PDA

View Full Version : S4 dies this morning

littlejimmy12
29-11-2010, 03:38 PM
With the cold snap I've not been riding it for more than 30 mins maybe one a week, little trips to the shops etc.

Jumped on it this am to go to work, it turned over fairly strongly but then started to die until there wasn't enough juice to turn over.

Is this normal? only in the past few weeks with colder weather and less use has she been playing up. Its not really on that I can't leave her out in the cold and do the odd short journey like this without risking a flat !!!!!

I know the s4 has some starting issues that I have read in previos posts but is this normal?

I am sticking it on trickle from now on, but is there anything I should be checking that could be the source of my problem. And is there anything I can do to eliminate it - better battery for example?

Capo
29-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Ducati specs the output of the alternator at 14.5V @ 3000 RPM. When the load is in excess of the alternator output, the battery is discharging to maintain the load

Extensive city use where engine speeds are lower than 3K, will cause the battery to discharge, in such cases the battery should be charged overnight to ensure adequate power availability

littlejimmy12
29-11-2010, 04:05 PM
I'll dust off the trickle tongiht then!

Gamsa
29-11-2010, 05:23 PM
If the battery has been run down that low, it may have died in the process. They don't like being totally discharged. I'd check the battery terminal voltage with a multimeter as a function of engine revs to see if your alternator is working.

Gordon H
29-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Had a hell of a job getting the 900 started yesterday but fired up after 4 or 5 tries with clutch pulled in.... Taken the battery out after a run and brought it indoors for some tlc.....

chris yeatman
29-11-2010, 06:33 PM
A ducati needs a good charged battery, more so the injected monnies, has to power up fuel pump and turn the engine over fast enough to fire up.
the cold weather always hits the batterys hard. keeping them on a optimate over the winter does help.
this does remind me to order a battery for mine, as mine played up an couple of times before i put the bike away for the winter.

Stafford
29-11-2010, 09:23 PM
I'd recommend an upgrade in size to the main battery leads as well. Just changed mine on the ST4S and she turns over noticeably better.

mintyhit
30-11-2010, 09:25 AM
I'd recommend an upgrade in size to the main battery leads as well. Just changed mine on the ST4S and she turns over noticeably better.

Definitely this!

I’ve been having no end of problems with the starting of my S4. I’ve actually taken to carrying a ft of thick gauge wire around as part of my “keys” to short the solenoid straight to the starter.

I also fitted a secondary earth to the engine block and it has improved starting 10fold.

I intend on replacing the entire starting circuit with thick quality wire soon. I just wish there was a way to service the starter motor bushes without all the hassle removing engine casings.

analogue_rogue
30-11-2010, 11:40 AM
If the battery has been run down that low, it may have died in the process. They don't like being totally discharged. I'd check the battery terminal voltage with a multimeter as a function of engine revs to see if your alternator is working.

ensure you have charged the battery fully first as a flat battery (assuming you got it started) can give a false alternator reading as it zaps the power from the alternator whilst it tries to charge itself back up.