PDA

View Full Version : are termi's road legal

electech7
18-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Can any body tell me if stainless termi's are road legal ? My dealer has told me that i can only fit termi's without invalidating ducati warrenty but bike may not pass MOT with them fitted ? How does that make any sense :confused:

rollo22
18-10-2010, 04:58 PM
The cans MUST NOT HAVE anything on them that implies not for road us
Mine have the homogulation(cant spell) markings on the stainless band and need DB killers to make them legal.never used them for an MOT yet
Any Ducati dealer should have a friendly MOT station to bypass this problem.From memory the law is that they must not be excessively noisy in the the opinion of the tester.
Hope this helps

walpole68
18-10-2010, 05:09 PM
the titanium cans are road legal but the carbon ones and stainless steel ones are marked not for road use.How ever we all run round with carbon ones on,if you leave the db killers in they are as quiet as standard pipes but look nicer,weigh a lot less and dont get as hot.Some dealers will pass mots if you prove you still have the standard pipes or it only takes 30 minutes to swap back for one day of the year.I ran both my 696 and 1100S with carbon termis and baffles out,when needed you can still be quietish, but if your going full throttle with no baffles near a police car expect a tug ! be sensible you will be fine.After all Harleys are much louder and never get pulled over !

granite785
18-10-2010, 05:18 PM
I have carbon ones and they went through last years MOT fine. I did have my baffles in my bag just in case, but I've never noticed the not for road use on them. Might depend which ones you have

rac3r
18-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Titanium ones say 'For race use only' on them

walpole68
18-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Titanium ones say 'For race use only' on them

No they don't they are eu stamped and still have cats in them,sure your not at the stainless steel ones!

singletrack
18-10-2010, 06:51 PM
No they don't they are eu stamped and still have cats in them,sure your not at the stainless steel ones!
Rac3r's are definitely titanium - I bought them new from a dealer when I had rac3r's bike. They came without baffles. But they are for a 620.

As walpole says, I think the 696 titanium ones are legal though

CK & AK
18-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Can any body tell me if stainless termi's are road legal ? My dealer has told me that i can only fit termi's without invalidating ducati warrenty but bike may not pass MOT with them fitted ? How does that make any sense :confused:

You have the 696 - the only strictly road-legal termi's for THIS bike which are sold by Ducati stores/dealers are the Ti ones.
The carbon & s/steel termi's are NOT road legal - and say so on them. The letter 2 types 'can' fail a roadside test/inspection by her majesty's finest, and will (should) fail an MOT. However you can always take your chance on the road - and also keep your std ones to go back on for an MOT.
One thing to be aware of - you get the 'racing' air filter and ECU with them & the TPS will need checking at best, but most likely will need some minor adjustment. The bike may not run well if you swap back, tho it will still run enough to get to the MOT place adequately.

Hope this helps?

CK :)

Albie
18-10-2010, 07:07 PM
I doubt if any ducati dealer would invalidate a warranty if they supplied and fitted. For a start Termignoni are like part of the Ducati brotherhood. Luckily most of the exhausts have the stamping hidden away but yes is still visible if you know where to look. If you feel you need to cover the markings you can and the police and mot'r is not allowed to remove anything. I never had any problem with mot or police and just be sensible with noise and where you are riding.

rac3r
18-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Mine are Titanium and they do say that but I realised after you were talking about the newer type sorry! :D

SlowLearner
19-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Friendly MOT stations will not usually look for the 'not for road use' engraving.

Even the very noisy Tricolore sailed through the MOT with Termis fitted.

My 696 isn't old enough for an MOT yet but am confident it wont be a problem :-)
( Especially if i trade it in for a Hyper 796 before the MOT is due ;-) )

utopia
20-10-2010, 03:06 AM
As far as noise goes, my mot guy is thorough but friendly. He said he'd have no problem passing my M750 with Ti Termis marked "race use only" and they are straight through. As long as you're gentle on the throttle around town and keep a low profile, you should be fine. Apparently noise measurement is such a technically problematic thing that it has to come down to the judgement of the tester. It's all a bit of a grey area I reckon. I've never been stopped, yet.

CK & AK
20-10-2010, 06:50 AM
If they are stamped 'not for road use' or 'for race use only' then any tester should not pass them (if they want to keep their MOT licence intact. Spot inspections happen on occasions by VOSA).

AK, MOT tester

jimbo696
20-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Fitting another end can does not void your warranty. The dealer may be funny about working on the bike with them on it...Some dealers, such as pro twin recommend and sell other exh such as Leo Vince...

I got a 30 quid fine on the Monster recently!!!!! MOT pass no prob....putting a sticker over the offending words is not enough, bands must be etched or engraved!!

johnsy
20-10-2010, 09:23 AM
A cheap personalised dog tag from a shoe cobblers, rivetted over "not for road use" It used to work wonders

Dukedesmo
20-10-2010, 09:39 AM
A cheap personalised dog tag from a shoe cobblers, rivetted over "not for road use" It used to work wonders

The 'Race use only' stamped into the stainless steel bands is not stamped very deeply, I am reliably informed that if you polish your pipes it can disappear... :rolleyes:

utopia
20-10-2010, 04:56 PM
If they are stamped 'not for road use' or 'for race use only' then any tester should not pass them (if they want to keep their MOT licence intact. Spot inspections happen on occasions by VOSA).

AK, MOT tester
I bow to your superior knowledge then, AK....though in his defence, I think my testers comments were based in part on the notion that a standard silencer could be removed 5mins after the test anyway, so as long as the noisier ones weren't so loud as to be taking the p.ss .......
What's your opinion on removal of the offending lettering?
Or installation of a homemade baffle to take the edge off the noise?
I've asked these questions many times before and always seem to get a different answer.

uksurfer
20-10-2010, 05:34 PM
if i was you i would go round the MOT station prior to the MOT and ask there advice, which will be freely given, i have done this before and as they are the ones MOT'ing it, they would be most able to advise IMHO

johnsy
20-10-2010, 06:37 PM
if i was you i would go round the MOT station prior to the MOT and ask there advice, which will be freely given, i have done this before and as they are the ones MOT'ing it, they would be most able to advise IMHO

Spot on, as the noise test is down to whatever the tester thinks is acceptable, no hard and fast rule, if he doesnt know then :dizzy:

Capo
20-10-2010, 07:33 PM
What's your opinion on removal of the offending lettering?

This can be interpreted as perverting the course of justice.

Saint aka ML
20-10-2010, 08:30 PM

It still does ;)

Bodybag
20-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Take a polishing wheel to the banding strap at the end of the can (if it says something like NOT FOR ROAD USE or RACE ONLY) and rub it out. They're only illegal if they specifically state that they're NOT FOR ROAD USE or RACE ONLY. If they don't say anything then its at the testers discretion but there is no legal noise limit for exhausts. Ironically, you may have trouble at some race tracks though!! :scratch:

As for the comment about fitting the baffles just for the MOT: It will still fail as it will still say NOT FOR ROAD USE on the can!!

cairojay
21-10-2010, 08:29 AM
I dremmelled mine off

lisyloo
21-10-2010, 09:24 AM
My local Ducati dealer implied that they would not insist you put the legal ones back on for the MOT.

jimbo696
25-10-2010, 09:18 AM
If you remove the offending wording, then the the cans are still 'illegal'. They must be stamped or etched with an E or similar mark. Stick on E markings are not 'legal'. I have never had a bike MOT failure due to my cans not being 'legal'!!