PDA

View Full Version : Insanity..

boris
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Left home at 04.40 this morning for the 28mile crawl to work. Inside the car -8c, outside -11c. After worming my way through some iffy country roads got to the main road which in AA terms was "Passable with care." A few miles later spotting a single red light ahead of me i thought just another cyclops. Wrong. As i got closer and carefully drove past, it was a guy on a Yamaha Dragstar!!! Mind you, I suppose at that point the temperature was up to -5c... :hail:

giler
03-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Left home at 04.40 this morning for the 28mile crawl to work. Inside the car -8c, outside -11c. After worming my way through some iffy country roads got to the main road which in AA terms was "Passable with care." A few miles later spotting a single red light ahead of me i thought just another cyclops. Wrong. As i got closer and carefully drove past, it was a guy on a Yamaha Dragstar!!! Mind you, I suppose at that point the temperature was up to -5c... :hail:

Yamaha Dragstar - probably flat out!

gary tompkins
03-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't even want to be out on 3 wheels in these conditions

snakey
03-12-2010, 06:53 PM
on the monny this morning at around 7am it was -4 and winter idle boost worked well but after a couple of miles i could not open the throttle more than 1/4 turn and had to limp in to work at 3000 revs. then again people have been calling me mad for years. back in the 80's i used to ride in all weathers, even getting my old bonny across Plymouth when all the roads were covered in snow.

Pete

Gordon H
03-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Boris - I was in Forres yesterday........ anyone out on a bike in those conditions - pure mental!!!!

LVC
03-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Snow...Bike > garage....Quad = Fun fun fun

Nuff said ;)

craigie
04-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Walking home last night and heard a bit of racket coming down the road, turned round and it was a tank. No military markings, had a number plate and and indicators. Oh, and a big **** off cannon. Geezer driving it was not military and was not hanging about, seemed quite nippy really. That's the way to travel in winter.

boris
04-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Gordon H - Nice to see a fellow member confirming what it's like up here. This morning I had an earlier start, left home at 0315. I've got 225/45's fitted to my car and they felt as much use as bicycle tyres! Got there and back safely though, TFFT. You need to see the roads up here in kinder times - bliss...

Nickj
05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
on the monny this morning at around 7am it was -4 and winter idle boost worked well but after a couple of miles i could not open the throttle more than 1/4 turn and had to limp in to work at 3000 revs.
I just switch to shell advanced in the winter, seems to work fine. It was -5 the other morning and the motor was quite happy, damn site happier than I was ;)
The air was pretty dry but the same fuel worked all through last winter too without any additives like fst and it was damper so would have been more likely to ice up..

snakey
05-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I just switch to shell advanced in the winter, seems to work fine. It was -5 the other morning and the motor was quite happy, damn site happier than I was ;)
The air was pretty dry but the same fuel worked all through last winter too without any additives like fst and it was damper so would have been more likely to ice up..

I would prefer to use shell but down here in the a**e end of nowhere there are no shell stations to be found!when i was in Bristol i used Shell advance but still used the additive, it just stopped the faltering at junctions and lights. I think the reason the throttles stuck was that some water must have got down the cables and frozen, I'm not sure if the cables have a silicon lining or not but if they do it is not advisable to oil them.