PDA

View Full Version : Buying new bike

pegboy
04-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Firstly HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL hope you all had a good one.

I am looking at a s2r 1000 on Saturday it has not been started since the summer I have offered to get it running was thinking of taking another battery and start the bike? The battery is from my m600 will it do just to get it started, also is there anything that could be a problem if been sitting around for a long time without starting??? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Rally
04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Condensation in the fuel system so may need replenishing, rusty plugs (but usually okay), mice in the air box!
Apart from those, you should be okay with a spare battery. :D Good luck.

gary tompkins
04-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Cam belts might have suffered a bit - depending on how old they were before the lay up

Oil and filter may also need replacing depending on mileage covered

pegboy
04-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Thank you will keep all that in mind and have a good look over her, it has been kept in a private garage so not outdoor exposed to the elements i have been told its in very good original condition no mods etc and only 3400ish miles so I assume it will be due it's major service??

gary tompkins
04-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Depends when the last service was done, but it may have only been an initial 600 mile oil/filter and general check over. Intervals are normally 6000 for minor and 12000 major, so this monster has a few miles in hand yet. However some items like belts should be swapped at 2 year intervals regardless of mileage. If this monster is several years old it wouldn't hurt to give it a full engine service. A quick check on it's service history will tell you what's been done, when and by who.

Ducati increased service interval to 7500 miles for 2008 onwards models of the S2R1000, but some mechanics feel that is pushing it a bit. You need to check chassis number rather than reg number to prove exact year, as many Ducati's sit in storage or dealers for a while before being sold. My own 900ie left the factory in early 2001, but wasn't registered until February 2002 on a 52 plate.

JaKS
05-01-2011, 11:24 AM
If there is a vapour space in the tank, and there will be, the butane element of the fuel will evaporate after six months.
So the fuel will be a problem. Drain it and replace.

manwithredbike
05-01-2011, 07:06 PM
if you can, bring a hair drier and prop it pointing at the top of the engine for a quarter hour or as long as you can manage. the bike should start first push of the button providing there's enough charge in the battery to just about turn it over.
has worked for me year after year after long lay ups even with old plugs and old petrol in tanks.
once it starts up, put some fresh petrol in the tank.

pegboy
09-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Well today I became a very excited owner of a S2R 1000. Black with white stripe will post some pictures when on a computer can not load from iPhone.

OK Picture attached, i think:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

big pete
10-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Very, very nice!. Lucky guy.

J.P
10-01-2011, 08:20 AM
New Year, New Bike, brilliant.

Shuffy
10-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Well done, definitely worth the wait and an excellent choice too!

Stafford
10-01-2011, 09:55 AM
If Carlsberg made Monsters.........
Nice one

steeevvvooo
10-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Nice. Like it a lot! :thumbsup:

Ready for another Cadwell track day? Take it easy on your new bike though :D

(Unless you are you keeping the other one to track on?)

Mr.Number
10-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Great bike, youl love it.

pegboy
10-01-2011, 01:02 PM
No track day on this for a while will definately bin it if i did, might turn the other bike into a track bike or keep it for commuting or both, don't know yet, all i can think about is Rizoma Rizoma and termi termi:D:D:D

If i go crazy and purchase lots of bling for the the bike, firstly the junior monster will get upset then the missus will want something and she more expensive than the two put together, :) Pissst: Don't tell her i said that.:D

Nice. Like it a lot! :thumbsup:

Ready for another Cadwell track day? Take it easy on your new bike though :D

(Unless you are you keeping the other one to track on?)

JaKS
10-01-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm desperate to know if it started!!

utopia
10-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Very nice bike.
Isn't it great when you wake up the next morning and remember that you've bought a new bike ?
I once had a dream that I'd bought a brand new Z1B Kawasaki, and on waking up I spent about 5 mins basking in the memory before I realised that it was actually true and the bike was down in the garage waiting to be ridden.
Needless to say, I promptly threw a sickie and had the day off work.

pegboy
10-01-2011, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=JaKS;375080]I'm desperate to know if it started!![/QUOTE

Fired up and ran straight away no issues at all

yantheman
10-01-2011, 05:57 PM
congratulations Paolo, I am so so jealous! show us the new bike at the next rideout :D

Mohawk
10-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Brilliant, really pleased you found one. Looks great!

Funkatronic
10-01-2011, 08:56 PM
mate im almost as excited as you now were twin twins ;-)

and my smug glow regarding the price i paid for mine has evaported completely (bastard!!! ;-) pretty much a mint bike for a proper bargain price well played

looking forward to seeing her all cleaned up shiney and cobweb free (which wont take you long im sure)

vtaggart
10-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Lovely bike good luck

Vince

gary tompkins
11-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Glad you managed to do the deal in the end - nice colour scheme too. If you consider outing the M600 there is sure to be a few buyers about come the spring. Look forward to catching up with you at some point in 2011

pegboy
15-01-2011, 07:22 AM
:Started working on the bike last night timing belts changed, front and rear brake fluid changed, clutch fluid changed, tyres pressures, chain lube and adjustment ok etc etc tonight will warm the bike up change oil and filter and then ready to ride, just need the registration to come through so hopefully will in a week or so be out riding me "Kylie". Exciting times ahead!:D:D

Funkatronic
15-01-2011, 08:00 AM
lol named her already ;-)

she has nicer behind than the the other kylie

did you get the insurnace quote from ducati insurance/wicked quotes?

pegboy
15-01-2011, 08:45 AM
For now I added it to my existing insurance although I did request a quote online but no response yet. Mine expires in June this year so plenty of time

steeevvvooo
15-01-2011, 08:52 AM
did you get the insurnace quote from ducati insurance/wicked quotes?

+1 for Wicked quotes mate. Was miles cheaper for me. Only found out later that Ducati insurance is one and the same! :banghead:

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, I like the black/white scheme. :thumbsup:

pegboy
22-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Took me girl out for little ride today to get an MOT, OMG it was the most exciting and scarey experience i have had in a long time on a bike. Didn't help that the roads feel very slippery. Can not wait for a nice day to get out and go for a decednt ride, oh exciting times ahead, so next ride out????