PDA

View Full Version : cheap satnav mod

scrapps
16-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I bought a satnav in the sales over christmas for use in the car but also had ideas of using it on the bikes if poss.
so I looked at lots of option but found this the best for me.
A company called so easy rider do a kit that is a water proof bag with a pocket for a extra battery and cheap speaker mod, but its all way to expensive £60 for the battery and £40 for the bag.
So I had a look on the net and found these. A bag with fittings for £24 that had room for a extra battery behind the satnav and the same Lithium-ion cell for £22.
The battery is charged via USB and supplies 5.5v it has led's to show charge level and came with plugs to be able to use on Ipods phones camaras etc, the bag fits fine on the Multi and will be ok on the Monster (when i re-fit the bars)
This is the best option for me as I did not want to fit supplies to both bikes (£30 each) buy two mounting kits and pull the bikes to bits to run the cables. this all sits in its own bag and with the Ion cell will be good for more hour than I will ride (12 hours or more)

I will take some pics and also hope to have good enough weather to give a proper road test soon.

alfjones
16-01-2011, 03:26 PM
That's good, another option is to wire a cigerette lighter socket to the battery. I had an old power inverter with the lighter adapter, cut off the croc clips and conected to the battery on my 1100. The socket fits nicely under the seat (With toolkit removed) and satnav cable comes out between seat and fuel tank. I have a Garmin satnav for use in a car, I just slip it into the clear pouch on top of my tankbag. I rode from North Germany down to channel tunnel and then up to the lakes with no problems at all. Far cheaper than a made for bike unit.

jerry
18-01-2011, 01:52 AM
I often stuff a garmin car satnav in my tankbag .

Funkatronic
18-01-2011, 05:55 AM
you can buy inline car lighter sockets from maplin for a few quid, if you get an in line fuse holder too you shouldnt need to pull the bike a apart to wire it to the fuse box, as you can wire direct to battery

uksurfer
18-01-2011, 06:01 AM
i got a cig lighter socket that plugs straight into the optimate charge connector

would be interested to see what bag you bought Scrapps, because i struggle a bit in sunlight to see mine through the top of the tank bag

Dookbob
18-01-2011, 09:50 AM
I just shove my car sat nav into my jacket pocket with a hands free ear piece hooked over my ear. If the voice command says "turn right" I turn right etc. I,m not happy looking at screens when riding the bike, I have enough trouble watching out for 4 wheel assassins as it is.

scrapps
18-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I did not want to use a cig socket as not waterproof and I would still need to run leads and swop bits when changing from Multi to Monster.
I just pop it in the bag with the extra battery and it clips to the bars no cables or hassle.
I have also seen the powerless ear sets that uses the sound tube system(£28) and as I had that system as a intercom once I had a look at a box of old bike bits and found I still had most of the kit, so I have now adapted that so I can also hear the satnav :D

I have taken pics but still need to sort out how to post them. (can email)

Gutsy
18-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Im so pleased this thread has come up as I've been looking at getting a waterproof one, but have a car tomtom so don't see the point in having two. I found a sturdy looking waterproof bag but will be interested to know how to continually charge it from the battery as well as how to hear the instructions?
Scrapps - please email me your pics - pm me in you need my address and you can't post the pics on here.

Thanks
Guts

scrapps
20-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Pictures of satnav.