PDA

View Full Version : How brave are you ???

LVC
23-11-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm not brave enough :eyepopping:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s_n3Dln4Y74?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s_n3Dln4Y74?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

He11cat
23-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Why is he being chased up there by THe Stig?

Cheers my hands have gone clammy !!
Just needs a big spider up the top of the mast to freak me out!
He can keep his job thanks that's just mental!!!

LVC
23-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Don't think that even spiders are that stupid to be at that height - I imagine his pay cheque is quite healthy though.

uksurfer
23-11-2010, 08:41 PM
is he the bloke who takes the photos for google earth? :fou:

Char
23-11-2010, 08:46 PM
What's he going to do for an encore, dive into a cup of water ?

Pedro
23-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Saw this about a month or so ago, absolutely mental....

David Matthews
23-11-2010, 08:55 PM
I noticed the chap following him had his face obscured, perhaps he hadn't told the missus what he does for a living.

I expect the tower sways quite a bit , even in a light breeze.

johnsy
23-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Fook me, I had to remember to breathe, I'm feeling rough having watch that :on:

Does it need 2 though to change a light bulb though :dizzy:

MrsC_772
23-11-2010, 09:27 PM
:on::on::eek:

From that height, never mind safety lines, you'd need a parachute! (Base jumping has never appealed to me, but it takes all sorts).

Will stick to Go Ape myself, with 2 safety lines so you've always got one attached to something solid.

Realised my head for heights wasn't as good as I thought it was on a footpath at the edge of the Grand Canyon. It's an awfully long way down.

He11cat
23-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Standing on a chair is enough for me!!
I was the school girl who got stuck up outside at the top of St Pauls in London..I'm petrified of steps the iron ones with holes in .. I looked down froze and had to have a firemans lift down :( pretty oh the shame .
The other year I decided to again conquer my fear of heights and go up Swaffham wind turbine :( got stuck halfway up looked down froze .. No more tall things for me!

Rally
23-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I thought it was bad enough looking out of the 110th floor of "Windows of the world" in the world trade centre before it went, that is absolutely mental. I bet he gets danger money!

One question; Does he wear a parachute for safety? It would be a lot quicker coming down.......... :)

pegboy
23-11-2010, 11:04 PM
OMG!! I nearly passed out watching it. no way in the world, no matter how much they would pay me.

Thirdway
24-11-2010, 07:00 AM
I have free climbed quite a lot when I was a few years younger. It's a state of mind really, anything above 30' and you are probably not going to walk away.

It's the exposure at that height that makes it so terrifying but the handholds are solid and easy to grip unlike a rockface where they are less obvious and sometimes loose.

Would I do it ? Probably, after six months of acclimatisation and some work outs to get fit. The view alone is probably worth it.

Dookbob
24-11-2010, 09:10 AM
I felt sick watching that , I had to switch off before the end

gremlin
24-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Breathing into brown paper bag! Keep breathing! but I'm one of those that gets queasy three rungs up a ladder or walking on Southwold pier, anything where I can see daylight under my feet. What a job, surely it would be easier to be winched down from a helicopter? I know the downdraught may be an issue but at least he a)wouldn't be knckered by the time he gets there and b) would be safely strapped in. I'd hate his life insurance premiums! He must be pretty fit though so although he'd breeze a medical when they ask for his job description he'd be put on mega rate. I'd love to be that brave or that stupid, ok I am nearly that stupid.

jimz750
24-11-2010, 09:45 AM
:fou:Pair of Fruit Loops:fou:

steeevvvooo
24-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I noticed the chap following him had his face obscured, perhaps he hadn't told the missus what he does for a living.

or maybe his life insurance company! :eyepopping:

scrapps
24-11-2010, 11:16 AM
The answer is no... I would be shaking like a jelly at 40ft with a safty line attatched.:eyepopping:

desmo
24-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I couldn't watch all that, it made me feel ill.

JerryT
24-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Bloomin 'eck mate! :eyepopping:
That is a long way up without being in a 'plane!! Just shows what humans can adapt to. Well, some of us perhaps! :biggrin:

Yorkie
24-11-2010, 09:23 PM
A parachute from the top would save the climb down!

