PDA

View Full Version : Too cold to ride?

JerryT
24-11-2010, 05:50 PM
As the temp. keeps dropping and the forecasters are predicting snow in various parts, I'm starting to wonder at what point it might be too cold/too dangerous to ride...

What do you guys think?

BluprintZ
24-11-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm starting to wonder at what point it might be too cold/too dangerous to ride...

For me, about a month ago.

G ; )

Char
24-11-2010, 06:11 PM
saw a bike accident this morning on way to work on the ice :( -

He11cat
24-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Il go though winter on my rat bike now.
Il take the monster out if it's nice.
I just am not happy sitting in the car in traffic.
I get very touchy if I'm off 2 wheels for a few days.
If there's snow on the road then I wouldn't risk the monster.
I have the luxury of a choice between bikes.
Having said that drum brakes and skinny tyres on the work hack make for crappy winter riding but I'm happy if I can jump on the 125 .. I secretly enjoy riding the gutless wonder!
Town riding us ok .. But I'm more wary out in the country.
Blu I can't blame you . Riding as I do in towns is a different kettle of fish to winter riding in Wales . Again you ride to conditions or if you have an ounce of sence unlike me you don't!
I respect that.

Alain
24-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Here, it is very cold. The temperature drop from day to day.
I also want to ask you to find and information about tourism trophy 2011.
Thank you
Alain

JaKS
24-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Been to work today on my GSX1400!

Scotty
24-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't ride in snow not on the tarmac biased tyres (I'm sure an MX on snow could be 'fun' )

errm it's only 'too cold' if the temperature is effecting your use of the controls like pulling clutch / break levers

BluprintZ
24-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I learned the hard way last Feburary Mel, after i dropped the bike on salt`n grit, that i would rather use the car in crappy weather and save the bike for decent days.
I don't get any pleasure riding in the wet and cold anymore, unless i really have to...which i don't.
Wev'e already got plenty of snow on the mountains here.

G ; )

Gordon H
24-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Just spotted the gritters out for the first time round here - that's the signal to stow the bike for a spell of tinkering / fettling........

Paintwork is in good nick and want to keep it that way.........

Albie
24-11-2010, 07:41 PM
As Gordon said. When the gritters out the bike stays in. Im fortunate not to need the bike for commute and just pleasure. The pleasure stops when it gets coated with sh1te on a regular basis.

To all those who have to , I salute you :biggrin:

bigredduke
24-11-2010, 07:46 PM
As the temp. keeps dropping and the forecasters are predicting snow in various parts, I'm starting to wonder at what point it might be too cold/too dangerous to ride...

What do you guys think?

Anything below 15 deg C and the bikes stay in the garage in my opinion. But then I'm only a pretend biker.

buzzbomb
24-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Sorry to rub it in guys but Oh the joys of retirement...:biggrin:

Gordon H
24-11-2010, 08:07 PM
As Gordon said. When the gritters out the bike stays in. Im fortunate not to need the bike for commute and just pleasure. The pleasure stops when it gets coated with sh1te on a regular basis.

To all those who have to , I salute you :biggrin:

The other aspect is that one slip, even relatively minor, could do enough damage to write off a bike - especially an older one like my 900.

You guys who do soldier on through the winter - respect!!

PETE.AKO
24-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi all well i have always ridden through the winter But i don't have to use the bike for work just pleasure.So if i plan to go out with friends as long as its ice and snow free i will turn up,the runs are normally shorter in the winter.
We can have some nice sunny runs in winter and it stops you having withdrawal symptoms as we all do if we don't ride for a time,we just have to go out and be more careful as the tyres don't warm up plus all the debris thats on the roads so i/we cant play as much as we would like! but its a ride? and on return drowned the bike in WD40 to stop the salt! attacking.
ps... as my bike is carb plenty of profst to stop the dam thing from icing up

Blufoot
24-11-2010, 08:30 PM
It's never too cold to ride

Nickj
24-11-2010, 09:53 PM
When the back end just won't find any traction then it's time to start walking.

Usually a good guide is that I can get to the road just outside my house, if I can't then sod it I'll stay home. Then try explaining to my boss that given over a 1000 ft higher means that it might be snowy dusting picturesque in Cheltenham but the forest is like the back end of the Brecons, and no I can't get a bus as the roads are officially closed and in any case I can't get anything with wheels onto the road!

