PDA

View Full Version : London Motorcycle Show

Zbornak
12-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I plan to attend the London Motorcyle Show in February to buy some kit. Probably jacket and trousers as I possibly will be getting helmet and gloves from elsewhere.

Should I be buying kit first? Or should I spend my money on lessons? My reasoning is that I'm hoping to get cheap end of the line/season kit in the ExCel.

Another question! Should I go first thing on the first day to get the good on-sale items or should I go on the last day and haggle with retailers who are trying to get rid of their stock?

Cheers,

Dan

bex
13-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Dunno whats the best day to go, but you'll need kit for lessons - a jacket and a helmet at a minimum, so its worth getting stuff at the show hopefully with a bit of discount.

J.P
13-01-2011, 07:53 AM
You can do your lessons in the basics of a Crash helmet and gloves and some sturdy boots, the only official thing you need is a crash helmet. So it all depends on how much money you want to spend now.
www.Helmet City is a good place for cheap helmets but worth checking before the show and them you know what the difference is going to be. That could be £100-£500 for a helmet, £100 to £300 to a textile suit, £100 for a good pair of boots, £30-£100 for gloves. It all adds up.

A Direct Access course is what £800 nowadays ?

slob
13-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Personally I'd try and get there early if you're an 'in-between' size, by the last day or two most of the bargains are XXL or XXS only.

J.P
13-01-2011, 08:54 AM
it's been a long time since I was ever an XXS

Rally
13-01-2011, 03:49 PM
George Whites in Swindon are the cheapest around these days. They will have a stand at the show as well though. :) 01793 716716

chris yeatman
13-01-2011, 07:28 PM
George Whites in Swindon are the cheapest around these days

only if their have anything that will fit ya!! :spin:

chris yeatman
13-01-2011, 07:31 PM
it's been a long time since I was ever an XXS

never knew they made that size!!

Zbornak
14-01-2011, 12:49 AM
You can do your lessons in the basics of a Crash helmet and gloves and some sturdy boots, the only official thing you need is a crash helmet. So it all depends on how much money you want to spend now.
www.Helmet City is a good place for cheap helmets but worth checking before the show and them you know what the difference is going to be. That could be £100-£500 for a helmet, £100 to £300 to a textile suit, £100 for a good pair of boots, £30-£100 for gloves. It all adds up.

A Direct Access course is what £800 nowadays ?Pretty much. £721 for everything from no experience to having a full licence. That's of course if I manage to pass all tests first time and do the average amount of lessons.

I'm a XS-S chest and about a 30 waist so I unfortunatly I will need to shop around to get the right stuff that fits.

George Whites in Swindon are the cheapest around these days. They will have a stand at the show as well though. :) 01793 716716I'll be sure to look out for them. ;)

Thanks for the replies all.

J.P
14-01-2011, 07:13 AM
Jeez, if you're that small you might need a mini-moto !

yantheman
14-01-2011, 07:20 AM
lol! I am the same size :D not easy to find stuff that fits, not that many dealers stock XS for men.... I should eat more pies... :running:

AndyC_772
14-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Should I be buying kit first? Or should I spend my money on lessons? My reasoning is that I'm hoping to get cheap end of the line/season kit in the ExCel.

Many schools do have kit for students to use, but I wasn't too keen on the idea of wearing someone else's sweaty, ill-fitting gear when I knew I'd need to buy my own at some point anyway. So what I did was:

- an introductory session, using the school's kit, to get comfy on the bike and build up a bit of confidence

- go out and buy a helmet, boots and leathers

- turn up for CBT. Note that I'm the only one there with his own gear - but also that I'm the only one properly protected and whose helmet actually fits properly

- pick up my 125cc bike the day after :) Ride it for a few weeks, then...

