PDA

View Full Version : Ducati Monster sumberged with water

nakisaero
02-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi Guys,

Please read this very carefully and if you can help me I would appreciate this big time.

My Ducati Monster 620 submerged with water.
I replaced the ECU. The ECU was linked with the ignition switch and the speedometer.
My mechanic went through and checked the following and everything seems to be in order:

Clutch switch

Starter switch

Kickstand switch

All the fuses

All the relays

All the wire connections were removed and cleaned with special solvent

All the switches on the handlebar were cleaned with solvent also and checked in order to eliminate any shorts in the circuits.

The fuel pump system was removed from the tank and operated outside of it just to make sure that it works and it does work fine.

We supplied direct current to the starter through the starter relay and that is operational as well.

The only thing that was not replaced but also had an operational check was the TPS (Throttle Position Switch) That is working fine also.

When we insert the key in the ignition a blinking light comes on three times and then there is a pause for a few seconds and then it comes on again and stays on.

Following the manual for reentering the key code with the red key inserted the bike still won't start.

After having done all these and followed your directions on the replacement of the ECU, it seems that everything works on the bike but the key is not recognized and the bike won't start.

We don't know what to do to else.
DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT THIS PROBLEM.

I would appreciate your help.

Best regards
Nakis

Char
02-12-2010, 07:46 AM
I have no idea but would like to know how it got submerged :scratch:

David Matthews
02-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Hi, and welcome.

A little while ago there was a thread explaining how someone had modified the electics to bypass the red key and immobiliser, can't remember who it was.

Post 12 of this thread may help

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=39018

Pomp1
02-12-2010, 09:50 AM
I think that when you disconnect the ECU you need to do the red key malarky

gary tompkins
02-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I have no idea but would like to know how it got submerged :scratch:

Ditto :D

Capo
02-12-2010, 03:44 PM
It appears that the imobilser is the culprit.
Was the ECU new?

Dookbob
02-12-2010, 07:31 PM
If you follow the workshop manual instructions on emergency starting using the RED key and code card number this will pin it down to the immobiliser, ie, if it starts on the red key using the code, but wont start normally, then its the immobilliser that is caput. Fix for this situation is a new set of clocks at £400 or so, or a different ECU that bypasses the immobilliser permanently. Not sure who the supplier of the different ECU is , but one of the lads on here will know.

Saint aka ML
02-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Not programed Termi ECU should work if it is immobiliser.

Good test is what was mentioned with red key and code.

There are also places that can reset certain ducati stock ecu to factory default aka pre programming.

pooh
02-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Keep trying the red key sequance it took me about 80 times over a week to get it to accept the code apparently it either works first time or can take forever. I spoke to the local Ducati dealers and they had had a 999 in that took them three weeks to program, everybody who walked past it tried it until it eventaully worked. Sounds like this is the problem.

Pooh

dunlop0_1
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
If you fitted an ECU from another bike (used) it won't work and never will unless you have the key and clocks to match.
You need to get a virgin ECU (i have one on my 620SS) which providing you never go near it with the red key works on any bike.

I think Avanti race parts can reset an ECU to default settings, ie virgin again.

nakisaero
03-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Hey Guys,

Thank you all for your help. I finally got my bike after 1 year and 5 days.
Another similar bike came to the mechanic and he was swapping parts, so he found out that there was a minor problem at the switch. He opened the switch and inside at the bottom of it there was very little limestone. This limestone was slightly affecting the Amber to a point that there was not enough power going to the pump.
The bike is working properly now.

Once again I would like to thank you all for taking the time and replying to my post. Let's connect on facebook guys http://www.facebook.com/nakis.theocharides

Drive safe
Best regards from Cyprus
Nakis