PDA

View Full Version : Built in Light and indis

Albie
06-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Looking to change the rear light to a built in LED indis. Standard monster already has the LED tail/stop but would like to clean the look as due to termis being higher than stock OEM cans they can block a portion of the indicator view for a motorist.

Been on the ebay and found one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-Monster-696-1100-LED-integrated-rear-tail-light-/390153167431?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5ad6f0e247

but not sure if its what Im looking for exactly. Seems ok but I would presume you still need resistors. Would prefer them to be a built in unit.

Before Mr Capo and Buzzbomb show their faces I did look on the vizitech site but nothing doing so I will try to scour the wwwon the hunt for resonably priced units.

The other option is to remove the standard board and adapt with some orange LEDS but TBH I haven't got the skill in micro electronics. If anyone would like to try for me then would be happy to be a guinea pig.

buzzbomb
06-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Andy I spoke to Bernard of Vizi-tech a couple of months ago and although he has made a batch for the new monster which sold out, at the moment he says its the price of the components thats stopping further production for the time being but theres always hope!!
His lights are the "DOG's".:thumbsup:

dam
07-12-2010, 05:28 AM
Sorry, but that looks like a mock Tudor pub window.

Stafford
07-12-2010, 07:10 AM
What a shocking piece of tat, nice joke Albs.

hammy
07-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Don't buy that, it's awful... in my opinion (but each to their own). Don't know how well you can see mine on my avatar, but it's all built in, no need for extra resistors & even has a built in white numberplate light. I got it off ebay 2 or 3 years ago & think the place was called 'White Lights'. I still have the box it came in if you want me to have a look this evening? Think was 50-60 quid but looks the mutts nuts!

hammy
07-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Tell you what, never uploaded a pic...

da daaaaaa!

Albie
07-12-2010, 05:25 PM

What a shocking piece of tat, nice joke Albs.

I have to agree.Not my cup of tea really. Thats why I was asking. I want something a bit nicer. Im in no rush but I do have some rizoma LEDs but was thinking of doing away with them completely.

Stafford
07-12-2010, 07:08 PM
IMHO some of the dual use indicator and tail light units are in fact a little bit dangerous. I've seen some that when braking the indicator is lost against the brake light which is not really a good thing. I wonder if these come with the appropriate E mark of whatever the specification should be. Saying that some of these new fangled car indicator/brake lights are not a lot better.
I followed a guy on a Triumph the other day with the Rizoma bar end forward and rear facing indicators and they worked really well even though he had no rear mounted indicators.

Albie
07-12-2010, 07:21 PM
IMHO some of the dual use indicator and tail light units are in fact a little bit dangerous. I've seen some that when braking the indicator is lost against the brake light which is not really a good thing. I wonder if these come with the appropriate E mark of whatever the specification should be. Saying that some of these new fangled car indicator/brake lights are not a lot better.
I followed a guy on a Triumph the other day with the Rizoma bar end forward and rear facing indicators and they worked really well even though he had no rear mounted indicators.

You do have a point. I guess what Im trying to do is make my bike more naked like it should. That ebay unit is actually sitting at the wrong angle so you cant see end on. The demo indi unit is not the new shape either. I do want a specific indicators on rather than blending. I also dont want small micros but bright leds.
Our MiTo has something like you say Staff. Great bright ring of LEDs surrounding the orange bulbed indicator. I have followed it home and is ok but when braking it does get overpowered to a degree. Best ones are the Passat with the indicator rig around the Tail.
Looks cool though imho.
The search goes on slowly

uksurfer
07-12-2010, 07:23 PM
swap bikes if you really want a indi-rear light unit? :thumbsup:

Darkness
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM

With unhalfbricking!

:chuckle::chuckle:

Nickj
07-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Maybe a redesign of the light layout would help.
Rather than having all of the LED sections jumbled into the one area I was thinking divide the area of the light across by 1/4's, the two outer 1/4's are reserved solely for the indicator LEDs, the centre half running, brake light and a few down pointing white LEDs for the plate illumination. A small divider rising from the circuit board, maybe reflective on the outer surface would help keep the indicator sections from being too overwhelmed by the brake light section.
It would just need about £10 of components and an etched PCB.
Should be do-able.

Nickj
07-12-2010, 09:07 PM
How stable do we want this to be or really how much voltage change is there in the supply?
LEDs output is quite voltage sensitive so the resistor approach which is cheap isn't necessarily best, a few voltage regulators for each block of LEDS might be a good idea if there's more than say 4 volts overall.
Anyways something like 4 blocks of 12 LED per light area ought to do the job plus a small block of 4 or so for the plate lighting.
Seal it all up in epoxy and it should be good for a soaking.
If I can muster the energy I'll see if I can design a pcb for this

Dookbob
13-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Some of these integral rear and indicator lights look nice , but are just not on. With poor light on say a dull day, an idicator has to be a definite left or right warning, at 30 yards or so, these things could be either. " yes m`lord, I saw his indicator, but I couldn,t tell which way it was indicating".

Jan (Belgium)
14-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Hello Albie,

Installed a clear led with smoked background on mine,
It doesn't have the indicators build in, but gives you an idea what it looks like installed.

spm23
15-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Albie

You could ask the guys at Motodynamics if they intend bringing out a unit for the new monster. Their design is pretty cool, the sequential indicator and flashing brake make a nice touch

http://www.motodynamic.com/product_info.php?cPath=17_18&products_id=199

Nickj
15-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Liking that effect, time to dig out some IC spec sheets. Still not actually that expensive to start with.

hammy
16-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Nice find SPM23, I'm liking that! Think I'll be getting myself one of those for my latest baby for Xmas. All standard since buying her last month but this will be on her Christmas list :D