But it does depend ... I've ridden in below -10c temps before, that was just dry and piggin cold. It was impressive to see the ice on the tidal edges of Langstone harbour.
I also rode an enduro the same weekend, same place as the natterjack. The sand was frozen and hard as concrete, the local weather station recorded -16 the night before.

But trailing through Germany at the same with snow banks taller than me on the bike trekking off to the elephant, not such fun.

For playing in snow on dirtbikes soft ground MX tyres are OK, sand paddles would be better.

gary tompkins
24-11-2010, 11:11 PM
For me, about a month ago.

G ; )

Same here George

I did a few hundred miles to Wiltshire and back in early october, and not bothered using the trike since. It's either been to crap (wet) or cold, but I'll keep it taxed just in case we get a few nice, salt free days over winter

utopia
25-11-2010, 02:33 AM
I went to court on mine yesterday........:rolleyes:

Like Pete, I have no problem with daytime rides on bright winter days, but I try to stay out of the towns as much as possible, where there's less crap and diesel lying around. I quite enjoy having to watch for the damp, leafy spots or late-lingering frost in sheltered bits, but diesel spooks the **** out of me these days in winter.
I don't commute much at all on the monster in the winter because I have a Dominator which makes much more sense and keeps the salt off the Ducati. But mostly I use the car.
A small bike makes sense cos they're slower and have less inertia/momentum, and its not so far to fall....:) When my TL was on the road it was the perfect winter tool. Small, light, torquey but soft, minimal, rot resistant, I could go on and on. A small, old school, 4-stroke single trials iron is a thing every biker ought to buy and keep forever. We used to play off road (Gartree Rd, Mand :) ) at the weekend, in and out of the brook by the ford, frosty or snowy days were often best. Its a lesson in machine control and a confidence booster par ex. Would've dropped a Z1B at the corner of our road one frosty monday morning for certain, but was so familiar with the slide that I just kinda "ar5ed" it back in line. On the TL I'd have actually enjoyed that though, and even if I'd dropped it, it wouldn't probably have mattered much. They make a joyful summer commute too. Open face helmet and sunglasses. Engine warms quick. Saves starting the big bike up just to nip out quick somewhere, so less wear on that too. My two mates went to the TT from Leicester on a couple of TLs once. Honestly, they're a thing of joy, and great to teach your kids to ride on too.
I don't like to leave any bike unused for too long, and in particular I don't like leaving the monster with its cambelts static for long, and if I start it up at all, I like to get it fully warmed and exercised, so I try to get out on it at least monthly.
And I fit handguards for the winter (though not yet this year). ...There's nowt better for keeping warm than not getting so cold in the first place ;) And I hate thick gloves....probably why my fingertips chill so easily these days.
A few years ago in Leicester it snowed a few inches in the afternoon, then drizzled feebly for a bit...just enough to help the snow slush up a bit, then froze fast just before the evening rush. It was 2 or 3 inch deep solid ruts, capped in black ice, everywhere. It took people on average two hours per mile to get home at least. On the Dommie, I played "try to get home without riding feet down anywhere. Made it too, in about 25 mins tops. Cried as the feeling came back to my fingers when I got back though. On the TL with two pairs of thermal wooly gloves inside belstaff overmitts, I'd have gone back out to play...:chuckle:

JerryT
25-11-2010, 01:00 PM
What bothers me about really cold/snowy conditions is (a) thought of dropping the Monster despite due care on my part and (b) getting hit by some other ar5e who has been 'caught out' by the weather conditions...

Paivi
25-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Perhaps I should stay out of this conversation... :biggrin:

desmo
25-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Anything under +6 degrees is too cold for me.
The gritters are out now, so I reckon that's my riding finished until the Spring.
I only ride for fun & riding in this weather is definately not fun.

utopia
25-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Also, on the subject of carb icing.....my M750 is a 2000 model and is fitted with the electric carb heaters rather than the more common (?) oil fed system. I can't say that I do enough cold riding to have tested them exhaustively, but in the 4yrs I've had the bike I've never noticed a problem with carb icing, and I don't use fuel additives. Has anyone else had experience of the electric heaters....?
And.....I've just bought a set of EDZ merino wool undercrackers. I'll post on their effectiveness when I've had chance to test them. They seem to have a very good reputation.

