PDA

View Full Version : engine noise

slipper40
25-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Purchased this 600 monster about a month ago, very cheap with a few jobs needed i have done all but was wondering if this noise was a ducati thing! :biggrin: or what having only ever owned jap fours and single's .. To me it sounds very valvey and to be honest i haven't checked em yet , i have checked belts and woodruff key;s these all seem to be in order any idea's thanks in advance slipper 40 ...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inm5cVvAkO4

utopia
25-11-2010, 05:21 PM
If you're new to air cooled engines (?), that may have something to do with it.
My 750 doesn't seem particularly noisy, but then I've never owned a water-cooled bike so I expect a bit more noise anyway.
Hard to tell from the sound quality of a video, but it does perhaps sound a little "clanky", but maybe the engine was cold.....?
There's a good video out there showing valve clearance adjustment procedure. Can't remember the link, but you'll find it easily enough....the guy from california.

slipper40
25-11-2010, 05:31 PM
If you're new to air cooled engines (?), that may have something to do with it.
My 750 doesn't seem particularly noisy, but then I've never owned a water-cooled bike so I expect a bit more noise anyway.
Hard to tell from the sound quality of a video, but it does perhaps sound a little "clanky", but maybe the engine was cold.....?
There's a good video out there showing valve clearance adjustment procedure. Can't remember the link, but you'll find it easily enough....the guy from california.

thanks utopia yeah it was cold.....

dunlop0_1
25-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Always worth checking the valve clearances, but it sounds pretty normal to me just like Louise's 600.

slipper40
25-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Always worth checking the valve clearances, but it sounds pretty normal to me just like Louise's 600.

Thanks Bud it go's pretty well so to hear it sounds like another m600 is a bonus , i guess after riding my blade she's gonna sound slightly mechanical :)

pegboy
25-11-2010, 07:48 PM
The sound quality is not great but they are common for having front piston slap, mine has been like that for two years, covering around 8000 miles with two track days, still going strong, adds character.

slipper40
25-11-2010, 08:01 PM
The sound quality is not great but they are common for having front piston slap, mine has been like that for two years, covering around 8000 miles with two track days, still going strong, adds character.
thanks yeah could well be piston slap give me something to do at a later date:eyepopping:

animaluk
26-11-2010, 02:17 PM

They all do that ;)

He11cat
26-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Slightly mechanical I like that! I like mine to have a bit of a lower idle as he sounds more mechanical is a good word for it!

You boy above fuzzy face .. more fuzz on the chin is needed that's better then your angry armish man avitar

dunlop0_1
26-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks Bud it go's pretty well so to hear it sounds like another m600 is a bonus , i guess after riding my blade she's gonna sound slightly mechanical :)

No worries.
You will find even after checking/adjusting the valves ( the goal posts are quite wide for these settings) it will still be the same. It's the actual mechanical noise of the Desmodronic valve system that added to the piston slap creates that unique Ducati sound.

Pedro
26-11-2010, 08:51 PM
600 motors are a little prone to piston slap

slipper40
27-11-2010, 05:19 PM
thanks everyone i can proudly ride my ducati , down the road sounding like a bag of spanners :) in the knowledge it's normal for a duke! ........:biggrin:

Dougalthedog
30-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Sounds exactly like mine - I've previously had jap 4 cylinder bikes and everytime i start the Ducati I still have a brief what the **** is that noise !!

Nickj
30-11-2010, 11:05 PM
LOL They always sound like something is either about to fall off or is hanging on by a fingernail and flapping wildly around. Well except for those water cooled they just hiss and bubble ;)
After a while you ride a normal bike and worry because it's so quiet !!!

slipper40
30-11-2010, 11:09 PM
must admit the gearbox is well smooth compaired to my blade, (straight cut in the blade):D

Loosehead
11-06-2011, 06:27 PM
apparently the sound is like a skeleton ****ing in a dustbin!! when I sold my 600 for an S4 my S4 was noisy as due to the open dry clutch!!

Darkness
11-06-2011, 06:48 PM
thanks everyone i can proudly ride my ducati , down the road sounding like a bag of spanners :) in the knowledge it's normal for a duke! ........:biggrin:

If you want the full toolbox effect you do need a dry clutch too!

:spin::spin:

He11cat
12-06-2011, 01:55 AM
I love that rattle it's music to my ears!!
Except I have a quiet wet clutch hmmph!