PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fibre refurb???

jerry
11-01-2011, 03:10 AM
THe CF on my S4 is fading in Thailands Sun ...I plan to wash it thoroughly with Thinners then with soap and water sand lightly with 800wet and dry and water , then spray acrylic clear coat several times un til it looks nice and shiny and dark again .

any other tips please

bigredduke
11-01-2011, 09:05 AM
I suspect that it is the clear lacquer that is fading rather than the cf itself but I couldn't say for definite. I had some cf parts professionally resprayed with clear lacquer some time ago and they came up like new. it may be possible to get a clear coat which is UV resistant. I believe it's the UV that does the damage.

Nickj
11-01-2011, 11:46 AM
If it's not 'raw' CF then a light surface prep and a light brush coat of slow cure epoxy to seal, cut back the expoxy and repeat about twice to the finish coat works. You get a finish like lacquer but much tougher
I'd use west syatems expoxyhttp://www.westsystem.com/ss/

jerry
12-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Well so far I have done all the big parts both termi cans and the front mudguard and the hugger all look like New and shiny now ...brilliant !......., next items are the belt covers, side panels and the radiator side guards , all smaller so should be easy peasy .

scrapps
12-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Glad it went well. I have seen loads of bikes around with carbon that it starting to look tatty and am glad to hear its easy to sort (for when mine starts to look dull)

jerry
13-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Of course Now i will have to do the 2 UK bikes as well ...but they are not as bad even though much older as the sun aint so harsh and the only C/F arethe cans any how.

I reckon the S4 will have to have this treatment every 2 -3 years in the tropics.