PDA

View Full Version : Ducati ST4s ?

Thirdway
15-01-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm considering a garage partner for my Monster. After an extended bout of touring it became obvious that for distance work, particularly when it's really wet and cold, I need a bike with a fairing.

An ST4s has been offered at a half decent price. I know all about the chrome flaking/wheel bearing/warped discs/battery issues. Wondered if anyone has had experience with this bike? Yes. I know the ST3 is more reliable/smoother etc.

jerry
15-01-2011, 02:35 PM
ST4 is s good bike , wheel bearings are easy to change in less than 1 hour and cheap , warping discs er all ducatis can do that .....battery issues ..not any worse than other ducs ...flaking rockers is the only worry but let it warm up with good sytnthetic oil will minimise the risk.

if the bike is clean ,well serviced axample with history ..go for it.

Thirdway
15-01-2011, 03:12 PM
ST4 is s good bike , wheel bearings are easy to change in less than 1 hour and cheap , warping discs er all ducatis can do that .....battery issues ..not any worse than other ducs ...flaking rockers is the only worry but let it warm up with good sytnthetic oil will minimise the risk.

if the bike is clean ,well serviced axample with history ..go for it.

Yes, full service history 17K miles 2 owners and from a official Ducati dealer. Came with full, colour coded top box and panniers..........yes, I said came :D

Both previous owners have bought Ducati's again which is a good sign.

I had the warping discs on the Monster and didn't have time to sort them under warranty so had to invest in a pair of EBC wavy things.

Stafford
15-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Cracking touring tool, 500 miles a day is a breeze (with the comfort seat!) Deffo check and or change the earth leads mine starts so much better now, just need to add tax. As you already know there are certain styles of disc that are prone to warp, but if that's as bad as it gets never mind. They really respond well to pressure through the foot pegs as well, a good push really makes them turn well . Don't ride at night though the lights are ****!

Thirdway
15-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Cracking touring tool, 500 miles a day is a breeze (with the comfort seat!) Deffo check and or change the earth leads mine starts so much better now, just need to add tax. As you already know there are certain styles of disc that are prone to warp, but if that's as bad as it gets never mind. They really respond well to pressure through the foot pegs as well, a good push really makes them turn well . Don't ride at night though the lights are ****!

If it holds together then I will probably change the lights and seat.

What earth lead needs changing ?

Stafford
16-01-2011, 06:35 AM
I've done from the battery to frame along with the feeds to the solenoid and starter. She used to struggle to turn over, but much better now.

scrapps
16-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Also worth looking at Multistada's I picked up a very low milage one very cheap last summer and seems to be plenty for sale at the moment.
early ones have same rocker issues as ST but 05 on are a lot better.
Love mine loads of power and still good in the twistys for a large bike.(need long legs as it is tall)

Thirdway
16-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I have bought the ST4s and it will be arriving next week after getting a thorough checking over.

Never really liked the old multistrada's and they are a bit short of power for fast touring. One of the lads had one on our recent European tour and he struggled to keep up, even my Monster appeared to be a bit quicker.

The new Multi's are very quick, but again, giant seat height. I was considering trading in the Monster for the s model, but I would miss the simplicity and fun. The ST4s should give me the ability to tour at higher speeds in relative comfort leaving the Monster as the more usual Sunday fun bike.

scrapps
16-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Enjoy your new bike, its always nice getting new toys

Never heard anybody call the 1000ds engine under powered before ? mine pulls very well :spin: but it is a bit of a ugly duckling and not to mosts taste.

Thirdway
16-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Enjoy your new bike, its always nice getting new toys

Never heard anybody call the 1000ds engine under powered before ? mine pulls very well :spin: but it is a bit of a ugly duckling and not to mosts taste.

In the company of a K1300S with full race tune, 1198, Fireblade, BMW HP2 and a gaggle of Multistrada 1200s it is. It's not often that I need that pace, but on longer tours it's nice to have the option without my head being ripped from my shoulders.

Black Bob
17-01-2011, 10:18 AM
17,000 miles, eh?

Cracking touring tool

LOL!

The original ST4 was literally that - a cracking touring tool. Good friend of mine had one when they were first launched. Was on a tour, went to change gear and found the gear lever wasn't there anymore. In fact it had just dropped a few inches due the frame cracking around the rear engine mount. Engine was being held in by the forward bolts and the drive chain. Eeek!

