PDA

View Full Version : possible ticket!!

big pete
02-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Was in a quque of cars passing a school 20mph limit at the time and was getting dragged along nicely at 28-30 mph when I noticed a lone policeman with a hand held gun, dont know if it was radar or laser. He had it pointed across the road at all of us, did he need to stop us and do everyone , is he singling out individuals , can he do it to a quque across a road and send out NIP;s.
BTW i know I shouldnt have done it but I was convinced at the time i approached the limit would have reverted to 30 and at the time was getting sucked along by the cars infront.

JerryT
02-12-2010, 03:12 PM
no such thing as getting sucked along IMHO... You control your speed yourself.

rendo
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
You sometimes find if there has been complaints of speeding the police will carry out checks. not always to stop and fine people, but it gives them a good idea that maybe further measures are required. maybe speed bumps or a camera.

so, yuo maybe lucky this time

uksurfer
02-12-2010, 03:51 PM
going past a school......... :thumbsdown:

Scotty
02-12-2010, 03:54 PM
going past a school......... :thumbsdown:

yes down with 20mph limits

uksurfer
02-12-2010, 04:01 PM
i'm not sure if they would make them any lower than 20?

Snips
02-12-2010, 04:39 PM
In my experience traffic issues are quite common around schools (usually parking) and police need to turn up once in a while to keep everything in check.

I think that in the interests of community relations, they prefer to show up and act as a deterrent before issuing tickets.

You might be lucky, but really, speeding near schools is a no no. I often drop my daughter off at the local comprehensive, and the number of idiot teenagers that just walk out into the path of my car either oblivious to the world, or trying to prove something is shocking.

Hope you get away with it, and hopefully lesson learned.

utopia
02-12-2010, 05:11 PM
... You control your speed yourself.

True......but I do think there is a real (and perhaps justified) tendency to be sucked along by the general speed of the traffic around you. And if you don't keep up, you do invite angry overtakes from frustrated drivers behind, which could be more dangerous.
Past a school is obviously somewhere to keep your speed down though, not least because of the kamikaze parking antics.
I reckon you stand a good chance of getting away with it though.
They'll install speed humps in the summer and by next winter it'll be a mess of potholes where the new stuff joins the old.
Instead of selling off school sports grounds for development, some thought could be given to creating off-road drop off zones instead, to reduce the conjestion and confusion around school entrances maybe....?

Capo
02-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Instead of selling off school sports grounds for development, some thought could be given to creating off-road drop off zones instead, to reduce the conjestion and confusion around school entrances maybe....?

I remember at my sisters school each parent was issued with a large card containing the pupils name, there was a sweeping drive to the building, where the pupils arranged in an orderly fashion waited. As the cars approched, the card was held up and the name on the card was read out and the concerned pupil came foward. All pupils were picked up by car. It worked and that was 50 years ago

slipperyweeguy
02-12-2010, 06:38 PM
There are protocols for the use of all Home Office approved equipment such as radar guns. Radar guns do not identify the vehicle or driver, and do not work across the road ie. you have to be heading approximately towards the gun for a certain time to get a reading. They do work over a much greater distance than you might think, and you can get a stable speed reading on a car before it is close enough to say for sure what make/model it is. Often, by the time you see the yellow jacket you are done.
From your description Rendo's comments seem about right. A visible warning / frightener works wonders, so perhaps tomorrow you'll be sucked slowly.