PDA

View Full Version : M900 ignition question...

Dukedesmo
12-10-2010, 03:26 PM
For my M900 build I have an engine but no anciliaries to go with it. I am looking to source an igniton system; CDI, coils etc and as I have nothing and have heard the stock setup may not be the best, was thinking of getting an upgraded version from the off.

I have made enquiries to be asked what type of ignition the engine had originally? Kokusan, Bosh or Magneti Marelli? As I'm new to this type of engine and I don't have a clue what system it had, can anyone tell me;

1. Why it is important to know what was fitted - is there a compatibility issue?
2. How do I find out? do the cables tell me anything or do I need to remove the crankcase cover to see the pickup setup?
3. What is a good kit to get? - I will be doing some tuning on the engine including FCR carbs, HC pistons and gas flowed heads etc, if that changes anything.

Thanks for any info. :thumbsup:

Saint aka ML
12-10-2010, 06:31 PM
What ignition do you want?

Kokusan is the stock one.

I have Dynacoils
Ignitech CDI unit for carbed but they also do injected.

Dukedesmo
12-10-2010, 07:49 PM
What ignition do you want?

I want one that works, as long as it does the job and continues to do so after any tuning I'm not fussy, whether I need adjustability for spark timing etc, I don't know? It's a carbed engine.

But when I asked Ignitech they came back asking me what I've got, so it made me think that there were different models and that it was important which it was.

If need be I'll take the cover off and see what's there but I wasn't planning on stripping the engine just yet. :thumbsup:

Saint aka ML
12-10-2010, 08:00 PM
How old is you monster engine then?

In general kokusan was on all carbed models, then something else on injected.

I would think it depends what you will put it back as.

If it is going to be carbed power then the same one as I have will do.
If injected just ask for one for x,y,z year of engine you have.

Dukedesmo
12-10-2010, 08:32 PM
How old is you monster engine then?

Well, there lies the problem as I don't know, I bought the engine from a bike breaker sometime ago and was told that it was a '99 but having researched the 900 engines a little (as '97 onwards had 750 heads) I have discovered that it is older as the serial number is pre-037728 (the change to 750 heads) and it has the older 'V2' heads.

I have contacted Ducati to see if they can tell me but they say they need the frame no. to give me a date and I don't have the frame.

There is a cable that exits the crankcase which splits into two white 2-way connectors presumably for the CDI?

It may be that it was originally fitted with Kokusan but if not and I order the unit to suit Kokusan, will it still work?

Saint aka ML
12-10-2010, 09:24 PM
You should have two leads exiting case if it is carb.

One of them splits in to 2 or 3 single wires that would be the alternator.

One of them splits in to two double wire cables and that would be the pickup sensors.
If that is the case it is a carb engine so you need kokusan carb unit.

The best way to tell is nip left case off and there shoud be two black kind off square boxes very close to flywheel. Each has two wires coming out of them and go in to mentioned black tubes.

I did try to find photo of my bike from left side but got none!!!!

Only photo I have I did attach and circled where cables in case of carbed engine would come out. One for alternator and second hole for pickups. If it was ie engine the sensor would be more up and sensor goes from outside in so you could change it with case in place.

Capo
12-10-2010, 09:52 PM
I think your loom will basically determine which system you will use.

Dukedesmo
12-10-2010, 09:58 PM
You should have two leads exiting case if it is carb.

One of them splits in to 2 or 3 single wires that would be the alternator.

One of them splits in to two double wire cables and that would be the pickup sensors.
If that is the case it is a carb engine so you need kokusan carb unit.

That's what I've got, 2 cables; One is a 2-core heavy gauge with 2 yellow wires from the alternator and the other splits into two 2-core cables that go to two 2-way connectors one having a red and a white wire, the other having a yellow and a black wire.

It is definitely a carb engine;

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=14592&d=1286920353

Thanks I think I know what I need to get now. :thumbsup:

Saint aka ML
12-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Capo he can not use ie loom with carb model. What he needs to establish is carb or ie.
If it is ie kokusan was stock unit and all is needed is a Ignitech unit to replace kokusan.
It does look like carb.

Pickup sensors are the same on all carbed models, so are coils. If he gets dynacoils he will have to make connectors (they do not come with them ready) and as such he can make what he needs.

Dukedesmo
12-10-2010, 10:00 PM

To add to the confusion I've got a '99 M600 loom. :scratch:

Saint aka ML
12-10-2010, 10:01 PM
It is a carb engine so you need the one that would repalce kokusan. The same colours on your pickups as on my one.

You will need a carb loom to make that work. I got one on ebay not so long ago for 30GBP so keep an eye.

Dukedesmo
12-10-2010, 10:03 PM
It is a carb engine so you need the one that would repalce kokusan. The same colours on your pickups as on my one.

You will need a carb loom to make that work. I got one on ebay not so long ago for 30GBP so keep an eye.

The M600 loom I have is a carb model, AFAIK it should be compatible but I can modify if need be. :thumbsup:

Saint aka ML
12-10-2010, 10:22 PM
The M600 loom I have is a carb model, AFAIK it should be compatible but I can modify if need be. :thumbsup:

Yep 600 carb will do, no major mods should be required.
BTW as it is a monster you will spend a minimum of day trying to root the loom so it is not visible. Not as easy as on 916. I used plenty of cable ties just for testing if it is ok.
Now I need to buy red one's and replace all the black.

Yorkie
12-10-2010, 10:31 PM
I think the only difference in the early looms and the newer (1999) looms is the two phase and three phase alternator. (For the reg/rec) Still not a big drama!

Yorkie.

Dukedesmo
12-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I think the only difference in the early looms and the newer (1999) looms is the two phase and three phase alternator. (For the reg/rec) Still not a big drama!

Yorkie.

The engine is the single (two) phase, not sure what the ('99) 600 that the loom is from had? but I just need the appropriate reg/rec and wiring diagrams for both. Shouldn't be a problem but I'm a while away from that point at the moment. :thumbsup:

Saint aka ML
12-10-2010, 11:39 PM
I have a 3 phase alternator going in to 2 phase rectifier and loom. No drama at all.

One cable is just not needed.