Pomp1
25-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Between feeling cold and queueing in traffic I know which one I'd rather go for..

mintyhit
25-11-2010, 03:00 PM
For the first time since I started riding I’ve decided to put my bike away in the underground car park at work for a bit.

The cold doesn't really bother me too much but when you have just spend 2k doing up your bike the prospect at watching the salt and crap ruin all your handwork is most disheartening.

utopia
25-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Judging from your pic, you don't feel the cold too much anyway......:chuckle:

benson
25-11-2010, 04:06 PM
I tend to ride all winter as long as there's no ice.... I love the bikes, don't have a car and if I'm cold then I usually try to plan a few stops en route for tea and cake :biggrin: but the thought of the ice brings out the few brain cells I have dedicated to self an bike preservation.

Saying that, today it was -4 C and although bloomin cold the roads were dry and the sun was out and it was truly beautiful. I am now defrosting on a fan heater!!!

Dookbob
25-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Also, on the subject of carb icing.....my M750 is a 2000 model and is fitted with the electric carb heaters rather than the more common (?) oil fed system. I can't say that I do enough cold riding to have tested them exhaustively, but in the 4yrs I've had the bike I've never noticed a problem with carb icing, and I don't use fuel additives. Has anyone else had experience of the electric heaters....?
And.....I've just bought a set of EDZ merino wool undercrackers. I'll post on their effectiveness when I've had chance to test them. They seem to have a very good reputation.

I have found the same on two 600 monsters, one year 2000 the other 2001, the electric carb heaters seem to do the trick without resorting to fuel addatives. There has got to be a point where they might freeze though, dependant on the severity of the weather. I live in the Trent valley, I have a feeling we get away with a lot in this area.

He11cat
25-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Top day today :)
Rode home in a heavy snow shower after playing on a water bed , vibrating seats, Saturday night fever jump on the floor and the lights change and a chair that hangs from the ceiling and tickling sticks.
:) :)

JerryT
25-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Top day today :)
Rode home in a heavy snow shower after playing on a water bed , vibrating seats, Saturday night fever jump on the floor and the lights change and a chair that hangs from the ceiling and tickling sticks.
:) :)

I'm not sure if I should ask what you were doing with all that stuff He11cat? :eyepopping:

Not exactly a speckled hen but certainly sounds different!! :biggrin:

He11cat
26-11-2010, 09:28 AM
All in a days work!!! :)

I have normal thermals I wear .. stripey ones !
I have thought about merino wool ones as well if anyone had test driven a pair of these under garments please do share!!..
I am having a glove crisis... my winter ones are not cutting it .. even with heated grips.
Two of my bikes do not have heated grips!!! eeeek I am getting very cold hands going to work.
Can't run heated gloves either on the commuter the battery is the size of a peapod and my generator needs replacing :( but with work I can't even get to a garage!!!!
My winter gear needs an overhaul as I plan to go through it on two wheels!

Diego
26-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Still rocking London on my Dark M900. Winter or not. Still beats the hell out of public transport.

Absolutely fine today under the sun. Albeit my commute might change when the snowflakes hit the capital...

Came accross an orange monnie on Bishopsgate! Good on ya sir!

Scott1
26-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Still rocking London on my Dark M900. Winter or not. Still beats the hell out of public transport.

Absolutely fine today under the sun. Albeit my commute might change when the snowflakes hit the capital...

Came accross an orange monnie on Bishopsgate! Good on ya sir!

Same as Diego, I'll be out on mine until the snow comes or the ice gets my carbs....that sounds a bit dodgy!

I saw either an S2R or S4R going down Shooters Hill Rd this morning so good on you too sir.

boris
26-11-2010, 01:07 PM
As much as I've tried to put it off, Ive removed the tax disc this morning in order to claim a bit back. I should add that I had to dig my way to the garage through the snow to do it. Now I just have to sweep a few inches of the car and crawl the 28 miles to work. I don't finish untill 1.30am tomorrow so it should be a fun drive home? Back in time for breakfast maybe?

Diego
26-11-2010, 03:18 PM
****HIJACK ALERT*** Disregard if you feel it's OTT ;-)

Same as Diego, I'll be out on mine until the snow comes or the ice gets my carbs....that sounds a bit dodgy!

