermometer!! :on:
Take care everyone!

Saint aka ML
20-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Good she is ok.

Been slidding around London this evening, fun is it not? I think it is just me but for quite some time now I spin the real wheel on purpose to slide a bit so it does not bother me no more. One day I will go to far....