Good fitness from those two, it must have been a bit baltic at the top!

Yorkie

He11cat
25-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Knowing my luck I would get to the top and 1. need a whizz
or 2. forgot my packed lunch!

Grumpy
25-11-2010, 09:42 AM
My knees are knocking just watching the vid!!

PDL
25-11-2010, 10:11 PM
I forgot you don't have mountains darn sarf do you, see if you can see my bag at the foot of this climb

http://www.rivingtonbarn.com/files/dow_152.jpg

Darkness
26-11-2010, 08:41 AM
As Thirdway points out, after 30 feet up it just takes longer to fall: the consequences are likely to be the same!

But going up is the easy bit: how many rock climbers climb down again?

Some of those changes between ladders were pretty dificult on the way up: very hard to see your footing on the way down, and a safety lanyard isn't likely to help if you have to keep climbing back up to unhook it.

Plenty high enough to parachute though, and probably safer!

And the chance of getting me up there is probably less than 1 in infinity!!!!!!!

Thirdway
26-11-2010, 05:48 PM
As Thirdway points out, after 30 feet up it just takes longer to fall: the consequences are likely to be the same!

But going up is the easy bit: how many rock climbers climb down again?

Well me for one :o When I reach a bit that my head doesn't like, all I can do is admit defeat and reverse it. Also did it a lot of times while caving (the advantage is you can't see the floor), nice wet rock and only a head torch makes it a fun thing to do.

Not sure about the parachute. It's OK for distance, but depends on what the wind is doing. Might end up back on the mast, hanging from the harness while the canopy slowly shreds :eyepopping::eyepopping:

Thirdway
26-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I forgot you don't have mountains darn sarf do you, see if you can see my bag at the foot of this climb

http://www.rivingtonbarn.com/files/dow_152.jpg

Climbed there in the 80's. Seem to remenber lots of evil midgies.

big pete
27-11-2010, 12:26 PM
i used this as a safety share at work coz my factory is HSE / WAH crazy.

gary tompkins
27-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm not good with heights and it's got worse as I've got older. I often have to navigate ladders to work at height or in deep tunnels as part of my job. We are working on a big HV cable install in 10k of tunnels at Croydon at the moment, where some of the drop shafts are over 100 feet deep. I've looked down hatchways from the top and it freaks me out. The access itself is via stairwells rather than ladders, but 15 flights is still tough on the legs.

My worst moment was up a HV terminal tower (pylon) about 6 years back. The tower platform was 70 feet up with temporary scaffold/ladder access. I had to use 6 vertical ladders to climb the scaffold, it was also mid February and blowing a gale. Wind chill was off the charts so my hands and face were numb by the time I got up there. Our work required the upper platform to be sheeted off, creating a sort of tarpaulin hut. Trouble was the wind was getting hold of it like a sail, and the tower was swaying about a foot back and forth with gusts. I was crapping myself and couldn't get back down fast enough.

Those radio tower boys have got serious balls. At the point he stepped off the main ladder onto the open mast... :eyepopping: All I can say is f@ck that!

He11cat
27-11-2010, 03:34 PM
As I have said I am petrified of heights but more so the stair thing and ladders .

The one time I conquered it was I promised to do an abseil for a friends daughter who had Downs.
I went up with her then hubby...
I was fine until the last bit was ladder onto the roof.. I was shaking.
When we got up we both got ready to go over and he freaked out .. I was shaking and nearly in tears as was terrified.. he legged it...

I thought well I am bolloxed now he's just walked away and that had cost the little girl a few hundred and I had the same on me going over..I wanted to run after him!! But couldn't do it to her.

I just could not get myself to lean back onto the face I was going down..my brain just wouldn't let me do it.. so I crawled over the edge in a very undignified fashion and then boinged down.. once I was over it was great! It just took so bloody long to get up there as opposed to getting back down!

Would I do it again ..? No bloody way!!

analogue_rogue
27-11-2010, 03:47 PM
what that guy does is what i do for the RAF. although i dont do the aerial stuff thats what the aerial erectors are for!!! (they have a distinct lack of self worth with all the heights they climb)