PDA

View Full Version : I want...

Blah blah
23-10-2010, 06:54 PM
a new career...

I'm currently going through my 4th redundancy is as many years and I'm fed up of trying to find yet another new job....:thumbsdown:

Any ideas ??

ps Why is there an advert for a tail chop on the top of the page??? Don't they know unchopped is best????? :mand:

rac3r
23-10-2010, 07:29 PM
The answer is in the ad :chuckle:

He11cat
23-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Poor you :(
I understand ... what do you do?
Im in Education..
We where told 6 weeks back there would be cuts.
Ive never been made redundant or laid off!

Just as I left for home for half term break got handed my letter along with a bunch of us asking if we would consider voluntary redundancy.
If people don't (and people are not) then the axe falls :(
Ill know more when I go back.
I am waiting for total redundancy and not taking voluntary.

I have a very weird job and there is not another one like it.
I make things all day long and design stuff on educational software that nobody really uses much its a real consuming job and for me to have to do a brain numbing job would be hell..

The staff I work with said they don't know how I do it.. its kind of Blue Peter stuff!!
But il do anything to keep a roof over my head.
Ive done all kinds of jobs when younger... but I love oddball jobs .. I like creative jobs..
Or working with challenging people..

Ive had chairs thrown at me.. lock downs .. tree trunks through the window when I am working (none of these where meant for me btw! but the teachers!).
I had to get a child to hand over the fork he was stabbing his face with in a calm manor and I did.
Nothing freaks me ... ive seen alot lol!
But at the same time I can make stuff... so I have to have a challenging job :(

Im like please give me a break... 13 year relationship ended , home gone, and now job..
Just got back on my feet and ... grrr
One door shuts another opens I guess... but I am sure confused as to what I will do.

I hope you find something I am scared stiff .. but Im not going down without a struggle :)

gregski
23-10-2010, 09:40 PM
reed this maybe that will put you in a right direction

http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/articles/2009/12/28/the-50-best-careers-of-2010.html

last option Po*n hehehe

Good luck

Nonnie
23-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I think there are so many cuts and redundancies right now, I'd be keeping all my options open. Look at retraining in something you like or getting better qualified by studying in your own time.

Or do like me and have 2 jobs! Could this entire thing be my fault? Like, I've taken all the jobs??? Sorry 'n' all but I must keep in the style to which I have become accustomed.

He11cat
23-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Mines on the list Special Education... and we are all getting laid off .. our schools are being merged as well all over the place :( not a good place to be in at the mo!! budgets getting slashed as well.

I know that feeling 4 years ago I had 6 part time jobs and was working 7 days a week some hours of each day kept it up for 2/3 years .. it was mental and I got taxed like mad.. I was doing about 60 hours.

Multiple bar jobs , school work , sales , and even office cleaning some nights..
Boy was I glad to get down to 3 .. then after near burning out I quit bar work and upped my school hours !
I miss the extra income like mad but .. I had no life at all couldn't go anywhere as always had to watch when the next shift was...
Im not afraid to work.. but now I need to balance life and work and I had it really sorted at last!! :)

Its great to work weekdays again .. I really would be gutted to have to go back to weekends again :(
This day and age it seems likely I will be working weekends .. :(

Bodybag
23-10-2010, 11:37 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I'm now 38 and was laid off at the beginning of 2008. I haven't worked since, except a couple of occasional jobs.

Reason?

Being laid off was the kick up the arse I needed to retrain. I did a year at college on an "Access to Engineering" course and I'm now in my 2nd year of University studying for a degree in Motorsport and Motorcycle Engineering. I've never been happier, although its hard work and difficult to make the budget stretch. But... It will lead to bigger and better things. :D

Blah blah
24-10-2010, 04:09 PM
a degree in Motorsport and Motorcycle Engineering....

That sounds like fun...

I've been thinking about a complete change of career for some time now, (20 odd years looking after engineering aspects of large housebuilders an' I'm a bit fed up) and this may be the kick I need, trouble is, I don't know what to do :banghead:

I suppose the problem is that everyone else will be looking for another job soon, so better do something quick

popelli
24-10-2010, 05:16 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I'm now 38 and was laid off at the beginning of 2008. I haven't worked since, except a couple of occasional jobs.

Join the club, I got made redundant 5 years ago, still can't get a permanent job

Have been doing contract work in the interim, no problem with interim work but impossible to get a permanent job

reason - too old

Employers would rather employ somebody 15 years younger with less experience and pay them £10k more than I am looking for

total bloody joke the employment market

He11cat
24-10-2010, 06:45 PM
When I came out of college the first couple of interviews I had said I was overqualified.
Also most of my qualifications are in art.
I have been told to go finish my art degree but I can,t afford to!!
And the cost of the materials you need is mental was years ago!