Nice 1 Scott. You still reside in Lewisham? I'm in Dulwich now!

Scott1
26-11-2010, 03:27 PM
****HIJACK ALERT*** Disregard if you feel it's OTT ;-)

Nice 1 Scott. You still reside in Lewisham? I'm in Dulwich now!

I've moved up the road to Shooters Hill but often in Dulwich, look forward to seeing you about mate.

JerryT
26-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Had today off work so did 90 miles round Hampshire today RoSPA training. Lymington, Brockenhurst, Cadnam, Totton, Southampton, Winchester, Stockbridge, past the Hilltop Diner to Salisbury and back to Ower, Cadnam, Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst, Lymington. Not too cold to ride, Sun shining low and bright, roads mainly dry, but definitely gritted as you could see lines of white salt crystals in the centre of the carriageway. Had to get rid of the (dry) salt off the bike (shudder) afterwards. A good day to be out, but oh boy my bloody fingers and thumbs really froze... must pull my finger out and get heated gloves sorted. No excuses now...

He11cat
26-11-2010, 04:04 PM
What's peeing me off is so many of the petrol stations have these poxy hand car washes at them now . Water everywhere and other crap.
Lethal when it's cold.
If I want to be RObin Cousins il find some spandex flares and go to STreatham ice rink!
Not at my local petrol garage ta very much :(

the_adam
26-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I noticed my chain had picked up a bit of rust when i got to work yesterday...had the brilliant idea of cleaning it up that evening. One bucket of water to wash off chain cleaner = back tyre nicely coated with ice this morning :dunce:

Don't think you can get spandex flares to fit a monster...

He11cat
27-11-2010, 12:34 AM
A nice spandex tank cover with frilly bits!! ??? Im sure I could muster up something!!.. :)

I got petrol earlier came out and there was a layer of frost on my seat!! ..
Its very cold here tonight and a tad icy... no snow mind.

2 degrees on a bike in draggin jeans .. pity the fool ... who was me :)
I need to steal someones knitted pants in this weather !

PETE.AKO
27-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Hi all my 2000 m750 has got electric carb heaters am told they are from jap Suzuki thingy! i have checked them out to see if they were working! i still have to use profst ? they are working! But there not much help? But i suppose it could be my fault as the bike has Remus cans dyno jet kit fitted the air box cut K&N filter? so the bike is taking deep intakes of cold air all the time.
I also find taping up the oil cooler helps to keep the motor warm and using 5stare petrol all helps??after all that i still love the dam thing???

DaffyDuc
27-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Hah, My IAM instructor bailed out first, was meant to be out tomorrow morning. But I confess it was only because I'd been away and hadn't contacted him to tell him my backbone is the same colour as the bike. He gave me homework to do instead.
I couldn't get the car up the (steep) hill out of the village today so the bike was never going anywhere. And why does everyone empty the few grit bins we have onto their driveways????? Do they get to the road and go 'oh!'. Perhaps they spend the day going backwards and forwards because they can!!

cairojay
27-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Right...My pearl of wisdom on this one....

If you're a rider who puts the bike away because the conditions are becoming too dangerous then I would say thats not an excuse and you need more experience or training because regardless of gritters or snow, if the road is wet not icy then there is no excuse for falling off/dropping it. Sounds totally ridiculous to me. Fair weather riders beware...you have to be capable of riding in all conditions in case you get caught in a shower etc. I spoke to a bloke a while ago who had a spill because he got caught in the rain and over cooked it in a corner because the road was wet. If someone wants to pack their bike away because they don't want to ride in the cold, fair enough but if its because you people think its too dangerous then sort yourselves out as your a danger to others. If you ride a bike you need to understand everything about it and the conditions that you ride in. Don't pick and choose, the fraternity doesn't need that kind of discrimination as it ultimately proves to be dangerous

wheelybin
27-11-2010, 08:55 PM
I used to rid eall year round in yorkshire. Then I moved to Scotland, and got older, the winters are toooo cold. I get the bike out for commuting (70 miles each way) and when its less than 10 degrees its tooo cold and the salt does not agree with soft monsters.