- DAS training on the school's 500cc bike

- between mod 1 & 2 tests, go out bike shopping. Watch other half buy Monster for herself :spin:

- pass test :thumbsup:

- buy own bike and sell 125

steeevvvooo
14-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Many schools do have kit for students to use, but I wasn't too keen on the idea of wearing someone else's sweaty, ill-fitting gear when I knew I'd need to buy my own at some point anyway. So what I did was:

- an introductory session, using the school's kit, to get comfy on the bike and build up a bit of confidence

- go out and buy a helmet, boots and leathers

- turn up for CBT. Note that I'm the only one there with his own gear - but also that I'm the only one properly protected and whose helmet actually fits properly

- pick up my 125cc bike the day after :) Ride it for a few weeks, then...

- DAS training on the school's 500cc bike

- between mod 1 & 2 tests, go out bike shopping. Watch other half buy Monster for herself :spin:

- pass test :thumbsup:

- buy own bike and sell 125

I was similar. Did the CBT, went and bought all the gear, then rode for about 6 months to get confident (but not long enough to pick up bad habbits!). Did a 3/4 day course (can't remember now) as I had CBT and some experience. That was over £500 before the module 1 and 2 bit, so £721 sounds ok considering it's CBT as well!

If you know you definitely want to ride (and you've done the 1 hr taster so guess that's true) then buy some kit before you take lessons.

Next comes the textiles vs leather debate…

:banghead:

J.P
14-01-2011, 10:30 AM

I much prefer leather pants as the textile ones itch after a while :)

steeevvvooo
14-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I have goretex Hein Gericke gear, which was expensive, but has lasted about 3 years so far. I commute so it takes a beating! The waterproofness is good (as in I don't get wet) but the goretex/finish needs refreshing as it doesn't bead water like it used to. Removable lining, loads of vents, storm proof neck, waterproof pockets etc.

I have cheap leathers (were Hein Gericke's entry level) that really only get used on sunny days but I'm looking into a decent set for this summer. Probably a two piece so I can mix and match with textiles like JP…

J.P
14-01-2011, 11:10 AM
A Big word of advice if your paying out for a new textile or leather suit, is to really make sure you're happy with it and look around, it's too costly to buy an outfit and then find it's too heavy, too light, not dry enough, then have to go out and buy a whole new set. If you buy quality first it'll last longer and be better in the end.

He11cat
14-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Don't start with loads of flash gear.
Basic stuff is fine and a decent well fitting lid.
Let's just say your more likely to damage stuff or fall off when your a new rider.

I recal clonking crash helmets , falling off quite a bit , and just clumseyness on my part at first!
The main thing is proper fitting lid and some all weather gear.
I now ride in draggin jeans mostly.
But make sure padding sits in the right place as well.
I then have upgraded bits over the years .

AndyC_772
14-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I have a slightly different opinion here... I reckon protective kit is there to save you from injury if you fall off, and you're far more likely to fall off when you've got less experience. So if you're ever going to have good quality protective kit at all, you're better off getting it straight away.

ladybird
14-01-2011, 01:05 PM

skank can probably give some advice on 'all weather' gear

over the years i have all sorts.
currently in a nice yellow textile jacket and leather trousers for winter
i picked up a 2 piece, which had to have custom made, but i mostly wear the jacket with jeans
my first jacket was leather and just used to wear jeans with that
went for a textile went the zip went on that.

textiles dry out quicker and you get more pockets, but leather is always 'cool'

gloves are most important, get ones that are comfortable and warm for the winter and comfortable and aerated for the summer (make sure the thumbs aren't too long or you end up hitting the horn when you meant to indicate :) )

oh and all trousers, espcially the two peice, make your arse look big

Paivi
14-01-2011, 01:11 PM
oh and all trousers, espcially the two peice, make your arse look big
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Quite how that explains why my arse looks big in a skirt, too...

ladybird
14-01-2011, 01:12 PM
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Quite how that explains why my arse looks big in a skirt, too...

you should take the trousers off before putting on the skirt :)

Paivi
14-01-2011, 02:00 PM
you should take the trousers off before putting on the skirt :)
Ah, good thinking, 99!

