PDA

View Full Version : 749/999 rims in to monster

Saint aka ML
16-10-2010, 09:52 AM
As far as I know some spacing will be required to put T9 rims to monster.

Or does the rim need a bit of work to?

Lets start with rear.

Anyone done this and if so what needs to be done to the rim?
What is the width of stock rim and T9 rim and does the brake calliper allign or does it need spacing as well?

Front:
Will it fit in to forks or again will rim need work or spacing?
How are callipers in relation, will they need spacing or new carrier all together?
If I were to fit 749s front forks in will the go in to monster yokes, the 900ss fully adjustable ones do. As such if they were to fit again any work on rim would be needed?

Kato
16-10-2010, 10:22 AM
The front will go straight into the forks but you'll need to be carefull about the discs as the 749/999 has different offset, the rear needs either the swing arm to be made wider or some machining of the wheel, as making the swingarm wider is a risky business what I did was have a new swinger made to my spec and I use 999R forged wheels

Pomp1
16-10-2010, 10:54 AM
If you have an early monster in order to fit the later forks you'll have to machine the top yoke and shim the bottom one

Saint aka ML
16-10-2010, 11:24 AM
The front will go straight into the forks but you'll need to be carefull about the discs as the 749/999 has different offset, the rear needs either the swing arm to be made wider or some machining of the wheel, as making the swingarm wider is a risky business what I did was have a new swinger made to my spec and I use 999R forged wheels

Machining of the wheel seems easy job, any good place that could do it?
Will there not be an issue with rear disc spacing when you machine it down?

In regards of swing-arm I like my alloy one it is part of monster look for me so I will only powdercoat it black.

Saint aka ML
16-10-2010, 11:27 AM
One more in regards of front rim.

So if the offset of discs is not the same how can you deal with that?

Kato
16-10-2010, 12:24 PM
One more in regards of front rim.

So if the offset of discs is not the same how can you deal with that?

use 749/999/S4RS forks, or fit discs with correct offset, but then the bolt pattern is different so need to get them made.

Also I seem to remember you have the early forks which means you will need to find some different bearings for the axel to fit.

Saint aka ML
16-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Kato front seems expensive but easy just getting new forks so it is an option it is the rear that might be an issue.

David suggested OZ rims from 2001-2003 Aprillia RSV 1000R. They look good and are not as wide at the hub. Front one also has 6 hole disc mount so monster discs are an option.

All Ineed is to find out rear wheel hub width and front offset.

Does anyone know a good free aprillia forum?

Pomp1
16-10-2010, 12:31 PM
http://rsvzone.com/forums/
They're OK..got good info when I was the lucky owner of a Mille

Kato
16-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Machining of the wheel seems easy job, any good place that could do it?
Will there not be an issue with rear disc spacing when you machine it down?

Correct there are a few issues to overcome, :scratch:

Brake disc spacing
Brake Caliper fitting
Axel of the correct size
Bearings to suite
somehow narrowing the wheel assembly with all of its spacers and washers,

As I said earlier its easier to have a new swing arm made for you, now who says that new arm has to look any different to the one you have, it just needs to be 1" sorry for the philistines amung us 25mm wider

Give me a call ....if you need some help