PDA

View Full Version : How difficult is this

littlejimmy12
17-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I would like to remove my rear swing arm to get it powder coated along with the wheels

How hard is this? I'm pretty terrible at DIY but if this is simple unbolting then I am confident I can do this.

its a 2002 S4

Capo
17-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Albie has done it I'm sure he will chime in

Dukedesmo
17-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Fairly easy, the worst part is supporting the bike by other means than a paddock stand.

Try hanging the rear of the frame from your garage rafters or supporting under the engine with axle stands etc

Once safely held, it's just a matter of unbolting everything that's in the way (wheel, footrests?, chain, brake line, hugger etc) then remove the rear suspension - shock and linkage and pulling out the swingarm spindle.

Suggest you get a workshop/Haynes manual and also the parts manual as that gives a good idea of how and where everything fits.

Put everything neatly in order, labelled if neccessary so that it's easier to find later and take plenty of pics as you go, helps you remember where everything goes.

Finally make sure everything goes back properly greased, loctited, torqued etc and that you have no 'leftovers' when you're done. :thumbsup:

Pomp1
17-01-2011, 01:53 PM
removal is never a problem, reassembly is where the problems starts..;) Not sure if the SSS Monsters suffer from the same problems as the SBK (where the spindle seizes against the collets) in which case removal can be a PITA

jerry
17-01-2011, 02:25 PM
dont lose the shims ...

Capo
17-01-2011, 03:27 PM
removal is never a problem, reassembly is where the problems starts..;) Not sure if the SSS Monsters suffer from the same problems as the SBK (where the spindle seizes against the collets) in which case removal can be a PITA

The S4 is DSS

utopia
17-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I'd say the most important factor is to start by making VERY sure that the bike is WELL supported when the back end is raised. Otherwise the whole lot could come crashing down when you try to shift that particularly stubborn nut.
Lifting via garage rafters is good, cos the bike can't fall to the ground if its held from above, but beware of the whole thing pivotting around the steering axis...some secondary restraint to avoid this would be sensible. Someone recently posted the idea of hoisting the bike from a strategically placed set of (strong) stepladders, which seems like a good idea if you dont have a handy rafter. Access might be restricted though.
Ratchet straps will probably do the hoisting job adequately, but they can make lowering the bike a bit difficult as they let go all at once rather than gradually. Machine Mart sell a cheap chain-hoist for about £40, which will overcome this problem.

Stafford
17-01-2011, 07:09 PM

HA, mine wouldn't come out bloody thing. All I wanted to do was change a worn chain guide.
If you don't have an Abba stand turn the footpegs upside down and switch sides then use a pair of axle stands to support the bike under the pegs. Make sure any holes and bits where bolts go are masked or protected from the coating in some way, ask your supplier for the best method.

littlejimmy12
17-01-2011, 07:48 PM
HA, mine wouldn't come out bloody thing. All I wanted to do was change a worn chain guide.
If you don't have an Abba stand turn the footpegs upside down and switch sides then use a pair of axle stands to support the bike under the pegs. Make sure any holes and bits where bolts go are masked or protected from the coating in some way, ask your supplier for the best method.

now thats a good idea - thanks

Panther
17-01-2011, 08:22 PM
removing mine was not to difficult for me, but I did have use hydrolic pallet lifer, I also supported the bike under the engine.

- Remember to loosen the pitch bolts on the swingarm before removing the pivot bolt (-the bolt that holds the swingarm to the engine). you might also need a wood/plastic bar and hammer to smack it out obviously the 'bar' will need to have a slightly smaller o.d than the pivot bolt

You can also find a schematic of your bike on the ducati website for rebuilding it too.

Good luck

P

Panther
17-01-2011, 08:27 PM
this might help

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9v5WXNjIDSo/SlRQF8E9s5I/AAAAAAAAB-E/AaoPh23U1TU/s640/620swingarm.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9v5WXNjIDSo/Sls-4rTyR2I/AAAAAAAACAc/70VEONZPBQA/s640/S1050854.JPG
As you won't have a hydrolic lifter. As Utopia said "Lifting via garage rafters" i would use a 'lorry' ratchet type strap.

gary tompkins
17-01-2011, 09:29 PM

Amen to that - and the shims are a total arse as well

Invented some new swear words for that one :D

Pomp1
17-01-2011, 10:40 PM

In the end on mine I've used a pneumatic hammer on low setting to get the spindle out..worked a treat..:spin: