PDA

View Full Version : Much better than FIAT

Pomp1
18-11-2010, 12:22 PM
..AMG is official partner of Ducati MotoGP for the 2011 season
linky (http://www.lastampa.it/_web/multimedia/motorimedia.asp?IDmsezione=16&IDalbum=2536&tipo=466)

Kerry
18-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Very interesting.................

:ukm:

samieb
18-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Would AMG give a discount to UKMOC/DOC owners.?.

I'll get my coat.... :biggrin:

Fugly
18-11-2010, 12:46 PM
well I guess Vale will be handing back the Fiat 500 :biggrin:

animaluk
18-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Hummm one of the danger words for me when i see it on a car

AMG, Kompresser, Alpina, Aline, M, TT or Golf, TDI Pretty much means I drive like a cnut

scrapps
18-11-2010, 01:40 PM

AMG, Kompresser, Alpina, Aline, M, TT or Golf, TDI Pretty much means I drive like a cnut

Mmm that comment will not go down well with some on this site :eyepopping:

From a C### with a M. (with no indicators and that ALWAYS has right of way)

Stafford
18-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Hummm one of the danger words for me when I see it on a car

The boys got a point, why do German car drivers dive like cnuts?

The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Albie
18-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Mmm that comment will not go down well with some on this site :eyepopping:

From a C### with a M. (with no indicators and that ALWAYS has right of way)

Your an exception to the rule mate. Other than the fact you want to go round a 40mph advised bend at 80 mph :eyepopping::eyepopping:

walpole68
18-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Germans make the best cars in the world,simples,if you haven't realised that yet than maybe you have had your eyes shut for 10 years or just not passed your driving test!

David Matthews
18-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Don't mince words, do you? Perhaps your quote should be included in driver and rider training, certainly rings true.

animaluk
18-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Germans make the best cars in the world,simples,if you haven't realised that yet than maybe you have had your eyes shut for 10 years or just not passed your driving test!

Id ammend that to make the best cars people can afford :)

utopia
18-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I find the word "taxi" to be of the same ilk, in many cases.
And I'm wary of personal plates.

Kato
18-11-2010, 04:38 PM

A view from a man wearing blinkers.

walpole68
18-11-2010, 05:48 PM
A view from a man wearing blinkers.

The view of a jealous man.

scrapps
18-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Your an exception to the rule mate. Other than the fact you want to go round a 40mph advised bend at 80 mph :eyepopping::eyepopping:

Yep you do have a point but....in my defence I do do the same on the bike and blame the road designer for making such a great,long,smooth bend that seems to just go on for ever...... I love going round that bend:woot::woot:

Kato
18-11-2010, 06:59 PM
The view of a jealous man.

Farther from the truth you could never get, I find german cars soulless and very very boring, and yes I've had a couple SL 500, M3 (a proper one) and driven many......and I always go back to an Alfa or Lancia

walpole68
18-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I always go back to an Alfa or Lancia

And the AA man!

Dookbob
18-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Farther from the truth you could never get, I find german cars soulless and very very boring, and yes I've had a couple SL 500, M3 (a proper one) and driven many......and I always go back to an Alfa or Lancia

lot of low mileage Alfa,s about, truth is I `ve never seen a high mileage one

MrsC_772
18-11-2010, 08:34 PM
I believe "replace engine" was a scheduled service item on the Lancia Delta Integrale!

steeevvvooo
18-11-2010, 08:42 PM
My car is boring... a CLK CDI. But, I use it for motorways, and comfort. It does both very well!

The monster is for fun, and now I have the Diversion with topbox and panniers, the car is likely to only get used in really cr@p weather, or when I need to lug loads of stuff around

(as per my signature, although I broke my own rules by buying a jap bike as well :banghead:)

crust
18-11-2010, 09:21 PM
lot of low mileage Alfa,s about, truth is I `ve never seen a high mileage one

Mines on 131,000 and still going :)

rac3r
18-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Now on the GP site (in English :D)

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/ducati+with+amg

rac3r
18-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Not the best bike for the pictures on the ducati site:

http://www.ducati.com/news/ducati_to_cooperate_with_amg/2010/11/18/1866/index.do

Saint aka ML
18-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Ok so is the bike going to be AMG/Mercedes Silver or Black?

cairojay
18-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Nothing like cars to stoke the fires! Its all a personal choice....Give me an Allegro any time - now theres a car that looks better with polyfilla!

crust
19-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Mines on 131,000 and still going :)

And the gods of fate looked down on Crust, smiled, and smote his car the very next morning.

Whats that? Steam coming out from the bonnet on the motorway?

Oh, yes, thou shallt not tempt us by posting about your Alfas longevity, boasting of its wondrous mileage for we will blow heavily on your head gasket and lo and behold there will be steam and smoke and your engine will blow and you shall be stood in the freezing cold waiting for an AA man to come and perform the tow of shame.

Bye bye Alfa, you have been fun and lasted longer than even I expected but your owner was an eejit and tempted the gods and you have been cursed.

Off to surf the bay of E for a new motor

Fugly
19-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Bye bye Alfa, you have been fun and lasted longer than even I expected but your owner was an eejit and tempted the gods and you have been cursed.

Oh that is cruel, have you no heart man? :(
Said the Alfa owner who cancelled the advert to sell it because he loves it soooo much :worried:

Albie
19-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Oh dont guys. I just got my first Alfa. Technically its a Fiat engine but at least its had nearly 19,000 of trouble free motoring.

Italian cars are very much like italian bikes imho.Shapely or distinguishble than the rest. I also do believe German cars are very well built and I crave for an Audi TT but her indoors couldn't wouldn't like driving one. Or a Suburu Impreza.

So far Im very pleased with my purchase as it looks good goes well and makes me happy like my bike.

Keep the argument going guys but its personal choice above all.

Fugly
19-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi Albie,

Yep Alfa ownership is just like Ducati ownership, full of character and the odd irritation that keeps you tinkering. German cars are like Jap cars and jap bikes, (IMHO) fast, efficient and totally without soul or character.

If you think the antics of German car owner in the UK is bad, you ought to see them on the Autobahns! Zero awareness of anyone who may want ot overtake truck as they plough forever onwards at 250kph.

I'm with Animal, if it's got an Audi badge on the back it's got a cnut behind the wheel!

OK ,rant over.

I saw on Yahoo this morning a survey by 30000 what car readers which ranked Alfa 4th in terms of ownership experience so enjoy the Mito.

VIVA le Alfisti (or is that rude? :confused: )

utopia
19-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Cars...?
For me its a diesel Astra estate, with a cd player.
My last one did 300,000m before the missus hit a tractor. This one's on about 200,000. Both bought cheap with 100,000m already on them.
Always starts, always gets you there, loads of room for lugging stuff about. Love the lazy torque of a diesel engine on four wheels....never makes me hurry, gets there quick anyway. Famously, I once chugged up a steep wet muddy farm track into trowbridge festival, 4 adults, full camping gear inc roof rack, 1st gear at tickover, went straight up no problem....even stuck my foot out the window as proof.
The older, the better. No-one ever tries to nick it then.
My current one has electronics and air con though. I'm thinking of trading it in for an older one...!!

Then if its not the monster, its the dommie.

He11cat
19-11-2010, 06:39 PM
I loved my peoples wagon:)
my ride is a vauxhall AStra with a casette player.. IT's an LS model which I have been told stands for luxury sh*t model bloody cheek
I can shove a cassete thing from poundland in the sterio and it plays an iPod!!!

I'm sorry to say this (doesn't include Scrapps) Bmw drivers grrrrrrrrrr attitude problems it seems !!
The worst drivers I find in town sorry ladies to let the side down is young women in hot hatches .. Around early 20s not looking , gasbagging to mate or more commonly on their mobiles.. I got hit 3 times in 2009 all women 2 on the phone!! One who knows.. Oh school run mums.. No you can't park you car in the middle of the road and get out and leave it while you drop your kids off.. Also can't park for toffee.

scrapps
20-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Don't worry HC I knew that I would be tarred with the same brush as others when I got a BMW as they do seem to attract more than a few bad drivers. That's why I put the comment about not having any indicators and always having the right of way.
I do agree ref lots of young girls driving badly due to phones and other distractions.
I could not afford the 911 that I would love to drive.(one day)

Capo
20-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I crave for an Audi TT

Hairdresser's cars:biggrin:

uksurfer
20-11-2010, 05:44 PM
.. No you can't park you car in the middle of the road and get out and leave it while you drop your kids off...

you can where my daughter goes :biggrin:

MrsC_772
20-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Funny how different people have problems with the drivers of different makes or types of car.