Mileage? 17,000.

Got a replacement frame under warranty.

17,000 miles later, exactly the same thing. Another crack, same place.

Ducati refused to admit it was a design fault but for the ST4s they beefed up the frame. Hmmm. Anyway he got one of those, and then another. He's now on his 3rd ST4 and very happy with it.

So you should be OK with no frame worries, probably thanks to the fact that he and one or two others piled the miles on their original ST4 before the S came out. (Yes, others had the frame go at 17,000 miles too.)

Thirdway
17-01-2011, 11:51 AM
17,000 miles, eh?

LOL!

The original ST4 was literally that - a cracking touring tool. Good friend of mine had one when they were first launched. Was on a tour, went to change gear and found the gear lever wasn't there anymore. In fact it had just dropped a few inches due the frame cracking around the rear engine mount. Engine was being held in by the forward bolts and the drive chain. Eeek!

Mileage? 17,000.

Got a replacement frame under warranty.

17,000 miles later, exactly the same thing. Another crack, same place.

Ducati refused to admit it was a design fault but for the ST4s they beefed up the frame. Hmmm. Anyway he got one of those, and then another. He's now on his 3rd ST4 and very happy with it.

So you should be OK with no frame worries, probably thanks to the fact that he and one or two others piled the miles on their original ST4 before the S came out. (Yes, others had the frame go at 17,000 miles too.)

Yes, read about that and many other issues. I think it's good to go into these things with eyes open. It's interesting how the internet has actually made more of some issues than is the real case.

I mentioned to my dealer about the flaking chrome on rockers, he looked a bit suprised because they had never seen this on the 996 engines, only on a few 916's and my experience with the Monster 1100 is it starts on the button every time, hot or cold, yet reading the forums would lead to the conclusion that they are a pig to get going.

scrapps
17-01-2011, 12:07 PM
In the company of a K1300S with full race tune, 1198, Fireblade, BMW HP2 and a gaggle of Multistrada 1200s it is. It's not often that I need that pace, but on longer tours it's nice to have the option without my head being ripped from my shoulders.

That must be where I am going wrong I like to ride at a safe speed when my good lady is on the back or the bike has lots for gear on it.
I did not think you needed over 100bhp and a full race tune to tour.
I save my speeding for trackdays ;)

Take it easy on the St4 and enjoy the country side,mountains,coast roads

Thirdway
17-01-2011, 05:27 PM
That must be where I am going wrong I like to ride at a safe speed when my good lady is on the back or the bike has lots for gear on it.
I did not think you needed over 100bhp and a full race tune to tour.
I save my speeding for trackdays ;)

Take it easy on the St4 and enjoy the country side,mountains,coast roads

No pillions on those trips. My usual rides are fairly restrained, but with a group of very experienced riders this is in another league. Safe speed is in the eye of the beholder. The guy with the K1300S is getting on for 70 years old and most of the group are mid 50's, early 60's. Sat Nav confirmed the K1300s as 168mph on the Autobahn. The rider has only ever had one small off and has ridden since he was 6 years old ! 2 riders are ex race instructors from Ron Haslams school.

You probably get the idea, the scenery comes second.

scrapps
18-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I must admit thats a very skilled and high paced group and I would be left way way behind on any bike.
Still take it easy and enjoy the view :thumbsup: (and yes a 1100s or 1200 multi would be needed)

Thirdway
18-01-2011, 05:34 PM
I must admit thats a very skilled and high paced group and I would be left way way behind on any bike.
Still take it easy and enjoy the view :thumbsup: (and yes a 1100s or 1200 multi would be needed)

I didn't know any of the group but was enticed along by my dealer as he had organised the event.

We had a pre ride out in the UK which got into silly speeds from my perspective and almost made me drop out of the tour. The dealer subsequently gave me a degree of comfort by telling me that several of the riders on the tour were in their 60's and 70's.

It's now quite clear to me that age is no barrier to riding extremely fast :D and despite one or two seeming to struggle to walk, when they were transferred to the seat of a bike the apparent infirmity vanished.

I learned a lot, even after many years of riding they were able to give me lots of tips that are not shown in any books.