bigredduke
27-11-2010, 09:16 PM

If you're a rider who puts the bike away because the conditions are becoming too dangerous then I would say thats not an excuse and you need more experience or training because regardless of gritters or snow, if the road is wet not icy then there is no excuse for falling off/dropping it. Sounds totally ridiculous to me. Fair weather riders beware...you have to be capable of riding in all conditions in case you get caught in a shower etc. I spoke to a bloke a while ago who had a spill because he got caught in the rain and over cooked it in a corner because the road was wet. If someone wants to pack their bike away because they don't want to ride in the cold, fair enough but if its because you people think its too dangerous then sort yourselves out as your a danger to others. If you ride a bike you need to understand everything about it and the conditions that you ride in. Don't pick and choose, the fraternity doesn't need that kind of discrimination as it ultimately proves to be dangerous

Interesting point of view. As a complete fair-weather rider I have occasionally been caught out by wet roads. In those circumstances I tend to park up somewhere safe and ring my wife to bring the trailer.

Only joking. If I am caught out by wet weather I simply ride very gently and wouldn't even consider riding on the limit (wherever that is). I may not be a hardened biker these days but I do have enough experience to avoid riding like it's still dry.

BluprintZ
27-11-2010, 10:04 PM

If you're a rider who puts the bike away because the conditions are becoming too dangerous then I would say thats not an excuse and you need more experience or training ......If someone wants to pack their bike away because they don't want to ride in the cold, fair enough but if its because you people think its too dangerous then sort yourselves out as your a danger to others. If you ride a bike you need to understand everything about it and the conditions that you ride in. Don't pick and choose, the fraternity doesn't need that kind of discrimination as it ultimately proves to be dangerous

Hmm, a bit presumptuous and cutting Justin, to each their own though.

The fact that some of us have ridden in ALL weathers for over 40 odd years, probably wouldn't cut any ice (sic) with you mate.
At my age, i have a bike to give me pleasure these days, so i hardly see the point in getting soaked or cold, that gives me no pleasure at all, been there, done that.

As we are all individuals and have our own limits, then it's for each of us to decide if it's worth trashing the bike or ourselves in certain weather conditions, it's bad enough out there without pushing the envelope, just to prove a point!
But as i mentioned before, to each their own.

G ; )

Paivi
27-11-2010, 10:17 PM

I'm still waiting for the wisdom part.

Speaking as somebody who knows a thing or two about arctic conditions, snow/ice and summer tyres are a dangerous combination, even more so when there are only two wheels. In the UK, I doubt one can get any training on riding in snow, and very few chances to gain the experience either, which most people would forget the next winter anyway.

I feel comfortable enough to venture out on the Duchess in the snow, but sadly, I can't trust my fellow motorists, so yes, it would be too dangerous for me to go out. Do I need more training? Possibly. Do I need more experience? Absolutely, but it's too dangerous to get it, what with cars sliding all over the place.

Oh, and you can put that 'fraternity' in your pipe and smoke it. There's no such thing as any kind of sacred fellowship of the biker. Jeez.

gary tompkins
27-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I've done my fair share of winter riding and falling off, and my bike used to be my day to day transport for around 7 years. I don't need to ride in those conditions now so choose not, and don't really appreciate someone telling me when I should. I began riding in the summer of 1980, so if I can't cope with bad conditions by now I never will.

Fraternity my arse

He11cat
28-11-2010, 03:34 AM
I think a lot of people on here have ridden for years and done the through the winter thing..
Sometimes it gets to a point in life where you have a choice rather then you can't cope..

A lot of partners don't want their hubby out in the winter or risk them coming a cropper..

I learnt to drive a car about 6 years ago!!..because I had to, not because I wanted to.
I used to swear I would never own a car ever! But my life took a turn in a direction I thought would never happen to me and I had to learn to drive and use a car.

Before that I motorcycled everywhere ..
Then I started taking the car ..oh joy ... because I had to.

My car got hit 4 times in one year.. none my fault I have to say.. twice I was stationary and twice people on mobiles decided that even if I was stopped at a red light they where not going to!
My car totally trashed now thanks to twats its an old car but it was mint when I got it now its rent a wreck!

So I got a cheap bike and bright crash helmet and I ride every day... but thats my choice ..
I have an option of using a car but I only use it now if I have to.
But this is because I like biking it ... but I am sure I would be a bit grumpy if I had an 80 mile subzero trip to work everyday!