Andy has had a few bad experiences with drivers of Saabs (the one which tailgated us at speed down twisty country lanes in Northumberland on our honeymoon springs to mind).

I've always had a problem with the drivers of navy blue Mercs (who frequently have a "I own the road - get out of my way peasant!" driving style in my experience). Audis seem to be favoured by the impatient and those who change lanes with no warning and for no good reason.

Other drivers show you different amounts of courtesy depending on what you're driving. When I was 18, I found people much more willing to let me onto the motorway when I was driving my boss's Volvo 240 estate (purchased for the use of his assistant - at that time me - because he worked from home in a village with no public transport) than my mum's Vauxhall Nova. Andy finds they're much happier to let him in when he's driving the Scooby than the BMW 330D. We both make a point of trying to let people in when we're driving the BMW to confound the stereotype!

Gordon H
20-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Andy has had a few bad experiences with drivers of Saabs

This particular Saab driver is really very nice and shows total consideration for all other road users........ unless they are truck drivers who change lanes without looking or baulk all traffic behind by overtaking at 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000001 mph faster than the vehicle they are overtaking. :grump::grump::grump:

(regains composure)

Anyways, years ago it was always the Volvo driver one had to watch for........ it seems that nowadays, Audi's and Mercs are now the vehicle of choice for "cocks" (as James May so aptly puts it)

:twak:

He11cat
21-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Gordons "Anyways, years ago it was always the Volvo driver one had to watch for........ it seems that nowadays, Audi's and Mercs are now the vehicle of choice for "cocks" (as James May so aptly puts it)"

So true.. later 80's early 90's we where watchful of the volvo..was always the bikers joke the Volvo driver!

I also told a member of my family off for sticking bull bars on his jeep do dah..hairdressers 4X4.
I said you seen what they do to bikers?? .. are you in the countryside ?? will you hit any livestock in Croydon ?? No ?
Take those dreadful things off!

I hate those things on jeeps and 4X4S if you live in the country or your a farmer fair do's..
If not take the dam murderous things off.

NattyBoy
21-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Ha ha ! I love these threads !!!

No one loves itlalian things more than me. Ive owned plenty of italian cars and loved all of them. But (and its a big but), I now do 30k miles a year and it would be financial suicide for me to invest my money in an italian car for that kind of mileage. If someone could guarantee me a reasonable return on my investment for my workhorse I'd be signing up for a Brera S tommorrow.

But they cant, so its german all the way for me sadly. But I did make the effort to get something a litle differerent...For the last 3 yrs I have officially been an Alpina c**t - lol !! Incidentally, the last one did 35,000 miles in 18 months and lost me £1500 to make the point about depreciation.

Food for thought about the 'Germans make the best cars in the world" comment. Barring Fiat (and consequently Ferrari/Maserati/Lancia/Alfa) dont our teutonic friends own most of the other megacar brands now now ? (Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Rolls Royce). Even a good deal of the the supercar motors that arent of German origin seem to run german motors ! (Pagani, Gumpert etc).

However, lets not get carried away, depending on how you define 'best' then the germans certainly have a case for currently making some of the worlds finest cars, but draw up an all time top 20 of greatest cars, and the italians would walk away with it. Fact.

But back to the thread...could be worse..they could be lead sponsor of our motogp team :chuckle:

Pomp1
23-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Now, to get this thread back on track, rumors would have it that this is only the first step into a full-scale acquisition of Ducati from the AMG group..

walpole68
23-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Now, to get this thread back on track, rumors would have it that this is only the first step into a full-scale acquisition of Ducati from the AMG group..

Im sure it will happen,the VW group boss tried to buy Ducati but was declined as already had shares in Suzuki,expect both Audi/VW and Mercedes Benz to both have bikes on sale in the coming years.Audi still onlys NSU so that brand name could reappear.

jimz750
23-11-2010, 04:12 PM
I've Got a SEAT LEON - Does that Count?