PDA

View Full Version : Scottoiler on 2010 Monster 696

HelgiJ
20-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Has anyone fitted a Scottoiler vSystem on a Monster 696? - If so I would be interested to know where best to put the reservoir.

Kato
20-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Don't do it a scottoiler is the devils work.

MrsC_772
20-11-2010, 06:00 PM
I got Snells to fit a Scottoiler on my 696 before I collected the bike. Although I bought the bike in September 2009 they told me it was the 2010 model with the adjustable levers.

Picture at http://www.cawte.nildram.co.uk/Scottoiler_resized.JPG

Scottoil reservoir is on the left hand side of the frame. Not elegant, but then all the mods I've done are purely functional rather than bling! (Hothands, every R&G crash bung or bobbin I could find, and the Scottoiler).

popelli
20-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Don't do it a scottoiler is the devils work.

certainly is because the chains last forever

motojohn
20-11-2010, 08:20 PM
put it in the bin the dirty fithy thing:Furious::Furious:

HelgiJ
21-11-2010, 11:39 AM
MrsC - Many thanks for the picture, it is most useful. I have already got the bike and found the oiling not too easy, so will have to fit it myself, so this is a great help.
As for the reasons not to fit one at all. I am doing 50 miles commuting every day. This bike unfortunately only has a side stand so I find it a hazzle oiling the chain, compared to the last bike where I could put the on a stand and roll the wheel by hand. I hope that this will make the life a bit easier.

rollo22
21-11-2010, 12:00 PM
You could place it under the number plate on a bracket.

DucHead
21-11-2010, 12:57 PM
If you have the extra scratch, go for the Scottoiler eSystem -- the electronically controlled one, and fit a Lube Tube at the same time. Awesome product!

I fit one to my Bandit before a 4700 mile trip this past May, and it works like a charm. Lube Tube fill-ups every 3200 miles or so. Other than that, chain maintenance = wiping off a little dirt once every two months. Plus, I'm currently over 18,000 miles on my chain. Prior to the Scottoiler, I only got about 12k miles/chain.

markh
21-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I had a scottoiler on my old Hornet. Never again!

I could never get it adjusted properly. It'd either cover the tyre in oil or have no flow at all.

I don't find oiling the chain manually to be much of a chore.

lisyloo
22-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi - My scottoiler reservoir is under the seat.

I wouldn't recommend one though.
The chain guard on the 696 is too short so you'll get splatter on your tyre tread and on the back on your jacket, even on your helmet.
You'll turn it down really low because of this and therefore reduce a lot of the benefit.

If I knew what I know now, I'd just lube the chain manually.

BluprintZ
22-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Has anyone fitted a Scottoiler vSystem on a Monster 696? - If so I would be interested to know where best to put the reservoir.

Preferably in your wheelie bin!

This is from an article in this months Motorcycle sport and leisure magazine by Andy Fors**** (the chain man), who has been involved with chains for over 37 years.

" There is only one proper way to lubricate a standard chain, remove it from the bike, give it a good clean in paraffin and boil it in genuine chain wax.
It's not the quickest or easiest of jobs but it's the method implemented by the chain manufacturers. because it works.

For all sealed types of chains like O rings, etc the practice would be pointless, because you'd never be able to get in behind the the O rings, to access the bearings which need lubricating.
In fact, spraying O ring chains with chain lube has very little effect, other than to creat a buffer between the sprocket and chain, not doing much more than reducing the noise created.

If you chose to lubricate your chain with a sprayed product, it's essential to apply the lubricant sparingly, aiming it on the inside run of the chain on the sprocket, so that the lube throws out onto the chain".

Ok, the above article is aimed at spray lubes, although the advice is the same for anyone wanting to install a Scott oiler system, it's pointess and messy, nothing more than a gimick.

G ; )

ps; why part the authors name has been blanked out i fail to understand, unless of course it's because that part of his name is the same as a mans genitalia?
Dear me, rufty, tufty bikers and we can't even print the word D*I*C*K !!

Banus
22-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Never realy liked naked bikes as they WERE all cables / tubes / pipes and cable ties which were all visible and made the bike look a right mess. Then the 696 came along - with really clean lines for a naked and none of the above were visible at all - so I'm certainly not going to install a Scotoiler !

Only four words needed here for chain lubrication - Wurth Dry Chain lube - it's all been said before butI'll say it again -absolutely amazin stuff.

markh
23-11-2010, 06:07 PM
only four words needed here for chain lubrication - wurth dry chain lube - it's all been said before buti'll say it again -absolutely amazin stuff.

+1 .

lisyloo
24-11-2010, 11:10 AM
My Scottoiler is almost invisible, so it is possible to do a neat install, but that's for the chain lube tip.

Banus
27-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Agreed. I have seen some almost invisible installations but i've also seen some that look as tidy as North sea oil rig!