When a lot of us got into bikes often it was our only form of transport ... we did not have a choice.
When I was 18 - 20 I admit I had no desire to drive a car.
Also I couldn't have afforded a car and a bike back then!

A lot of people then go on to have a family or partners don't like them riding and take a few years off and when they come back they ride for pleasure only.
But they have done their past winter riding and done their time so to speak.
Now with life changes they have a choice and everyone has a right to exercise that.

Some people choose now to ride for social pleasure and not as a means of transport.
They have the experience but its just they want to enjoy their bikes when they get a chance to.
Unlike myself who is just not the ticket anyway..
I don't think people should be bollocked for that really .. only thing I will say is if your jumping on after a few years break its sensible to have a few refresher lessons .. I did and am not ashamed to admit that either.
Simple things like traffic conditions have changed so much by me in the last few years.. and its scary what you forget.

JerryT
29-11-2010, 03:13 PM

In my OP I used the word 'dangerous'. I didn't specify what the dangers might constitute. You have concentrated your attention on the danger of dropping the bike (as on ice etc). That's just one factor. I agree that it's wise to be as skilled as possible so as not to be caught out. If you only ride in fair conditions then you must exercise due caution if you ride outside of your 'comfort zone' with regard to the weather. That's just obvious.
There are quite a lot of other cold-weather-related dangers that I factor in to my riding decisions. One of those is the danger of getting hit by another road user who is not in proper control. Moreover, it doesn't have to be icy on the road for the risk of that happening to be increased. Car drivers failing to de-mist or de-ice their windscreens properly is a good example...
The other day I was horrified to see my next door neighbour drive past my house with her wipers furiously scraping away without effect on her totally iced-up windscreen, her car then mounting the pavement as she attempted and failed to negotiate the tight left hand bend only 25 yards from our house. That is an offence that could have got her points and a fine. But, as we all know, she would have to be caught or have an accident for it to be brought home to her how stupid it is. :thumbsdown:
So, as I see it, it's not just about whether YOU have control in cold conditions. Other people's actions increase the risk to you as well. The point at which you stop riding due to the cold is a personal decision based on your own assessment of discomfort and risk and as that is different for all of us I wouldn't start lecturing anyone...

cairojay
29-11-2010, 04:07 PM
In my OP I used the word 'dangerous'. I didn't specify what the dangers might constitute. You have concentrated your attention on the danger of dropping the bike (as on ice etc). That's just one factor. I agree that it's wise to be as skilled as possible so as not to be caught out. If you only ride in fair conditions then you must exercise due caution if you ride outside of your 'comfort zone' with regard to the weather. That's just obvious.
There are quite a lot of other cold-weather-related dangers that I factor in to my riding decisions. One of those is the danger of getting hit by another road user who is not in proper control. Moreover, it doesn't have to be icy on the road for the risk of that happening to be increased. Car drivers failing to de-mist or de-ice their windscreens properly is a good example...
The other day I was horrified to see my next door neighbour drive past my house with her wipers furiously scraping away without effect on her totally iced-up windscreen, her car then mounting the pavement as she attempted and failed to negotiate the tight left hand bend only 25 yards from our house. That is an offence that could have got her points and a fine. But, as we all know, she would have to be caught or have an accident for it to be brought home to her how stupid it is. :thumbsdown:
So, as I see it, it's not just about whether YOU have control in cold conditions. Other people's actions increase the risk to you as well. The point at which you stop riding due to the cold is a personal decision based on your own assessment of discomfort and risk and as that is different for all of us I wouldn't start lecturing anyone...

Apologies to anyone for causing offence with my rhetoric (one beer too many and the soapbox becomes a misguided weapon...) All I really meant was that of course people should use their own judgement and it is purely a personal thing, its just recently I have seen a number of bikers on large cc machines looking like Bambi in what I would call pretty average conditions. I agree that snow and ice are not good ingredients and whilst I am a hardened all weather biker, I too tiptoe in the snow. That however, is the major difference from someone who wobbled around on their way to work on a Gixr 1000 the other day (you know who you are!!!) and people who decide that the conditions are beyond their limits and are perfectly within their rights to park the bike up in the garage that I yearn for!