PDA

View Full Version : new front end

Gerry
16-01-2011, 02:03 PM
I got the 4 pots, 320m discs and ST2 forks fitted today ..... managed to nip out as a "dry line" appeared in Chippenham

Braking far better and not as wooden as it used to be, front feels way better .... does not dive as much .. but need more time on the bike to experiment ... I could go with the default settings and be far happier than I was with the old Marzocchi forks.

I can confirm that the original "coffin" master cylinder works just fine, I cant belive how firm the lever feels.

Had to buy the front stand from HRS in Bristol coz I could not get the bike off the floor ..... really good value ... cheaper than on-line at £65. I really wish I had bought one of these years ago. It comes with a handfull of pins to locate in the bottom yoke but the monster is 28mm and there was not one big enough to fit. I found an old long sparkplug socket slid in there nice and one of the supplied pins slotted in fine. I think its a "bike tec" brand.

This S2r is turning into a really good bike, it's so good to ride .... is also a bit of a hooli now.

The old 600 wet clutch (with mods) feels great, I'm soo happy to be rid of the old sticky, grabby ATPC jobbie. Just need a set of tyres next as mine have gone off profile. Was thinking of a pair of Maxxis sport jobs, any opinions?

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=14771&stc=1&d=1295188721

Diego
16-01-2011, 02:50 PM
good work! are you planning to upgrade the rear shock as well?

Gilps
16-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Good job. It does look like the biketek stand. Rich at Louigi is a dealer for them. He supplied mine, along with the 28mm pin needed for the Monster.
Next step has to be the rear shock. Rich fitted a Nitron in mine and it made a big difference.
I still plan to get my forks sent off to Maxton or similar when I get the time and money as I just can't get them how I want them as they are.

Gerry
16-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Argghh .. if I'd have known Rich had them I'd have spent my money there.... I was going to divert to his place before going on into Bris ....

Hmm ... once I've got the new tyres on I'll know if I'm going to do any more handling wise .... I don't chuck it around like I used to. The front end was winding me up and needed sorting.

Got nice new lid too ... Arai Chaser Jungle Black .... need a new Black visor for it ....

Diego
16-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Good job. It does look like the biketek stand. Rich at Louigi is a dealer for them. He supplied mine, along with the 28mm pin needed for the Monster.
Next step has to be the rear shock. Rich fitted a Nitron in mine and it made a big difference.
I still plan to get my forks sent off to Maxton or similar when I get the time and money as I just can't get them how I want them as they are.

second the nitron as next step ;-)

Funkatronic
16-01-2011, 08:41 PM
nice work

the 800 with better brakes and forks a stupendous bike, after having an s2r 1000 im still finding i enjoy riding the 800 more even though the extra grunt is nice on the 1000. its more than just the clutch, its lighter and spins up faster so you can really chuck it about with confidence

I have heard wilburs shocks are very good too and they have a black instead of a turquoise spring (small point i know but i have been known to be a tart)

what happened to your Ohlins Diego? did it give up the ghost?

Diego
16-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Yeah the ohlins packed up for the 2nd time...fed up with it! I went for a Nitron Track Shock with hose mounted reservoir instead (with a black spring) instead....

http://www.pdq1.co.uk/part.php?PartID=744&MakeID=7&ModelID=75&YearID=5926&Year=2000