PDA

View Full Version : Monster 696 Fender Extender NOW AVAILABLE!

Banus
19-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Hi all,

Some of you will probably be aware that since Feb 2009 I've been on a crusade trying to source a fender extender for my 696. Well I've had a big problem cos no one made one - simples!

Well from today that's all changed. Pyramid Plastics have just finished designing one and have it in production. It will be available end of Nov / Dec priced at £16.99 A cheap price to pay to save your paint and electrics.

The good news is that it will also fit the M1100 and 796.

Part No is 055040 and Pyrmaids number is 01427 810473 - ask for Dave.

Hope this is of interest........

JerryT
19-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Yep, I could be interested in this... would want to see it first tho'...

Well done for finding it! :thumbsup:

lisyloo
21-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks for putting up the details :)

mit
21-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Got any pics? :)

Banus
21-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Sorry it's so new they haven't got that far. I phoned litterally the day the development had just been completed and it was not yet in production. I placed an order there and then and paid. Now what am I gonna look for?

To answer your question - for £16.99 its probably just going to look like a standard fender extender - but who cares its there to do a job.

lisyloo
10-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Rang very recently.
These are expected in during January.

Banus
29-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the update Lisy,

As Pyramid have my card details and nothing has yet appeared through my post box I thought I'd give them a gentle nudge. Got the same response, due January - ish. No probs.

Oh yeah - just out of interest, I was chatting with the guys across the pond and if an extender doesn't offer enough protection to your starter motor / front cylinder paint / electrics etc etc a front fender from a 695 / S2R and a S4 fit the 696 without any modifications.

stopintime
29-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the update Lisy,

As Pyramid have my card details and nothing has yet appeared through my post box I thought I'd give them a gentle nudge. Got the same response, due January - ish.

Oh yeah - just out of interest, I was chatting with the guys across the pond and if an extender doesn't offer enough protection to your starter motor / front cylinder paint / electrics etc etc a front fender from a 695 / S2R and a S4 fit the 696 without any modifications.

... and they already have an ExtendaFenda for that type of fender.

(I bought one, but couldn't get myself to drill the required holes in my fender. It's also a bit wider than the fender and would have to be trimmed down to look ok'ish. Now it's too late - my engine is dirty and can't be saved by the ExtendaFenda)

mbk
18-01-2011, 12:18 PM
hi can you post a picture when you get it,as i was thinking of getting something for my 696
thanks
mark

lisyloo
24-01-2011, 12:15 PM
This is now in stock. I will take a photo when I get mine.
Cost with postage £19.91

Banus
24-01-2011, 05:52 PM
The long wait is over - and the paint on your front cylinder and starter motor (if you have any left) is now safe!

kippax_ffl
24-01-2011, 08:25 PM
The long wait is over - and the paint on your front cylinder and starter motor (if you have any left) is now safe!

Looks good. Is it easy to fit?

Albie
24-01-2011, 08:43 PM

I like that . Looks ok so Im getting one of them as the shotblasting has started on the inspection valve covers.

SunEye
27-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Just ordered mine. The part still isn't on the Pyramid Plastics website, but if you phone or e-mail you can order it. They have some in stock so delivery should be quick.

I don't intend to screw it to my front mudguard. It'll be stuck on using some form of slightly flexible adhesive (that's how I attached the one on my Kawasaki and that has stayed on for 36,000 miles). I may even paint it gloss black to match the mudguard. Partly because I want to practice my spray painting before I tackle the parts of my Kawasaki that need it.

mbk
06-02-2011, 04:42 PM
thanks banus just fitted one to my 696,i ordered one off there website quoting the part number in the thread, it arrived after a couple of days,took 5 minutes to fit all you need is a 3mm drill bit:shocked:

Albie
06-02-2011, 05:07 PM
I just remembered and ordered 1 for mine. Its on the site with the number there now.

Albie
09-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Would just like to say a big thanks for this thread and the extenda arrived today in 2 days and is now fitted. Not only does it look good it fits and does a job too. It actually loks like what the mudguard length should be. I know there are styling details but tbh it doesnt work on a monster. I went down the road of a 916 front guard on my s4 and it was cr4p in the weather.

Thanks for the heads up and I do want to let others know these are good investment and NO i never screwed it on. I used the double sided tape and some no more nails for extra guarantee.

JerryT
09-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I think you might have just sold it to me Albie.

Now if only they did one in carbon...

johny1100
09-02-2011, 03:02 PM
After such good reviews, I've just ordered one too!

Albie
09-02-2011, 03:11 PM
I think you might have just sold it to me Albie.

Now if only they did one in carbon...

I wish too but to be honest it looks good in black and a good contrast. Maybe I could have too much carbon :eek:Did I say that:mand: No you can never have enough.

After such good reviews, I've just ordered one too!

When you have a new bike any protection from flying stones and weather on to the engine is good. 5 minute job too.

JerryT
09-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Well, as I haven't got any other carbon bits (yet!) I have ordered one, to save further grit -blasting of the front of the engine...

but if anyone hears of a carbon one let me know... :thumbsup:

Banus
12-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Blimey - glad to hear everyones happy and I'll have to upgrade my avatar picture! I had one on my Suzuki SV650S which looked like new underneath even though it was a 4 yr old bike.

As soon as I took delivery of my 696 I looked for one everywhere even in the USA but as it was such a new model obviously no one made one. I kept banging on at Pyramid until they finally gave in to pressure!

I agree it doesn't look out of place and is a sensible length to be effective. I can't wait to get out in the rain!!

JerryT
12-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Well done for getting it organised! good job. :mand:

rogermunro
16-02-2011, 06:15 PM
looks not long enough does it actualy work in keeping crap of ?

Banus
17-02-2011, 04:50 PM
If it was any longer it would be scraping the ground:chuckle: When I ordered it I was concerned that it wouldn't be long enough to be effective but on inspection I was impressed as to how long it was. If it was any longer I think it would look stupid and OTT. To be honest can't think of any that I have seen that are longer. Haven't been out in bad conditions yet so can't really comment if it will keep the debris off the bike.

rogermunro
17-02-2011, 06:36 PM
cheers let me know when you been out thanks

Tony1100
01-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Mine's just arrived. I don't fancy screwing it on, so has anyone glued it on? If so, what glue did you use?

Thanks

Albie
01-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Mine's just arrived. I don't fancy screwing it on, so has anyone glued it on? If so, what glue did you use?

Thanks

I used No More Nails. And the sticky pads that were on it. Clean the area first and dry. Cant say if it will stay on as not ridden yet but its stuck well on and tugs at the carbon mudguard when moved.

JerryT
01-03-2011, 08:28 PM
I used No More Nails. And the sticky pads that were on it. Clean the area first and dry. Cant say if it will stay on as not ridden yet but its stuck well on and tugs at the carbon mudguard when moved.

Mine has been on for a couple of weeks now. It's held on with self-adhesive foam pads (sold for fixing number plates) as well as the original adhesive tape which I re-positioned and has survived some really testing weather conditions so far. It does make a difference to how much muck is thrown up but it depends what you are hoping for...

It WILL stop the grit from being aimed up at the steering tube and bearings and the items behind the mesh grill under the frame.

It WON'T stop the front of the engine cylinder from getting blasted or the starter motor or the oil filter. They are all still in the firing line. It's easy to work out the direction - the crap will come off the wheel tangentially as it rotates, so a radial line from the centre of the wheel to the edge of the guard will then have a line at right angles to it which will be the direction of spray from that point. It goes a lot higher up than you might think. Forget about any ideas that the wind will blow it backwards or down - that just doesn't happen because the crap is moving too fast.

Anyway, I have faith the foam tape is going to hold as it is a resilient bond not liable to crack in cold temperatures. I took the mudguard off the bike to really clean it thoroughly with the alcohol wipe supplied with the fixing pads. Poor surface preparation will ruin a glue bond. I have some neat little alloy rivets to use in reserve, which although perhaps not as pretty will certainly be very secure if needed and will at least match the rivets holding the bikini fairing plexi screen.

Now for some photos...

JerryT
01-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Further to the above, I should add that I used enough foam tape to almost completely cover the mating surfaces of the guard and the fender extenda - maximum bond area.

I did about 100 miles over the weekend in pretty awful conditions (see the attached photo below taken on the road to Stockbridge on Sunday) and it still seems to be very well attached.

I'm happy with it so far. :thumbsup:

Banus
02-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Jenny,
Thanks for your very scientific report on what the fender extender will and will not do. I completely concur with your findings! Spot on.
I thought about just using adhesive to secure the extender to the fender but the pads supplied didn't really looked upto the job as it takes a right old beating down there so after much deliberation I decided to use 3 of the small self tappers and I'm glad I did as the other day I looked down below to see if it was still there and noticed that it was taking quite a beffeting from the oncoming wind. The whole of the fender was bellowing and shaking quite violently . Now I don't know if this 'sail' effect is due to the extender or if it was like it before - very looked.

JerryT
02-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Ahem, I'm only Jenny at the weekends, but don't tell anyone! :look:
Now where are my fishnets? :chuckle:

Banus
02-03-2011, 05:32 PM
FFS! Sorry mate! Couldn't be bothered to find my specs!

Should have gone to Specsavers!

Tony1100
03-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks Jerry (or is it Jenny?)

Sounds like a little job for the weekend, before I go a try a Diavel...

andanotherthing
10-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I've glued mine on with no more nails....I'll let you all know if it falls off :rolleyes:

andanotherthing
19-03-2011, 12:20 PM
After approx 400 miles it's has started to come away from the mudguard at the edges so have now used three self tapers to secure it...thought it would look odd but doesn't look to bad after all!

kippax_ffl
19-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I've glued mine on with no more nails....I'll let you all know if it falls off :rolleyes:

I've fitted mine using 'No More Nails Permanent Strips'.

The supplied stickies looked woefully inadequate.

Hope these hold up, I've been out once in the rain but nothing too demanding yet.

Dinkybiker
15-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Just ordered myself a fender extender, how's everyone's holding up?
Looks like self tapping screws might be the way forward for fixing, anyone have any other suggestions for fixing?

SunEye
15-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I have one on my Kawasaki ZRX1200R. I stuck it on with a flexible plastics adhesive (Evo-Stik or the like). It has stayed firmly attached for 10 years and 36,000 miles.

The one for my M1100 is also fine, although to be honest it's not been attached to the front mudguard yet ;) Once it is attached I plan to fill the join and repaint the mudguard so it looks like one piece from the outside.

neilo
16-02-2012, 07:29 AM
I've always used Sikaflex 221 to secure my fender extenders...and it has never let me down. I hate the thought of drilling a hole in the mudguard.