PDA

View Full Version : Open airbox turbulence

Saint aka ML
16-10-2010, 08:09 PM
So some of us, if not all of us heard, that a big minus of open airbox on monster is air turbulence. It affects carbed one's more then ie but all are affected.

When I was speaking with mechanic I use for general stuff he suggested a solution.
They had the same problem on race bikes they were racing in Poland and UK.

In short get a mesh material, metal or plastic as long as it is stiff, with holes that are max 1cm in diameter and the frame as thin as possible to limit volume taken.
It needs to be stiff to minimize vibration.
Put it in the airbox deviding it in to 9 smaller squares or atleast 4 but judging by size of monster airbox 6 to 9 is probably best.
What it will do is take minimal amounts of airbox volume but in turn surface will be to small to create significant turbulence as each time it hits certain size it will hit one of the mesh walls.

What do you think of that idea?

Capo
16-10-2010, 09:18 PM
you forgot to take away the number you first thought of

Saint aka ML
17-10-2010, 08:47 AM
you forgot to take away the number you first thought of

What number?

Kato
17-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Whats the answer ???? C'mon give us a clue

Saint aka ML
17-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Whats the answer ???? C'mon give us a clue

Again what you two on about?

johnsy
17-10-2010, 01:01 PM
I've no air box with pod filters on a carbed m900. I've had no running problems on the road or at track days, so tested from tick over to 7.5k revs & stand still to 125+ mph

Dookbob
21-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Johnsy has said it, get rid of the air box

Gamsa
21-10-2010, 07:06 PM
In short get a mesh material. What do you think of that idea?

Surely a K&N filter over the opened airbox does this for you? You're not running an open airbox without an air filter, are you??

rac3r
21-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I found standard lid with the DP filter worked best

Cutter
22-10-2010, 10:07 AM
I was intending to take advice of of Chris kelly at California Cycle works who supplied my 41mm FCRs. He seems to reckon open top airbox with K&N the easiets best way to go....? Anyone running theirs like that?

Dookbob
22-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Surely a K&N filter over the opened airbox does this for you? You're not running an open airbox without an air filter, are you??

NO, just removed the airbox and replaced with a pair of K&N pod filters, apart from the free flow effect and the lovely induction roar, it gives you a lot more room under the tank, and the pods last forever , just wash them now and again.

Spike
22-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I was intending to take advice of of Chris kelly at California Cycle works who supplied my 41mm FCRs. He seems to reckon open top airbox with K&N the easiets best way to go....? Anyone running theirs like that?
Yes I'm running mine like this pulls like a train:flag:

Cutter
22-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Lovely news:biggrin: