PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Choice

jimz750
10-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Has anybody tried and tested the Maxxis M6029 Supermax Touring Tyres????

Good / Bad, thoughts etc........

uksurfer
10-12-2010, 02:56 PM
i am trying the rear one now, if there as good as the maxxis super sports i had in the summer, they will be fine

Nickj
10-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I had a pair on my 750IE and I liked them, At the moment I have diablo stradas only because I couldn't get a pair of maxis at the time.
Doing a comparison I'd say straight line stability was good not quite as twitchy over white lines or overbanding as the stradas feel, turn in wass nice and quick both comparable there, good grip up to the edges. Warm up time was pretty quick maybe slightly faster than the stradas, I do notice that as 1/2 mile into my work run I zig zag up a hill. By about turn 2 the maxis were letting me hold a much tighter line.
On wet roads they are pretty much the same.
Life expectancy is pretty much the same.
Overall good tyres that suit the monster pretty well.

Nickj
10-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh and Rosies brother says the sports version handled the IOM course happily on his FZR400.. that is a full race spec toy

J_Dub
11-12-2010, 01:14 PM
My lad had the M6029 on his Bros 400, he reckoned they were 'alright for the money' but now that he has changed his bike and runs Pirellis he would not use Maxxis again.
I had a pair of Maxxis super sport on my M900 and I didn't like them. I found they frequently span coming out of corners & roundabouts and I hated them in the wet. I would never buy Maxxis again, you get what you pay for.

Nickj
11-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Maxis ... Absolute bollucky cheap nasty tyres look at this poor sucker forced into using them, sliding all over the place, twitching away like good'un. I think this is **** Cassidy on an R1 on the IOM.
I'm afraid it's a video on motorcycle spews .. sorry .. news
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Tyres/2009/June/jun3009-video-maxxis-tyres-tt-lap/

gary tompkins
12-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Great video clip nick - speed through mountain section was just amazing. Makes you realise just how far standard road bikes and tyres have developed. I still remember wobbling around on my CB250 or 400 Four wearing skinny Avon Roadrunners or Dunlop TT100's

Nickj
12-12-2010, 02:06 PM
But weren't TT100's just awesome at the time, the wow factor switching to them from things like Avon skidmasters was just unreal.
He wasn't hanging around, then the IOM travelling marshalls all quick riders, I just put that up as it was done on the maxis sports on an R1. They seem to cope with the 150bhp quite well and you don't see any evidence of sliding or spin up. An M900 with 60+ brake less shouldn't have any issues.
Part of the problem with different tyres is they really need slightly different suspension set up to manage the different sidewall flex and deformity that occurs. The maxis sports have a slightly different carcas flex characteristic to the tour version so they can heat up faster and stay hotter, you do need to account for that and change the damping a little. Otherwise the tyres likely to be flexing a bit too much, add in the inherent monster twist (the chassis lost a bit of headbracing as the 888/851 frame was transferred over to take the airbox) and you've got a back end that's none too stable, more it's kinda skittering sideways as the chassis flex and suspension hops co-incide. Tractions dropped off so heavy throttle will spin the wheel.

uksurfer
12-12-2010, 02:18 PM
i guess it depends on the rider, i ride slowly so wouldn't probably notice all these problems that others have had
and there cheap and look nice (priority)
tyres are black and round IMHO

Grumpy
12-12-2010, 04:41 PM
I've been using Maxxis supermaxx sport tyres on my Griso for about 1 1/2 yrs.Overall I have found them predictable,with good feed back and reasonable mileage life. The handling in the wet is good.The warm up time is quicker than the previous tyres(Metzlers)Turn in is quicker and more controlled.
The only possible problem I have had was with the last rear tyre, which for better words 'went off'. After approx 2k the rear tyre became unprodictable in the feed back to my back side! I have change the tyre for a supermaxx touring, which has performed without an problem.
Personally, I find Maxxis to be a good value tyre,try them.

Yorkie
12-12-2010, 08:00 PM
I run Metzlers Racetec K1's but if i bought new tyres i would consider a set of the Maxxis sticky tyres.

But im tight and buy second hand!

Yorkie