PDA

View Full Version : Decat pipe question

bigredduke
17-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I have Marving decat pipes fitted to my S4R (996 desmoquattro engine). The pipes are separate because they are designed to connect to the Marving 2 into 1 silencer. My bike is fitted with the standard 'shotgun'silencers although they have been cored. Therefore, the pipes remain separate throughout. I have noticed that some decat pipes are joined by a small 'balancer' tube before they enter the silencers presumably to mix the exhaust gases.

My question is does it matter? If so, how and why? The bike always runs smoothly with no coughing & spluttering at all.
Thanks

Stafford
17-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Mmmm not a short answer to this, but for starters it helps scavenge the exhaust gases from one cylinder by using the gases being ejected from the first. I'd have a read on Brad Blacks site for more info and if it's a required item for twins of our type.

Gilps
17-01-2011, 01:49 PM
My understanding is that the joint is supposed to balance the gases before they get to the cans, just as you say. I have the decat pipe with the joint and I believe this is the correct one for two separate cans which is what I have. This replicates the crucifix which is fitted on the older 620's. Personally I wish I had the separate ones so that I could get the Power Commander setup correctly, with each cylinder mapped individually.

Capo
17-01-2011, 03:31 PM
My understanding is that the joint is supposed to balance the gases before they get to the cans, just as you say. I have the decat pipe with the joint and I believe this is the correct one for two separate cans which is what I have. This replicates the crucifix which is fitted on the older 620's. Personally I wish I had the separate ones so that I could get the Power Commander setup correctly, with each cylinder mapped individually.

If you weld on lambda bungs you will be able to do this

Gilps
17-01-2011, 04:02 PM
If you weld on lambda bungs you will be able to do this

Yes thanks, I know. We used them on the 620 Monster DD bike.