PDA

View Full Version : rack wanted

mbk
06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
i am looking for a rack for my 2010 696,anybody got one to sell or tell me what sort i should buy and where from:fiery:

stopintime
06-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Givi makes a 696 rack for a top case.
Why not a soft bag strapped to the passenger seat?

mbk
06-01-2011, 10:19 AM
thanks will have a look at the givi,the strapped bag option needs loking into.

mbk
18-01-2011, 06:01 AM
hi guys got sorted bougnt a seat bag off fleabay,proper duke one for my 696.
thanks for the tips
mark:drunk:

ladybird
18-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Givi makes a 696 rack for a top case.
Why not a soft bag strapped to the passenger seat?

that's no way to talk about a pillion ...

mbk
18-01-2011, 12:20 PM
ha ha mayby not.dont tell the missus

Lucati
18-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Hey, i bought one of the official ducati seat storage bags, it was the one that zips on and off and comes with a grey waterproof cover. Only problem is, even with the cover on it's totally un-waterproof! The actual base of the bag is not waterproof and sucks moisture up like a sponge when it rains. On a road trip last year my entire contents were knackered including mobile phone - just make sure you wrap everything up in plastic bags!;)

mbk
19-01-2011, 08:31 AM
sounds like the one i have jus bought,will wrap all my things up thanks for the tip:drunk:

He11cat
19-01-2011, 11:14 AM
or buy a rucksac liner bag from Millets or Blacks they do waterproof rucksac liners bung everything in it and roll the top and pop in your bag.
They are a fraction of the price of branded luggage ones and do the same.

I am really quite cross as you pay alot of lolly for some of these bags / luggage and on a bike you are exsposed to the weather.

Even the top notch gear is not waterproof it seems and when some of its well over £100 a pop make the dam things waterproof please!!..

That or waterproof it with nikwax or textile stuff.
My tank bag is not waterproof ... my rucksac .. not waterproof .. can't be hard really to just line the dame things (guess who got wet and is crabby!)...
I guess im a stickler for if you make something functional its got to work properly and tick as many boxes as poss... this is England it rains ... lots :)

utopia
19-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I've heard good reports on 'Ortlieb' waterproof luggage.
I bought some at the NEC show, but haven't tried it out yet.

rollo22
19-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Kreiga is the way to go.
Very versatile and does what it says on the can

He11cat
19-01-2011, 02:23 PM
yup but tis not waterproof either !! I have an R20 not waterproof... and got told waterproof R 30 leaks ..
via the pockets on the back!.
There are two good brands I do believe Ortlieb' was the other one... doh!!!
I missed out on seeing.
I mainly use an el cheapo rucksack prob from Croydon Market :)
and its pretty waterproof but ergonomically not fab for my back.
But does to carry chains and pot noodles !!.. and stays dry.
So why does a tatty £9.99 rucksac fair better then grrrrrr...

My tank bag I use as a tail pack on a rack :) as I cant see over tank bags and again everything gets in the way !

Banus
20-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I recall watching the Long way Down with McGREGOR and BOORMAN. They had all their kit donated by various manufacturers keep to be assiciated with the trip. Money was no object and the firms providing the kit got a lot of free publicity out of it.
Everything leaked! By the time they got to Dover, BOORMAN took his boots off and literally poured a pint of rain water out - and that's when money is no object. The only way your going to stay waterproof is by wearing wellies!

utopia
20-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Money may have been no object, but I'm not sure they had an entirely free choice.....apparently Boorman wanted to do the trip on KTMs.
The guy that sold me my ortlieb pack was totally convincing about their waterproof qualities and had clearly done a lot of touring over many years, so I'm hopeful.
This all reminds me of my favourite quote from Bike Mag in recent years. It went somethig like......
Definitions....1) wet-sumping....That inevitable damp feeling that always hits first in the groin area, as in...... "less than 20 miles from Calais en route to le mans and my new, super-expensive, guaranteed waterproof suit was already wet-sumping. At this rate I'll have trench-cock by the time we get to the Bol."

mbk
21-01-2011, 11:19 AM
nice quote,all the rain suits i have had in the past seem to leak in the crotch area first:spin: