PDA

View Full Version : S2R tank on M750?

PedroII
13-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone, wondering if someone can shed some light on this one: was thinking of respraying my tank (which would need a dent fixed), but saw a S2R tank on ebay and thinking it might be cheaper just to buy it (depending on how much will go for) as its already the color I'm looking for.

Question is will the S2R tank fit/work on my 2001 M750 carbie?

Cheers,
Pedro

He11cat
13-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I would say it would need replumbing .
I kept seeing tanks I liked but all fuel injected.
To change the plumbing I think is a bit of a faff also the bit where your seat fits snug on the tank is a different shape so you'd have an odd looking seat.
In that sence it's cheaper to have the dent done then sort the tank out and the seat and cover. Looked myself at similar...

slob
13-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Assuming that yours has the right shape cutouts for the seat, earlier Monsters have a much more angular recess for the seat, bear in mind that S2R has a plastic tank with a plate on the bottom that houses the pump and filter, a completely different arrrangement to yours, which has a removable filler neck to allow access to pump and filter. If the tank comes without the internals you have to track down those bits which will likely cost the same again. It may not fit over the airbox and battery correctly, since these are layed out differently on a carbie and ie. Anything can be made to fit, but it's probably way easier to look for another carbie tank as a spare and get one or other re-sprayed.

utopia
13-12-2010, 11:50 PM
I was going to ask exactly the same question, as I'm looking to respray my 750 carby but I want to keep my original painted bits cos its a one-off colour scheme and actually looks quite slick.
But now I'm more confused......
My bike is a 2000 model, so maybe that accounts for it, but my tank has an external filter and (vacuum) fuel pump rather than the internal ones that Slob describes.
So, two questions :-
1) Which other models/years have a tank which would be a direct replacement for the one I already have ? (2000 M750 carby)
2) Is it possible to fit a tank with internal filter and pump which would be identical to my original one in every other respect ?
The reason I ask the second question is that I am in the process of fitting carbon airscoops (for cosmetic reasons as much as anything, but I probably wouldn't have bothered if it weren't for the added benefits to vertical cylinder cooling). Trouble is, when I look down the right hand scoop, all I can see is a bl..dy great fuel pump blocking the flow of scooped air. I'm even starting to wonder whether this is going to make the carbs tend to ice more readily, due to the forced cooling of the pump and fuel within......?
Anyway, if I could fit a tank with an internal pump I would avoid both problems (and wouldn't feel so guilty about fitting carbon fibre frippery for mere cosmetic reasons).
At the moment the right hand scoop must be acting as much as an air-brake as an aid to cylinder cooling. Who knows, it might even lead to understeer on fast left handers......!!! (kinda like the dangly leg, but in reverse).......:eek:
Actually, what with reports of plastic tanks failing with high ethanol petrol and older steel tanks springing leaks at the hinge, I'm seriously beginning to consider the notion of an ally tank. I guess it would have to be a one-off though, unless anyone knows of an aftermarket supplier...????
....or alternatively, watch this space for a chance to buy into a small batch of custom ally monster tanks.
Hmmmm, now that I think of it a nice tricolour across an ally tank with polished metal instead of the white stripe could be just the kind of old school chic that floats my boat.
The price is likely to be ridiculous, but this bike is (as I may just have mentioned before) a lifetime keeper, so I can maybe justify the no-expense-spared approach.....(damn, ..that keeps happening) ....:rolleyes:

ps. getting back to steel tanks though, we ought to ensure we don't bid each other up on ebay.... pm to arrange? I'm not in a hurry, and I'm only looking for a tank to respray, so colour doesn't matter. I think I was pondering the very same S2r tank.

Dukedesmo
14-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Don't know how much help this is but I have a tank from an M900ie that I will be fitting to my M900 carby, it is a metal tank and fits fine to the frame and it has (or will have have because I've not sorted it yet) internal pump/filter etc.