Zbornak
14-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Lot's of conflicting opinions here! But that's a good thing; I'm going to compromise somewhere in the middle:

- I have a helmet already that is old but is still safe and fits well. I'll be using that as my first helmet as I have to anticipate that I might have some falls in the first part of my riding career.

- Spend good money on decent, safe gloves for the summer that allow for a good range of movement. I'll buy winter gloves later on this year.

- Buy budget textiles that I feel safe and comfortable in and make sure the armour is positioned in the right places. When I'm earning more, I'll join the cool club and buy some long lasting leathers.

- Invest in a good pair of boots as presumably, they are the one item of gear that is the least likely to get damaged. Unless I become one of those riders that ride with their feet down when going under 10mph.

I'll get my dad to come with me to the show because he'll be a helpful hand in terms of choosing gear.

Char
14-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Lot's of conflicting opinions here! But that's a good thing; I'm going to compromise somewhere in the middle:

- I have a helmet already that is old but is still safe and fits well. I'll be using that as my first helmet as I have to anticipate that I might have some falls in the first part of my riding career.

- Spend good money on decent, safe gloves for the summer that allow for a good range of movement. I'll buy winter gloves later on this year.

- Buy budget textiles that I feel safe and comfortable in and make sure the armour is positioned in the right places. When I'm earning more, I'll join the cool club and buy some long lasting leathers.

- Invest in a good pair of boots as presumably, they are the one item of gear that is the least likely to get damaged. Unless I become one of those riders that ride with their feet down when going under 10mph.

I'll get my dad to come with me to the show because he'll be a helpful hand in terms of choosing gear.

Looks like you have it sorted - especially your dad - make sure he brings his wallet :spin:

He11cat
14-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Good boots helmet and gloves .
When I say flash I'm talking don't rush out to buy ALpine Stars full kit or this years Corse wear!
Let's face it is a named 2010 coloured gear any worse then 2011 range , no that's when bike gear meets fashion lol.. Oi look at you in your 2009 gear that's sooo last season!
Yes it does go on!!

There's lots of good gear out there with good protection and a sencible price tag :)
that's what I meant! Not buy cheapo fall apart stuff.
Get what suits your pocket!

But a good helmet gloves and boots are essential as those are the bits that are most vunerable.
I wear £300 boots one of my helmets was a stupid £600 and decent gloves.
My daytona boots will last me years and protection is great!
Lids I have 2 favoured brands one is pricey but I like that brand.
The rest of my gear is not flash but it does the job!

Good luck :)

Paivi
14-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Invest in a good pair of boots as presumably, they are the one item of gear that is the least likely to get damaged.
IIRC, the likelihood of damage is: gloves, boots, helmet, jacket, trousers. If you come off, you're subconsciously trying to stop the fall and put your hands out, so the gloves get damaged. You're also likely to have the leg caught between the road and the bike, so get good boots.

MrsC_772
14-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I sympathise with the money-to-learn vs money-on-kit dilemma. When I first got into bikes I realised that I could either afford to do DAS (but not buy a bike) or buy a 125 and kit, ride round on L plates, do the test and accept I'd be on a restricted licence for a couple of years. I went down the latter route, with a trip to the BMF show to pick up a cheap textile jacket and leather trousers.

I second Paivi's advice about good boots - I forget where it was I read or was told that it's your feet and ankles that are most likely to be injured in bike accidents, so a decent pair of boots with is well worthwhile.

The one time I rode my motorbike in Doc Martens as opposed to bike boots my feet and ankles didn't half feel exposed.

If you're not-the-average-biker-sized, you may be more likely to find some cheap kit at the show.

Grumpy
16-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Be careful using an old helmet the advise from manufacturers, generally , is if its a polycarb, the useful life is about 2 yrs, if its a fibreglass/composite approx 5yrs, dependent on usage and care.
By Arai is 4 yrs old and will be replaced this yr. The shell is showing sign of age and the strap is starting to fray.

