PDA

View Full Version : Xbox

steeevvvooo
13-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Bought an XBOX 360 elite, brand new, from ebay mid 2008. After buying the new Call of Duty Black Ops last night, and playing about 4 hours across last night and today, I get "the red ring of death" :hissy: Error message "E74" on screen.

I have a mate who fixes XBOX's for a living, so called him. He said it's buggered. He can fix it, but would recommend selling it asap afterwards as it always re-occurs! Microsoft apparently extended their warranty to 3 years specifically to cover this fault.

So, check the "manufactured date" on the back (as I didn't buy from an official retailer so no real proof of purchase)... 19/10/2007!! 3 WEEKS OUT OF WARRANTY!!! :grump::dizzy::cens::cens::cens:

Anyway, logged on to Microsoft, registered the serial number and submitted a request for repair. Got an instant message saying "the warranty for this fault expires 16 Feb 2011". No idea how the dates are worked out, but fair play to Microsoft for extending the warranty for a known manufacturing defect!

Moral of the story... you don't ask, you don't get! Hopefully Microsoft have a longer term fix than my mate would have done...

Kerry
13-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear that. Its also happend to me too but good old microsoft got it sorted. Pm me your gamer tag and my be see you on line. What you think of black ops? Just got Kinect, now theres a technical peice of kit.

Have fun..........................

Kerry

LouSCannon
13-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Yup, had no hassle returning one of mine.... tag the same as here, LouSCannon

animaluk
13-11-2010, 09:14 PM
You have to argue about a return to MS lol

Elite, why did you not by the slimline ???

rac3r
13-11-2010, 10:07 PM
I have one of the first 360's and had a problem quite a while back (sound but no picture) and while I was talking to the support it RROD'd and they fixed it for free!

He11cat
14-11-2010, 12:32 AM
I got mine sorted RROD as well ...
Looked at kinect and my mate posted a video up of him doing the dancing last night the waz! was funnier then Wii hoola hooping!!..
Only snag is he has to stand over 8 ft away to get his head in the screen..
I thought about getting one then it dawned on me even as a short arse my Tv with the xbox is so low id have to dance on all fours to get my head on the screen..
I really don't fancy crawling about the floor waving my arms about or cocking my leg like a dog to some dance music.. I would need to buy a new t.v!!
Mind you beats chucking a Wii remote at the wall which I did as well.. the Wii really is boring ..

Barthog
14-11-2010, 06:41 AM
What out for those kinects, they are dangerous!
Got mine on tuesday and later today i am off to casualty as i think ive broke my foot.

steeevvvooo
14-11-2010, 08:10 AM
hmmm might give connect a miss then... sounds dangerous!

Glad others have had good experiences of MS fixing their boxes, so fingers crossed mine is repaired for free as well!

As for slimline, nah, I prefer the old school elite! :) I might lose a slimline!

Jungle24
14-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Had exactly the same issue re just out of warrenty, called them up and they said they would cover me and arranged for UPS to pick it up from me. I received a new replacement with 90 day warrenty and a months xbox live access to cover my lost time online. I had it back in 9 days!! Always worth asking as I was also going to chuck mine in the bin! If anyone fancies a teamdeath match add me as a friend Smoggyjungle24.

gary tompkins
14-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Get an external fan booster for the XBox

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xbox-360-Cooling-fan-/280587672674?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories _VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item4154541c62

Most of the deaths are due to overheating, and the additional air circulation makes a big difference. Also check it's getting good ventilation, and not being heated by other electical appliances - like DVD, Video or Digibox.

The fan does make a lot more noise, but I've had mine on it since new (December 2008) and it's still ok... touch wood :look:

What's the verdict on COD Black Ops so far by the way?

rac3r
14-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Black ops is OK. Compared to MW2 the graphics and cut scenes aren't great but apart from that it's not bad, I haven't tried online yet

Jungle24
14-11-2010, 11:12 PM
I love it personally but never got into the previous one! the main story is great and online too but some are saying the sniper mode is not as quick as previous version!

animaluk
15-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Get an external fan booster for the XBox

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xbox-360-Cooling-fan-/280587672674?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories _VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item4154541c62

Most of the deaths are due to overheating, and the additional air circulation makes a big difference. Also check it's getting good ventilation, and not being heated by other electical appliances - like DVD, Video or Digibox.

The fan does make a lot more noise, but I've had mine on it since new (December 2008) and it's still ok... touch wood :look:

What's the verdict on COD Black Ops so far by the way?

Will not help a waste of money,

Best way to look after them is to keep the air vents free of dust this is what makes them over heat the fan has to work harder then the bearings fail simple really so few people do it mind the clip on fans just create a second place for fluff to get trapped

slipperyweeguy
15-11-2010, 08:02 AM
I don't own an Xbox. I am an ex retail manager.
If a product has a fault inherent by its design or manufacture then the consumer in the UK has rights that are not limited by the warranties offered by retailers and or manufacturers. Retailers often rely on customers believing that they have only one year or two years (as in the rest of Europe). I have copied this off another website written for retailers, but your local trading standards /consumer advice office can supply plain english guides.

"Many retailers offer a free guarantee (or warranty) to customers. Sometimes these are provided by the manufacturer and sometimes by the retailer. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 set out rules that apply when you give a customer a free guarantee.
...(edited)...
It is important to remember that a guarantee does not replace or limit a customer's rights. Customers are entitled to raise a problem with you regarding a product for up to six years from the date of purchase (five years from the discovery of a problem in Scotland) regardless of the terms of any guarantee. Customers are entitled to rely on the remedies available to them under law (outlined in this guide) rather than their rights under a guarantee, if they wish.

This means that if a customer complains to you about an item that is not fit for purpose, does not match the description, or is not of satisfactory quality, you must deal with their complaint - you cannot force them to use their guarantee."

Of course, normal wear and tear is not a fault. Hope this helps someone, sometime, somewhere.

steeevvvooo
15-11-2010, 12:31 PM
yeah, COD is good, but not sure how much better than Modern Warfare, if at all. :dizzy:

It seemed pretty good online, with lots of new maps, but as it's mostly hardcore fans who have bought it as soon as it's released, I was useless! Was starting to get a bit frustrated being shot to pieces all the time (probably by 12 year old kids!)

Cheers for the fan/cleaning advice, as well as consumer rights! Hopefully it will come back all fixed from Microsoft...

gary tompkins
15-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Will not help a waste of money,

Best way to look after them is to keep the air vents free of dust this is what makes them over heat the fan has to work harder then the bearings fail simple really so few people do it mind the clip on fans just create a second place for fluff to get trapped

Not if you bother to keep it clean in the first place

A lot of failures are caused by failed solder joints on the motherboard, cased by stresses induced by the heat/cool cycle during use. The lead free solder used was also an issue, due to it's higher melting temperature leading to poor joint quality. As was defective components used on early models during assembly. Upgrades fitted to later (2008+) consoles including revised motherboards and better GPU heatsinks have helped. The failure rate on early 60GB consoles was over 30%, and at it's peak in 2007, Microsoft were getting 2500 units returned for repair in the UK alone!

The fan might not have saved mine but at under £20 it was a cheap insurance policy.

Kerry
15-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Same here, its good but i think i would say MW2 is better. Been on line got shot will finish campagne and try again.

Kinect is great for a laugh, just make sure you have enough space you dont kick anything

Kerry ( see yo on line and kick some butt) :ukm:

animaluk
16-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Same here, its good but i think i would say MW2 is better. Been on line got shot will finish campagne and try again.

Kinect is great for a laugh, just make sure you have enough space you dont kick anything

Kerry ( see yo on line and kick some butt) :ukm:

The only problem with the kinect is that it requires a lot of space had one on my desk for about a year and its pretty much stayed in its box, Gimmicky like the wii

Kerry
18-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi AnimalUK, How did you manage to get hold of one for about a year? Thought they had just come out.

Gonna sell the Wii, old hat now.

Kerry

animaluk
18-11-2010, 12:58 PM
I make computer games for a living

Nickj
18-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Customers are entitled to raise a problem with you regarding a product for up to six years from the date of purchase (five years from the discovery of a problem in Scotland) regardless of the terms of any guarantee. Customers are entitled to rely on the remedies available to them under law (outlined in this guide) rather than their rights under a guarantee, if they wish.

You're quite right, not a lot of people seem to know that ... And this is good across Europe so applies to Monsters as well as x-boxes.
Sometimes the 'good will' fixes that Ducati try to give you aren't as good a deal as they would like make them seem .... especially when their legal obligation is to fix it