PDA

View Full Version : My first electrical feature

ladybird
13-12-2010, 08:45 AM
full lock right turn = engine cuts out

It was okay yesterday on the way home, but this morning was fun filtering...if it wasn't for the fog the air would have been blue.

Being that I (in theory) have a full wiring loom spare should I just replace the section that joins the kill switch to the rest?

Capo
13-12-2010, 09:18 AM
It would appear that tension is being placed on the loom when on full lock, this could have either pulled a connector apart or broken a wire.

You should observe the loom when turning the bars.

Scotty
13-12-2010, 09:35 AM
get a multimeter and test the bit's that you think are suspect

Nickj
13-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I has the same thing, initially I thought I'd pushed my luck too far on the fuel range but after I'd refuelled it was still happening and as it was happening when the bars turned mostly hard right I rode home virtually without turning the bars so it wouldn't stop at an embarrassing moment :look:
I tracked it down to a fractured wire. The main loom is more likely to be OK as it is thick enough not to allow any stupid levels of bend or flex.
I'd look for any sections of the wiring loom THAT have sharp turns AND are physically around the headstock AND move when the bars turn.
On mine it was a small group of wires coming off the main loom, offside and below the light, the routing had put a sharp kink in it. I just flexed wires while the engine was running till the flexing stopped it then cut off the cover and fixed the broken section.

gary tompkins
13-12-2010, 11:35 AM
I suspect a snapped wire or two in the loom. The factory had a habit of fixing them way too tight near headstock and headlamp support, and constant stretching of loom eventually rips the wires apart. Similar thing happend to mine - killed the 12v feed into loom spur that fed the starter button.

Usually a fairly simple fix once you track it down using multi meter. I just cut back loom sleeve, spliced in some new wires with extra slack (soldering iron + heatshrink) and repaired/reinforced loom with insulating tape.

pooh
13-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I have had the same problem on both our Monsters, check the right hand side by the headstock and see if there is any sign of a split, both mine have been broken wires at that point.

Ian

ladybird
13-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Ok, so I had a look at lunchtime and can see that there is split yellow wire, in part of the bundle cabletied to the bottom of the heastock under the lamp.

Assuming I get home ok I will be repairing this tonight :D

It's odd as I never had this problem on the other monster.
If I can't easily repair it I'll be swapping the cabling from the other.

Nickj
13-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Snap!

Same here

utopia
14-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Yep, me too (2000 M750), though on mine it was the wire to the start button which had broken (and then only the copper core, the insulation was intact). It runs in the same small bundle though,just to the right of the steering head as described, and a relatively easy fix with a soldering iron.
Word of caution though, have no truck whatsoever with lead-free solder. Its absolute rubbish, needs to be much hotter so insulation melts/chars, and std fluxes don't seem to work. Use good old lead/tin solder and rosin flux.
And if you're like I was and haven't discovered self amalgamating tape, believe me its well worth the money and a roll lasts forever.
Finally, I found Auto Electric Supplies to be great for getting little bits and pieces mail order..short lengths of correct rating colour coded wire for example.
A solder fix has got to be way easier than a loom swop.

ladybird
14-12-2010, 11:12 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wabblymonkeysocks/5260665098/

Turned out to be a lot worse than it looked initially.
Both the blue/red cable and the brown cable were completely severed!

Soldering irons don't work so well in the cold outdoors, there was a lot of swearing too.

It doesn't look pretty, but I have fixed it.

analogue_rogue
14-12-2010, 11:40 AM
tell me you extended the wires a little to stop it happening again?

ladybird
14-12-2010, 12:21 PM
tell me you extended the wires a little to stop it happening again?

I extended one of them as I had some wire the right gauge.
The brown one is a little extended with the used of the spades.
I was sadly lacking in the right equipment for the job!

I've not cabletied back to the frame yet, just loosly to the bracket to stop it all wabbling about.

gary tompkins
14-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Try to do a proper job on it ASAP

Albie
14-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Just in case you sell it at some time. Some one would see that and walk away and its vital he bike doesn't stall in any situation. Sadly it could be a life saver or worse god forbid.:worried::worried: