PDA

View Full Version : Paint scheme theft.

utopia
25-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm in a bit of a quandry.
From day one I've been planning to change the paint on my M750. It currently sports a GSE racing Bayliss tribute scheme by Dream Machine, and really looks rather nice, but the bright orange is a bit brash for me.
This is my first Ducati, I've had it 4yrs and I'm NEVER going to part with it.
I've always fancied a tricolore scheme, and have come up with a number of possible designs. A recurring theme has been an Ago rep type scheme, particlarly since my frame and wheels are already gold.
Then I saw a post by Hellcat a few months ago about single seats, which included a pic of possibly the most beautiful motorcycle I have ever seen....a tricolore of exquisite simplicity, no paint anywhere much, other than tricolore tank and red frame. Apparently this bike was spotted at the Belgium MOB gathering, maybe last year...?
Now, the last thing I want to do is nick somebodies original design, at least not without permission to scupper their originality. Then again, I suppose mimicry would perhaps be the ultimate flattery, and many other features on my bike would be different, eg gold frame & wheels, double sided swinger. high level cans, belly pan, dual seat with cowl, screen etc.
I've considered changing the tank paint slightly, possibly maroon or brown instead of the red, but after months of pondering I still can't get that original tricolore out of my head.
So, does anyone know the owner of this machine and can they put me in touch so I can ask permission ?
Failing that, what's the concensus on paint scheme theft ( done with humility, and for a very good cause) ?

rac3r
25-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't think they would mind especially if they are in a different country. As you said the wheels and frame are different too

slipperyweeguy
25-10-2010, 04:05 PM
... I suppose mimicry would perhaps be the ultimate flattery, ...

As someone who used to make a living as a designer and illustrator, I always found getting paid to be much more flattering. It's your bike - paint it how you like.

He11cat
25-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Thats my fav bike!!!!
I so love that bike !!
Would so have loved to have a beer and a chat with the owner and go through it with him.

But not with that paint scheme I had planned to single seat mine it was perfect as I need a rack of some kinds as in the summer I tend to camp or go off places and I hate stuff on my back.

I have my seat sitting here and tubular to do the job ..have the guy to do the job as well..
I like stubbies I have ridden and owned stubbies of kinds so wanted to do a similar thing to the monster .
Its wether loaded up I could get my leg over (dam I hate being short ass). I need to try and see.
Also look my suspension first.

At the mo due to circumstances all on hold ...
But I have the stuff I need and the people to do it ... just when ..

I prob won't do the swing arm I like that alot .. but don't want to rip a bike off totally.
I wanted to do a take on the back end he has.

Just sold my stubby Yam .. was impractical for travel ... frame hacked 10 inches shorter then standard bike couldn't carry any thing on tail and I had a single seat conversion on him as well.

I need a look with the ability to carry a tent and bag!! .. but still so I can swing my leg over the bike ..

uksurfer
25-10-2010, 04:22 PM
pictures?
(please)

utopia
25-10-2010, 04:36 PM
pictures?
(please)
Sorry for lack of pics....computer virgin....don't know how.
Anyone...?

He11cat
25-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Of the little Tricolor bike???
I have one here but need to scan it ..
If it can't be found I can scan it in tomorrow as going out tonight woohoo.
It will be on the 2009 Belgium thread :)

I can give a photo of a pile of bits :) I have a collection of stuff!! ...

He11cat
25-10-2010, 04:44 PM
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq3/helsinkvampire/bikes/belg.jpg

Thats the bike .. had a copy elsewhere in my fav things stash.

slob
25-10-2010, 04:48 PM
It's Dutch.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showpost.php?p=324786&postcount=110

I will see if I can find out who the owner is but any tricolore paintjob on a Ducati tank is unlikely to be absolutely unique isn't it?

Paranoid Dave
25-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Am I blind? I was looking forward to seeing this bike because of the description, right up to the point I saw it.... It's very 80's looking.

The bike and work is all great, the swinger and stuff, but i'd just rip off the tank and do it in a classier red and green with a stylish Ducati badge.

It's always best to be unique.

utopia
25-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Thats the one...Absolute pure naked Italian motorcycle sex, nothing more, nothing less.
Might have known it was Dutch.
If I was picky, I'd need a dual seat and a wet clutch.
Actually, no I wouldn't. I'd have to have another bike for that.
I've got a better pic as my laptop wallpaper...I'll post it later.
Didn't realise the swinging arm was a double sider...like it even more now.

He11cat
25-10-2010, 05:32 PM
very 80's .... just like my haircut !!!!

I think its well thought out and executed ...
I think its a great bike.

I was more interested in its rear...
I do like single seats and kind of miss my old stubby bike . but one of the reasons I let it go was I couldn't carry anything at all.

I think cracking as soon as I saw it I grinned from ear to ear...as it kind of matched the stuff going around in my very pea sized brain :)

utopia
25-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah. I might even say 70s looking. Its the image thats been in my head since then, anyway.
There's no accounting for tastes though. :-)

He11cat
25-10-2010, 05:40 PM
im padlocking myself to it ... !!...

Its just missing one vital component ... its needs a little bit of ACF50 on it :)

utopia
25-10-2010, 05:40 PM
And, er.....just like MY haircut.
Though "cut" is hardly the word.

And would be very grateful for contact details Rob. Thanks.

He11cat
25-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Mullet?????? lol!!!!...... (I can talk)

Are you looking to do something with the frame and swing arm ???
Or just the paint ??

utopia
25-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Not mullet, just no scissors this millenium.

On the day I bought the bike I decided that the gold frame and wheels were fine and I always planned to leave them alone. Battery acid has stained the left side though. Not much and I could touch it up, but I could also see myself having it done black though, once I see the other paint in the flesh. I wont chop the frame though, cos I like to be able to carry a pillion or luggage. Been hankering after a tubular swingarm for a while, since seeing a post on here a couple of months ago .....I'll post that pic later too. Actually, I prefer the one on the Dutch bike though, now I know its a double sider...single siders look cool but offend my sense of engineering sensibility. I might just spray my silver, boxy steel swingarm gold though, cos the other options offend my sense of maximum return from minimal expenditure.

And Dave, I do rather like your new paint, as far as I can see just yet. Spangly purple frame with er....that colour of wheels is, and probably always will be, undescribably unique. When you gonna take off the wraps ?

utopia
25-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Actually.....or is it a single sider after all. I think it is, and a std one at that. Scuse my ignorance.

slob
25-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Not a single sider, it has a curved r/h side to allow clearance for the silencer

utopia
25-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Here's an attempt at posting pics. Dunno if it'll work.

C:\users\jeff\my pictures\tricolore monster.jpg
C:\users\jeff\my pictures\trelswingarmbike.jpg

Blah blah
25-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Here's a tank that I'd love to replicate, don't know what it's off but I'm not painting my blue one, so I'll just have to buy a project :mand:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f142/AKJRAY/Bike%20show/P1250051.jpg

Paranoid Dave
25-10-2010, 07:50 PM
And Dave, I do rather like your new paint, as far as I can see just yet. Spangly purple frame with er....that colour of wheels is, and probably always will be, undescribably unique. When you gonna take off the wraps ?

Next year when it finally gets the last couple of parts fitted and i make sure it's together right. Frame's burnt amber with flecks that are green or red depending on angle. Wheels are metallic mustard/orange/gold. Body is, well, it has several colours. But I like your style as it's actually a tricolore in disguise. :D

Paranoid Dave
25-10-2010, 07:50 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f142/AKJRAY/Bike%20show/P1250051.jpg

Now that's retro in a really good way.

Char
25-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Fancy this without the corse badge - would match my helmet
http://www.store.commoto.com/ducati-store-monster-bodywork-ducati-monster-corse-airbrushed-tank-p-314.html

animaluk
25-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Am I blind? I was looking forward to seeing this bike because of the description, right up to the point I saw it.... It's very 80's looking.

The bike and work is all great, the swinger and stuff, but i'd just rip off the tank and do it in a classier red and green with a stylish Ducati badge.

It's always best to be unique.

If its 80's looking Hellcat will like

He11cat
25-10-2010, 10:57 PM
@ utopia the other tubular swing arm going about is mega bucks I think!!!
I have access to tubular and a pipe bender lucky for me.
But sadly at the mo got to stop till I know what way life will turn.
But I have some bits..
If I found a very good job .. A cheap doner bike may be an option as a long term project just a case of fate now but I have a clear idea in my brain

I'm joking about mullets if anything mines well iffy Mullety hair lol!
If you have long hair good for you!!!
Long hair rocks :)
@ sadly animal I am an 80 s reject however I don't like the ruddy HUman League DEpeche Mode or kajableedin go go bleugh ..

He11cat
25-10-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm sure the picture of the tubular swing arm that was knocking around on here was also a single sided one .. Please let me recall something of use for once!

slob
27-10-2010, 12:26 PM
...would be very grateful for contact details Rob...

PM sent re contact details

Bodybag
27-10-2010, 11:00 PM
COuld I suggest that if yours is a genuine GSE rep, you buy another tank and coling rather than destroy what you already have. There are second hand tanks kicking about all over the place.

You can then keep that tank etc. or even sell it on as a rarity, rather than have it disappear altogether?!

utopia
28-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Bodybag, you read my mind. Thats exactly what I plan to do. The plan is to replace the orange bellypan, seat cowl and front mudguard with carbon, then get another tank to spray up, so's I can keep all the original stuff (which I have to say is actually pretty damn nice) ....at least until I've seen what the new stuff looks like in the flesh. Ok, it means I have to fork out for the carbon, but its carbon on the cheap really, cos I'll save loads by only needing to have the tank sprayed. Also, with just one item to spray, its less dauntimg as a first time diy spray job, so I reckon thats what I'll do...spend the cash on a compressor and spray gun and do it myself,..../.just the tank...easy peasy...!
So, in a few months time, if anyone fancies a full, Dream Machine, Bayliss GSE rep monster paint job, I might just have one for sale. Then again, as I've said before, this bike is a definite keeper so I might hang on to both sets of livery.
Btw, most of the carbon is coming from Rac3r, and I can vouch for the quality of his stuff.
Anyone got a carby tank hanging around in the shed...? (to fit a 2000 M750)
Also....it takes a lot longer to get up north.....the slow way.........sorry, Ian Dury moment..I mean't to say...
Also....Its gratifying to note that none of you have come back with criticisms of my proposed colour scheme theft...I'll take that as a positive, but Slob has provided me with contact details of the owner of the machine of my infatuation anyway (ta) so I can ask permission.
The way things are looking with the carbon so far, I think I might go for the same layout in green, white and black, with just a red pinstripe somewhere and some minimal tricolore graphics over the carbon.
So how addictive is tweaking yer monster.....!!!!..?

slipperyweeguy
28-10-2010, 09:33 AM
...some minimal tricolore graphics over the carbon.

Like this?

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j430/paintguru/ducati/carbtail002.jpg

But not this?

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j430/paintguru/ducati/ducmonpwtail01.jpg

Best of luck with the painting. Preparation is everything.

utopia
28-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Kinda like that, but more minimal. Very little colour anywhere at all, other than the tank.