PDA

View Full Version : Why so heavy?

rac3r
15-11-2010, 08:13 PM
I've been sitting on a few bikes and bought one (not ridden yet) and I found that they are so light compared to the Monster. What I don't understand is this bike is fully faired, liquid cooled and is a 4cyl where as the Monster was air cooled, un-faired and a 2cyl so why does it weigh more or the other weigh less?

I know Ducati's tend to be heavier than others so is there any reason for this? Sorry for all the why and ? but it's been bugging me for a while now :chuckle:

MrsC_772
15-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Monsters heavy? Unless you've been sitting on little trials bikes, I find it hard to believe.

One of the first things that struck me when I sat on the 696 was how light it felt compared with my 400 Bandit!

rac3r
15-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Monsters heavy? Unless you've been sitting on little trials bikes, I find it hard to believe.

One of the first things that struck me when I sat on the 696 was how light it felt compared with my 400 Bandit!

The Monster isn't heavy as such but compared to my new bike it's slightly heavier. Maybe the new gen Monsters are lighter?

animaluk
15-11-2010, 08:42 PM
what bike you got ??

Saint aka ML
15-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Remember that monsters feel top heavy so it may only seem it is heavier.

rac3r
15-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Remember that monsters feel top heavy so it may only seem it is heavier.

Ahh that could be it. I bought an 04 636

utopia
15-11-2010, 09:13 PM
You're probably feeling more than just the effect of weight alone.
I thought Ducatis were generally light, but maybe their centre of gravity is different, possibly due to the constraints of trying to fit a 90deg v-twin with big cylinders into the available space.
Also, modern sports bikes have very steep steering axes, making them feel easier to turn, and the limited lock on a monster makes them feel more cumbersome at slow speeds anyway.
Monster seat/ride height is quite low too, which maybe gives less leverage between the bars and the CofG.
I'm just thinking out loud, There are lots of factors which could have an effect. Wheelbase, tyre size, etc.
I reckon the monster is designed primarily to be ridden though, and once on the move the various factors combine in a different way and it all makes sense. Thats why we love 'em, eh ?
I tried a Dresda framed T500 suzuki in the 70's. (basically a kind of featherbed copy). The difference was staggering. The Dresda felt heavy and cumbersome until you got it moving, even though I imagine it was lighter, but once on the move it all made sense......slightly too much sense for the road, I thought, but possibly the same sort of effect.
And the fact that you're pondering these kind of issues perhaps confirms that a change of bike was a good move for you at this time. I bet you have another monster in the future though.

Capo
15-11-2010, 09:18 PM
You could compare the published weight of the motorcycles you have mentioned but they are not really accurate.

I've got my watercooled S4R down to 165kg, and every time I move it I am struck by how light it feels.

Blufoot
15-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Might just be to position of the bars, if you monster didn't have clip ons and your new bike does

rac3r
15-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I tried clip ons on the Monster for a while but switched back. I haven't ridden this one yet so I'll see what it's like when I do

Oh yes I will have another Monster one day!

Saint aka ML
16-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Well K 636 is lighter when you compare dry weight but then if you compare fully loaded it is only 2 - 4 kg apart.

K 636 is apparently 161 dry while monster is 169 dry but then you add water to K 636 on top of oil and other fluids and it all adds up.

BTW weight is quoted based on internet so might be/will be some what wrong.

Gamsa
16-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Try a Triumph Trophy 900 if you want to taste heavy. It weighs about 220Kg dry and all that weight is high up in the huge beam-running-over-the-top-of-the-engine frame. Monsters are light as a feather!

rac3r
16-11-2010, 09:37 AM
I went for like a 15 minute ride today (not the best idea considering the weather and not having ridden it before) it's fcking weird! :chuckle:

animaluk
16-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Try a Triumph Trophy 900 if you want to taste heavy. It weighs about 220Kg dry and all that weight is high up in the huge beam-running-over-the-top-of-the-engine frame. Monsters are light as a feather!

Or i used to have an exup1000 years ago 203kg dry 223kg wet that was a heavy bike when bikes where made of granite and churches, it was my first 1000cc bike scared the crap out of me i was only young lol

He11cat
16-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Try some of the 80's lumps I like .... If you want heavy lol.

And Kats are funny things to ride and push about low centre of gravity compared to the monster caught me out a few times the change between those two bikes is um different.
Good luck with the new one btw..

Panther
16-11-2010, 10:58 AM
I went for like a 15 minute ride today (not the best idea considering the weather and not having ridden it before) it's fcking weird! :chuckle:

Did you try to give it beans at 5,000rpm and nothing happen?

If you sit no the new 696, that fells really light compared to a 620i.e (but have no idea of the actual figures)

rac3r
16-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I didn't really look at the speedo :chuckle: It was only on local roads so I was just trying to get used to it and suprisingly it pulls pretty well from low down. You can even stick it in 3rd and use it like a moped :D

I need to go on a proper ride though...