However carbs won't like the pressure from an ie fuel pump so I'll be getting something with a lower pressure (unless it will work by gravity feed with split FCRs being lower down than the Mikuni carbs?) and I am informed that the electric pump, with 'teabag' filter from an SS will work and fit.

This may not be the best option for anyone else but it's what I've got and will be using.

Gordon H
14-12-2010, 09:13 AM
I'd just be happy with a tank on my 900 that kept the fuel on the inside!!

PedroII
14-12-2010, 06:27 PM
He11cat, slob and Dukedesmo thanks for the insight, looks like I'll probably stick to my own tank and have it resprayed. So utopia, don't worry about bidding wars on my part!

Another idea I've got is having the tank polished instead (think I can get away with it, as the dent is quite subtle) although wondering if its possible to respray in chrome and get rid of the dent altogether?

Saint aka ML
14-12-2010, 07:36 PM
He11cat, slob and Dukedesmo thanks for the insight, looks like I'll probably stick to my own tank and have it resprayed. So utopia, don't worry about bidding wars on my part!

Another idea I've got is having the tank polished instead (think I can get away with it, as the dent is quite subtle) although wondering if its possible to respray in chrome and get rid of the dent altogether?

Pedro I'll give you more of a pickle, idea I have for thank is to make tow round holes from the top and fit two samll round gauges in to them on each side of fuel tap.

That way my dash will only have to show speed and RPM and can be quite small. Now I know I am an idiot but in my head it looks so cool.

slob
14-12-2010, 10:34 PM
http://ukmonster.co.uk/photopost/data/554/medium/ra04.jpg

pooh
14-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Too Harley like for me surprised it ain't got tasles on the end of the bars

Ian

Saint aka ML
14-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Too Harley like for me surprised it ain't got tasles on the end of the bars

Ian

But picture above is Harley kind off thingi not Monster.

Also what I have in mind are small units like for example analog oil temp or cylinder head temp. Very small, not highlighted much.

gary tompkins
15-12-2010, 11:11 PM
But picture above is Harley kind off thingi not Monster.

and that's where you're wrong because it's actually an S4r...

.. or more accurately - what was once an S4R until it got binned at Mallory Park

http://ukmonster.co.uk/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=554

http://www.xyzmachinetools.com/images/stories/allmond/gallery-2-large.jpg

http://www.xyzmachinetools.com/index.cfm/machinetools/Stories.Allmond

utopia
16-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Thought I recognised that paint job, ...bit difficult to tell from the first pic though.
I've got a lot of time for Roger Almond's bikes, or at least the two or three that I've seen.
The techno-bob was at the nec a couple of years ago.
There are few of that kind of "custom" that I like, still fewer that pull it off using a ducati motor, but this one does, for sure.
I liked the victory engined "build off" bike that he did too.
And I think he did a mammoth creation using a rocket three engine which worked too.
But I digress, ...sorry.

Saint aka ML
16-12-2010, 04:44 AM
To Gary Tompkins - Eeeeek very much ugly in my opinion

slob
16-12-2010, 05:45 AM
...I think he did a mammoth creation using a rocket three engine which worked too...

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r46/Motorbiker_photos/NewsPics2/Triumph-rocket-Roger-Allmond.jpg

He11cat
16-12-2010, 10:19 AM
I like the rocket ...
I like the Monster chop that was made here and won Britains got biking talent 2009.. seen it up close twice now and like it .. except id not have burgandy paint as have an adversion to burgandy!

Ok spray chrome... very expensive more so then actual chrome you need to treat is as you would a paint job you see.. any imperfection shows up so you would need to fill and make good. Its good for bumpers and things that would be a pain to dip and its good as you can spray it on plastics and anything really. Its not like that fakey plastic chrome which I loathe..ie feels like plastic to the touch.

It has a primer layer the metal layer then a top coat.
Its like what they use on mirrors to make them well mirrored! :rolleyes:

I do like the polished tanks ie hand made ..one off ... nice ... hmmmmmmmm....
I would like...