PDA

View Full Version : Iom tt

steeevvvooo
14-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Booked for the TT yesterday! My 1st time over there… can't wait! :D :D :D

Anyone else going? I'll be there from Weds 1st June to Sunday 5th June. Know there are a couple of islanders on here, and hopefully some other making the trip.

Stuart42
14-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi Steve

am sure you'll have a cracking time over there, is quite something if you've never been before.

Have a good one

Cheers
Stuart

Grumpy
16-01-2011, 08:55 AM
i've been 3 times, loved it!

enjoy.

BluprintZ
16-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm sure you'll enjoy it Steve, i went for the first time in 2008 on the M900, just after i bought it, then when i got home i realised that i had just ridden a Ducati around the mountain course, as a biker for over 40 years, that was a big deal and a bit of an achievement for me.

I also went last year as well, although i was conscripted to spanner for a Welsh race team this time, did manage a few days on the bike though when there was no racing.
My favorite places away from the racing are Peel and Laxey, quite interesting places.
Could well be going this year, depends on several things really.
You camping or have you managed a homeshare?

G ; )

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=258104&id=614566818

steeevvvooo
16-01-2011, 11:48 AM
pics look great! Thanks for the tips as well, I'll add them to the list of places to see :thumbsup:

We're camping on quarterbridge (?) site. 6 bikes, 7 lads in total. Really looking forward to it. Closer to the time we could arrange an IOM UKMOC meet if there are a few of us over there...

Grumpy
16-01-2011, 04:07 PM
pics look great! Thanks for the tips as well, I'll add them to the list of places to see :thumbsup:

We're camping on quarterbridge (?) site. 6 bikes, 7 lads in total. Really looking forward to it. Closer to the time we could arrange an IOM UKMOC meet if there are a few of us over there...

The pub at Quarterbridge was ( when I last went in '99) a great place.
Its not the best place to watch the racing from , in my opinion, personally I would head for The bungalow, or Ginger Hall. I'm sure other people have their personal favourites which they will suggest.
I always stayed in Douglas, as that is where most of the night life happens.
Also as already mentioned, Laxey is a peaceful spot to visit.I would also suggest the folly on the head just outside Peel, from the top on a good day you can just see Ireland!

steeevvvooo
16-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Quarterbridge is the Douglas rugby club in/near Old Laxey right? We just took the recommendation from the people we booked the ferry with. Sort of using this trip as a sighting trip, learn what's good and what's not, then do it all again next year!! :D

steeevvvooo
16-01-2011, 05:45 PM
In fact, ignore that, it's in Douglas. Sounds like we won't struggle for nightlife then... probably for the best with 7 blokes! ;)

BluprintZ
16-01-2011, 11:37 PM
We camped at Union Mills in 2008, plenty of space and a short cut at the back of the field, in case you miss the roads closing, it takes you into the back lanes.
Good breakfast hut at 8.30.am. Toilets, showers, might stay there again if i go this year.

This me and a mate at Peel in 2008.

G ; )

utopia
17-01-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm too embarassed to admit how many years it is since I first wanted to go to the TT...and I still haven't been.
For the last two years I have been conviced that finally I would make it over, but it didn't happen.
So....this year I definitely, definitely intend to go.
I should book a crossing now (any advice much appreciated)
I was told of a campsite at St Johns, which is where I plan to stay.

I'm a bit dubious about ferrying the bike as I've not done it before.
In these days of sidestands only, do the ferries have secure locations for the bike, ie some sort of wheel clamps, and do tanks have to be drained or is that ancient history ?

Rally
17-01-2011, 05:21 AM
In these days of sidestands only, do the ferries have secure locations for the bike, ie some sort of wheel clamps, and do tanks have to be drained or is that ancient history ?

Steampacket are very use to taking bikes, so don't worry at all. You don't have to drain he tank and can go with what ever is in there (They do ask for no more than 1/2 though). They will strap it down for you if you are not sure. Have a great time if you make it this year, you won't regret it. :spin:

BluprintZ
17-01-2011, 10:05 AM
As Rally says, don't worry about the bike being secure on the ferry, they strap them down ok.
I usually have look on e-bay for tickets, nearer the time.
Haven't had a problem getting one quite a bit cheaper than normal, some get the tickets early on, then something crops up and they can't go, so they put their tickets up for sale.
I'll help you out neary the time, if you are struggling getting a ticket Jeff.

G ; )

steeevvvooo
17-01-2011, 10:50 AM
I booked through regency travel. £248 for ferry, including bike, and 4 nights camping at the quarterbridge site. Give them a call, as they are the official agent for the TT and can sort everything out at once.

Ferrys were thin on the ground from Liverpool though when I booked, so I'd recommend calling them sooner rather than later...