SBAbruzzo
16-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Like you, I am quite new to motorbikes. The advice I was given was to buy cheap (but safe) kit while one is learning as it will get trashed and only with time will you really know what you need and like. If you can therefore borrow kit from the school, all the better, although I agree with one reply that using a sweaty lid...... I opted for the AGV S4 SV (good thread on this one) which works for me, light, good Sharp rating and not too expensive. I also know its not been dropped. Try lots on as some heads are more suited to certain makes. Also learn about how to choose a proper sized helmet, there is some good guidance on the internet.

There was also a comment about accidents and feet being the most exposed, I read this somewhere as well and went for a pair of Sidi's, I think they are B2 Gortex, can't be sure as there is no label on them! Anyway, they are comfortable, waterproof and appear to give good protection quite high up the calf.

If you're on a budget I would beg and borrow so as to spend as much money on courses as you can.

J.P
18-01-2011, 04:27 PM
You were looking for some clothing right, here's a voucher off that might interest you,
http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=39822

slob
18-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I'd recommend a look round Hein Gericke anyway, generally very good value for money.

gary tompkins
18-01-2011, 08:52 PM
I much prefer leather pants as the textile ones itch after a while :)

I did tell you that riding commando has it's drawbacks :twak:

Zbornak
18-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Be careful using an old helmet the advise from manufacturers, generally , is if its a polycarb, the useful life is about 2 yrs, if its a fibreglass/composite approx 5yrs, dependent on usage and care.
By Arai is 4 yrs old and will be replaced this yr. The shell is showing sign of age and the strap is starting to fray.
Oh right. I shant be using the old helmet then as it's gone way past it's 'safety' life. Damn, more on the gear budget!
Like you, I am quite new to motorbikes. The advice I was given was to buy cheap (but safe) kit while one is learning as it will get trashed and only with time will you really know what you need and like. If you're on a budget I would beg and borrow so as to spend as much money on courses as you can.Thanks for the advice. I'll try and go down the cheap and safe route.

You were looking for some clothing right, here's a voucher off that might interest you,
http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=39822Cheers. Might just have to grab that.

Pomp1
18-01-2011, 10:32 PM
The shell is showing sign of age and the strap is starting to fray.

We're still taking crash helmets here J?

He11cat
18-01-2011, 10:39 PM
I reckon he is talking about that Chrome WW1 German helmet with the spike on top he wears on t'other bike on sundays ..:spin:

Zbornak
06-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Well it was a wicked show and I bought some great stuff for bargain prices.

Fieldsheer textile jacket with Knox elbow and shoulder armour. £25.
Blitz racing boots, very comfortable with toe, ankle and shin protection. £40 haggled from £45.
Sparx (ACU Gold badge) lid. £30 with free tinted visor.
Nitro spring/summer racing gloves. £15 haggled from £25.
Kiwi backpack for being such a good customer. Free.

The Ducati stand was by far the best (bikes and girls) and was attracting the most attention. Sat on two Monsters and their Diavel.

So my gear has cost £110 and all I need to get now is a good pair of trousers, probably leather. Wouldn't be surprised if the trousers cost more than what I spent today.

Pomp1
07-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Well it was a wicked show and I bought some great stuff for bargain prices.

Fieldsheer textile jacket with Knox elbow and shoulder armour. £25.
Blitz racing boots, very comfortable with toe, ankle and shin protection. £40 haggled from £45.
Sparx (ACU Gold badge) lid. £30 with free tinted visor.
Nitro spring/summer racing gloves. £15 haggled from £25.
Kiwi backpack for being such a good customer. Free.

The Ducati stand was by far the best (bikes and girls) and was attracting the most attention. Sat on two Monsters and their Diavel.

So my gear has cost £110 and all I need to get now is a good pair of trousers, probably leather. Wouldn't be surprised if the trousers cost more than what I spent today.

Got a pair of mint Fieldsheer leather trousers size S if you're interested. 45 quid posted PM for pics if interested

Zbornak
08-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks, PM sent.