PDA

View Full Version : Monster s4 wont start

Tim Linzinger
16-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey guys

Just getting a clicking on start up wont actually kick over. Have replaced the battery with no joy :( any ideas?

Tim Linzinger
16-10-2010, 05:18 PM
PS was getting a metallic ting sound sometime lastweek when i tried to start

analogue_rogue
16-10-2010, 07:16 PM
starter solenoid?

gary tompkins
16-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Mettallic clang might be the starter clutch - they have been known to play up on S4's

analogue_rogue
17-10-2010, 10:03 AM
ooh.. i didnt know that either!

Tim Linzinger
17-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah by the looks of it the starters done. Going to take her apart today see if it can be fixed. Thanks guys :)

Dukedesmo
17-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Sounds like the starter or the starter clutch, try running 12v directly to the starter motor.

Tim Linzinger
17-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Thing is when you knock the starter it attempts to kick over. Think i'm gonna get a garage to look it over as removing the thing looks a bit of a mare. Lol not gonna pretend to be a master with a socket set.

gary tompkins
17-10-2010, 05:44 PM
If it is the sprag clutch on the starter rather than the motor, it should be pretty obvious when stripped out. The clutch tends to chew itself to bits, and you'll be greeted by a lot of swarf and mechanical carnage. Pedro posted some photo's of his one and it looked pretty grim.

Dukedesmo
17-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Thing is when you knock the starter it attempts to kick over. Think i'm gonna get a garage to look it over as removing the thing looks a bit of a mare. Lol not gonna pretend to be a master with a socket set.

You need to take the left-side crankcase cover off to get the starter off as the bolts are only accessible from the inside, at which point you've also got access to the sprag.

Tim Linzinger
17-10-2010, 07:48 PM
CHEERS GUYS!, I take it that means removing the oil filter too?

gary tompkins
17-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Here's Pedro's post about his M1000 sprag, with some useful links and details of another members S4 repair

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=25102&page=2

Dukedesmo
17-10-2010, 08:23 PM
CHEERS GUYS!, I take it that means removing the oil filter too?

Not neccessary, in fact you can do it without draining the oil if you lean the bike over to the right but it's a good time to do an oil change and you'll need to drain the coolant when you remove the cover/water pump - also a good time to check the flywheel nut torque, and to fit a lightweight flywheel if that's something that interests you. ;)

Albie
17-10-2010, 09:34 PM
You could always try to overide the starter relay to prove its duff. Remove the cover and short out the contacts with a spanner or large screwdriver. It will make you jump but will help you find out.

mintyhit
20-10-2010, 10:02 AM
I've got a similar problem.

I've tried everything now, new battery, new earth strap and connecting directly to the positive on the battery and I get very slow turning or none at all.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=39129

Good luck changing your starter, would you mind posting up how it went or perhaps some tips for when I do mine?

Dukedesmo
20-10-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't know what the starter solenoid on an S4 is like but on a 916 (same engine) the solenoid is mounted on the battery box and the small white plug that activates the solenoid connects into the back. The wiring is too short and hard to see and the plug easily gets pulled out, resulting in the solenoid not switching, also the pins can get a bit 'loose' so that the connection is there but not good.

A very simple cure but one that has had many owners strip down starters etc just to find a plug fallen out.