I always wanted to be an art teacher I kick myself now for not doing that and taking a job in design instead!!
Teaching jobs are hard to come by now up here.
I have qualifications to train but no savings to fall back on while I train.
I'm 38 waiting to be told I'm too old!!

Char
24-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Have been told not allowed to social network any comments about either of my two jobs & have contracts with those clauses, best update my profile. been working two jobs for over 10 years .... the joys of being a single mum who doesnt claim social

Bodybag
24-10-2010, 07:36 PM
That sounds like fun...

I've been thinking about a complete change of career for some time now, (20 odd years looking after engineering aspects of large housebuilders an' I'm a bit fed up) and this may be the kick I need, trouble is, I don't know what to do :banghead:

I suppose the problem is that everyone else will be looking for another job soon, so better do something quick

I'm not suggesting you drop everything and go back to school but...

Look at the UCAS website at the huge list of courses available (both Full and Part Time). It might give you an idea of what you want to do with yourself (and whether you even need to go back to school to do it)?!

He11cat
24-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Char join the club:( apparently for the last 3 years I could have claimed alot .. I haven't .. And am broke .. However I will when laid off as have no bloody choice :(
I chose to work cause I could then get work easy as I like working:)
worked since wAs allowed to at 13 and never stopped! I've had two weeks without work in my working life since the 80s .. Not had a holiday for years now either:(

so totally understand how you feel..
Some one got told no social network talk at our work as well.. But to be honest I've not been told can't!! We all feel cheated and hacked off and I shall say so as well !!!!!

Fugly
25-10-2010, 03:52 PM
I know where you are coming from Blah, Blah.In 2008 when the crisis hit I, along with 24 others were victims of our American owners wanting to cut costs and keep the shareholders happy.

In nearly 30 years on continuous employment I went through all the emotions possible, then the wife decided she wanted a different life and well life was just peachy.

I took a gamble on a 10 month contract I was offered by a German company which turned into my business, I am now relocated out there and loving every minute of it, I'm working harder than I've ever worked in my life and earning half what I was earing but I have never been happier and once things are stable and there's some cash in the bank I've promised myself a two wheeled treat.

Keep your chin up and an eye open for opportunities that may appear.

Fugly

Jungle24
25-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey guys, I am in recruitment and now is not the time for changing careers. Stick to what you know for now, save some money and then plan what you want to do in the future and then go for it in better times. As for being old its a myth. I would much rather place an experienced capable worker than some jumped up little so and so who feels the worlds owes them a favor. Its easy to think the world is against you but not so. The so called youth of today is no match for us as we have the values that the kids of today dont have. We show up for work and CARE! This cant be said of todays young uns in my opinion! God Im only 33 and listen to me lol!!!

Blah blah
25-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Hey guys, I am in recruitment and now is not the time for changing careers...

I don't really have a choice as someone paid much much more than me decided our office should be "scaled down". For some reason they get quite upset if you say that the office is being closed, but as the staffing profile is being "scaled down" until there's absolutely no one left in the building, and the lights are off and the doors locked it is being 'closed' surely??? But what do I know, which is probably why I'm having to leave and they aren't

I'm not suggesting you drop everything and go back to school but...

Look at the UCAS website at the huge list of courses available (both Full and Part Time). It might give you an idea of what you want to do with yourself (and whether you even need to go back to school to do it)?!

After your post the other night I looked at what my local college offers... they do (amongst other things) a degree in Motorsport, with 6 months woking for an actual team, so plenty to think about, just need something to pay the bills and a part time course...

popelli
25-10-2010, 08:14 PM
As for being old its a myth. I would much rather place an experienced capable worker than some jumped up little so and so who feels the worlds owes them a favor. Its easy to think the world is against you but not so. The so called youth of today is no match for us as we have the values that the kids of today dont have. We show up for work and CARE! This cant be said of todays young uns in my opinion! God Im only 33 and listen to me lol!!!

maybe you could move to nottingham / leicester desparate shortage of professional recruitment agencies up here

33 is still young, wait until you hit 50 and watch the doors and opportunities close on you

saying that current contract employer is negotiating with me for permanent placement and is talking proper £££ for a change

Blah blah
02-12-2010, 07:41 PM
As it's still all up in the air at the moment, and thinking about what Bodybag said earlier, I've decided to look into doing something educational wise...

As because I wanted to do 'law' when I was at school but I never got past 'O' levels (remember them?) I'm looking at an Open University course because I can use it to see if I can remember how to study, and want to take it further... any one done one recently ?

utopia
02-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Don't underestimate your capabilities.
I'd say,at least consider jumping in deeper if circumstances allow. Why linger in the shallows ?
I did a part-time degree in my late 30s (wolves poly.) and the view amongst OU students seemed to be that it required a lot of discipline to do it on your own without the day to day attendance of a regular degree course.
Maybe you're the disciplined type though.
In those days a mature student was welcomed with open arms and entrance qualifications were much reduced, but that was mid 1990s so things may have changed.