PDA

View Full Version : New Owner (well, nearly)!

Nick_M
25-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Hi Guys,

I have just purchased a new M796, although I am still awaiting its arrival.

Spec so far:

Corse Logomania body kit
Termis (of course)
Carbon top and bottom tank inserts
Pillion grab rail
Heated grips (this will be an all year round bike!)
Alarm (of course)
Garmin 660 SatNav kit (for when I get lost on rideouts).

Hopefully should be getting it at the end of this week, but the dealer is still waiting for some of the accessories to arrive.

I had a test ride several weeks back and found it one of the most 'fun' bikes I have ever ridden, ideal around town, and capable for those two-up blasts out to the suburbs/countryside (yep even the wife sanctioned this purchase - which is more than I can say for my R1 which she says she will never get on the back of again:mand:).

I am now counting down the days and bugging the hell out of the dealer....

I live in SW London, and often pop down to Box hill or the Ace, so hopefully I can join in with a Ducati ride out at some point?

Stuart42
25-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi Nick

and welcome.

Sadly just missed our last ride, thats the Hampshire lots, ride to Box but am sure we'll be there soon next year.

More than welcome to join us and hope to see you soon

Cheers
Stuart

rac3r
25-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Welcome!

Compulsory pics as soon as it arrives :D

rollo22
25-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the club.
For town riding you may find it lumpy and grumpy with the standard front sprocket most people go down a tooth.Bex has the smaller sprocket so she should be able to pass on her experience.

scrapps
26-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Hello nick and welcome. Hope you get your bike soon the 796 looks a great choice.

J.P
26-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi and a big welcome, sounds like you'll having plenty of fun as winter approaches.
Certainly look at fitting the 14 tooth front sproket, nearly everyone does for the slow speed lumpiness.

And it's a pretty active club in the South east so there should be lots going on in the year ahead if you wanted to join in.

samieb
26-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Yep, Welcome and enjoy..

:mand: :eek: :mand:

Nick_M
26-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys,

I will definately look into the sprocket......

Popped into the dealer today, and it seems all they are waiting on is the carbon bits......

....and the Termis

....and the Corse body kit

....but still thinks should be able to pick it up on Friday!!!!:scratch:

Oh well, its raining anyways...........!

On a more positive note they have half fitted the heated grips, and the grab rail is sitting in a box, and they gave me the rear luggage unit to take away.

Nick_M
29-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Just got a call from the dealer,

Corse kit is fitted, and termis have just turned up today - Yay!!

just waiting for the Carbon bits now.....

Char
29-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Christmas is coming early - come to Hants for the breakfast meet on the 14th so we can see

Nick_M
03-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Christmas is coming early - come to Hants for the breakfast meet on the 14th so we can see

I'm up for that!

where and what time?

Char
03-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Hill Top Diner, Salisbury
http://www.hilltopdiner.co.uk/
Our wonderfull Hants rep (UK Surfer) will post meeting times nearer the time - normally 10-30 - 11 ish

uksurfer
03-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Hi Nick,

and welcome to the club
your more than welcome to join us for breakfast, all the information you might need is here...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=39196

cheers
martin

Nick_M
04-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Hill Top Diner, Salisbury
http://www.hilltopdiner.co.uk/
10-30 - 11 ish

Well that could be a nice long rideout to run it in!!

If I ever get it that is.....

Called dealer yesterday (the day I was supposed to pick it up), to find:

1) Ducati sales guy had an accident on way to work (right outside the store), and had been taken to hospital (and written off his multistrada).
2) No-one could make head nor tail of the paperwork in his absence
3) Upon visiting the store I managed to find someone who could decipher the paper trail
4) Upon deciphering the paper trail, it appears that the dealer had not applied for payment from the finance company.
5) End result: could not pick up the bike.

So now I await a call today to find out where we are.

The bike is ready to collect though and having seen it I think it looks stunning, and the sound from the Termis is just awesome (he started it up in the showroom and the sound just bounced off the walls!), and I can't wait to get it out on the road.

Nick_M
04-11-2010, 03:24 PM
well here we are on Thursday evening and still no bike :-[

already started buying more carbon fiber bits for it though ;-)

Liz
04-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Hope you get delivery of your new bike soon Nick. The Hants brekkie meet is still another week away, it would be a good rideout for you if you can make it! Which side of Londinium are you?

Nick_M
05-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Hope you get delivery of your new bike soon Nick. The Hants brekkie meet is still another week away, it would be a good rideout for you if you can make it! Which side of Londinium are you?

Going out to spain for work for a long weekend today so won't be able to pick it up until at least next tuesday now...:grump:

....assuming of course that the dealer has finally got their act together by then!

I'm in SW London so its about 75 miles to the brekkie place, should be a nice run, and I can try the new satnav kit out at the same time!

just hope the weather will be good.

singletrack
05-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Going out to spain for work for a long weekend today so won't be able to pick it up until at least next tuesday now...:grump:

....assuming of course that the dealer has finally got their act together by then!

I'm in SW London so its about 75 miles to the brekkie place, should be a nice run, and I can try the new satnav kit out at the same time!

I hope you get your bike on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
And fingers crossed it is not too wet or cold for a trip to Hilltop for brekkie.

Liz
05-11-2010, 09:59 PM

Should be a good run if the weather's fine! Fingers crossed for all of us who still want to get our bikes out before 'winter'!

bex
06-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Where did you buy? Hope wasnt Damiano had an off? He's a nice chap.

Enjoy the bike when you get it, nice choice :)

Done the run over for a Hampshire brekkie a couple of time... worth it, for the bacon that is, not the 'orrible hampsters. ;)

uksurfer
06-11-2010, 10:03 AM
worth it, for the bacon that is, not the 'orrible hampsters. ;)

at least you won't be coming along any more then! :biggrin:

bex
06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Hahahahaha try and stop me.

I love being adopted really :biggrin:

chris yeatman
06-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Done the run over for a Hampshire brekkie a couple of time... worth it, for the bacon that is, not the 'orrible hampsters. ;)

glad that doesnt point to me, im from wiltshire.

welcome to the club btw

Nick_M
07-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Where did you buy? Hope wasnt Damiano had an off? He's a nice chap.

Enjoy the bike when you get it, nice choice :)

Yeah, it was Damiano, and hopefully he will be back at work this Monday as reported by his colleagues, and not too sore!

I would concur that appears to be a nice chap, but I have to say the whole buying experience has been a total PIA. Having spent about £10K on the bike/extras/helmets/etc. I am just amazed at their total lack of intrest in actually getting the money and giving me the goods.

Whilst Damiano is very affable, passionate about Ducati, and very enthusiastic, the reality seems to be that he (or maybe the organisation behind him) are not as efficient as the enthusiasm leads you to believe, with the result that the whole experience becomes hugely frustrating, very agitating, and generally dissapointing.

I realise that I have not bought a Desmosedici, but then again I have not bought a scooter either, and surely 10K is a not unreasonable sum to spend on a second bike?

Actually this reminds me that last year I originally went there looking to purchase a Streetfighter, and having been totally ignored and then fobbed off by the sales staff I went somewhere else and bought a new crossplane crank R1. At that time I vowed I would not go back there, but 14 months later here I am giving them a second chance and all they have done is reaffirm my original experience.

I called again on Saturday (from Spain) to see if they had sorted out the payment from the finance company only to find that NO, once again the paperwork they had submitted was still wrong, and that they need Damiano to unravel it for them. Since he may or may not be back at work Monday (injuries permitting), I can only see this dragging on and on.

I fly back on Monday morning, and I can see a Monday afternoon visit to the dealer which possibly could get very loud.

bex
08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Agreed not a fan of the shop, but liked Damiano well enough.

J.P
08-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I've had dealings with Metropolis a few times, twice for Ducati Monsters and a Triumph Sprint.
Being a nice salesman doesn't make them a nice dealership to deal with, being appologetic and always blaming the process or someone else's paperwork is rubbish when you are spending a lot of money one a new bike. All they really want is to sell you a bike, get you out the door and move on to the next guy. Don't expect anything else.
Don't expect any help after you've bought the bike either, the servicing there is terrible, expensive at £90 an hour, and you never feel like they're really looking after you. If you can get it serviced somewhere else, but if you're like me, nearer to the garage than any other dealer, you're sort of stuffed.
Though DAYTONA in King's Cross are always nice and helpful when I've used them and that's not too far away, otherwise you're out to Protwins in Surrey.

bex
08-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Yep agree not a nice dealership in general... was just hoping Damiano was alright, was good to me before and after sales when I bought there.

Had my fair share of problems with other departments in there.

Lucati
08-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Damiano is a nice guy, service and parts department are rude and useless.
When you finally get your bike don't take it back there for servicing and absolutely forget any idea of popping in with things that need quick attention - generally a 2 - 3 week wait to get your bike looked at.
Any suggestions on where to buy my next Monster gladly received!

Oh, and welcome!

Gordon H
08-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Any suggestions on where to buy my next Monster gladly received!

Oh, and welcome!

Moto Rapido in Winchester or Snells in Alton......... never had any negative issues with either dealer.

Nick_M
09-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Well I finally managed to pick it up yesterday, although it still took nearly two hours in-store to get the paperwork finalised and the bike out the door.

Oh and I haven't been given my warranty book as it needs to be signed off by a Ducati authorised person and as neither of them was in on Monday it will have to be done later and I will need to return to collect it.

Bike was eventually handed over to me by the mechanic, as there was noone else familiar enough with the bike to show me over it.

My local Ducati independent who I have known for 20 years recommends I take it to Protwins in Godstone for warranty servicing and then he will take over after the warranty period has expired.

Seems from the above posts that they are a good bet (?).

So, weather permitting, looks like I will be able to do the brekkie run after all. :)

scrapps
09-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Glad you have now got your bike..... I hope a few rides out will calm your anger from all the delays and messing around.:hissy:

Have fun and ride safe :biggrin:

Nick_M
09-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Glad you have now got your bike..... I hope a few rides out will calm your anger from all the delays and messing around.:hissy:

Have fun and ride safe :biggrin:

Well I am still not happy with the dealer, but the bike............... well I drove it 4 miles home and didnt stop grinning about it until I went to sleep!!:biggrin:

Just love those Termis (baffles are out already)

Easily excited us blokes :spin:

JerryT
09-11-2010, 06:42 PM
What a relief to hear you now have it!

Mine is at Moto Rapido for its first service. So far so good. I would certainly recommend them.

Do post some pics when you get a chance!!!!!! :biggrin: