PDA

View Full Version : balancing acts

wheelybin
12-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Any ideas how to get the S4 to stand on its back wheel while I change the steering head bearings?

I have a side stand, a paddock stand, a car jack, but am worried about it toppling over as I try and hammer, sorry, drift, out the old bearings.

cheers :on:

Stafford
12-10-2010, 11:59 AM
If you have some axle stands you can turn over the foot pegs and (possibly swap sides with them at the same same) pop the stands under to hold the bike steady.

Dukedesmo
12-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Rear on the paddock stand and suspend the front end by the frame from the garage rafters if possible? if not then a bar under the front cylinder (close as possible to the crankcase) held on jack stands (or bricks) either side of the bike - you may need to remove the exhaust header first.

Nickj
12-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I understood that a sharp snap on the throttle would do that?

wheelybin
13-10-2010, 07:25 PM
err, I think I will go with the bricks and pole idea. The last time I tried the quick twist of the throttle, I ended up with 4 broken teeth, jaw broken in 2 places and 13 visits to the dentist.:o

chris yeatman
13-10-2010, 08:02 PM
engine crane round the head stock if u can get ur hands on one

Gordon H
13-10-2010, 08:37 PM
I'll be taking mine into Moto Rapido - far less hassle.

I'd be gutted if mine fell over - especially if I was under it!!

gremlin
13-10-2010, 10:54 PM
1: remove tank and any body work,
2: knick the cushions off the sofa when the wifes not looking
3: lay cushions on garage floor
4: lay bike on its side of top cushions

simples :)

He11cat
14-10-2010, 10:43 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think thats why I have no husband ... that was the image in my back yard a few weeks ago with my Honda ... sofa cushions and all sorts ... axel stands just incase.

I won't go into how its oil was changed .. that was a circus trick of sorts..more cusions
(petrol tank is now out of my bedroom mind!!)....:D
Mini moto still in living room....

I would however advise not on your missus'e best cream DFS sofa.... unless you have a deathwish or are into some kinky pain stuff lol.....:on:

utopia
14-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Hoisting from above is much safer than jacking from below cos the bike can't topple off the jack..a likely and very costly possibility. If you have an overhead beam to hoist from but aren't sure that its strong enough, you could beef things up by putting a couple of support struts (eg fence posts) either side of the bike and/or work as close as possible to the supporting wall. I'm wondering if you could even rig up some sort of overhead fixing in an open doorway..? Ratchet tie-down straps are great for holding the bike up but you'll need to use the jack for the actual lifting and lowering. Or consider the chain block hoist that Machine Mart sell for under 50 quid (thats how I'd do it).
If you do resort to jacking, why not run the front wheel up onto a makeshift ramp first to give you a head start?
Once the front end is raised, axle stands or blocks under upturned footrests sounds good to me..much more stable than a single support under the engine cos it gives you a tripod effect (two stands plus rear wheel on the ground) rather than just two supports which has very little lateral stability.
Or just pay the workshop charges and consider it good insurance against costly mishaps.
Oh, and put your gumshield in this time, ha ha.

analogue_rogue
14-10-2010, 03:55 PM
£34 front paddock stand.. ebay.... best £34 i ever spent .. fact! once you have all the front wheel off and are ready to remove the stocks, axle stand under the crank as all the weight is on the back and you can lower it down gently.

then employ a friend to hold it steady as you drift the racers out.. worked a treat for me!

wheelybin
15-10-2010, 10:28 AM
thanks for all the ideas, unfortunatly the bike lives in a wooden shed, I dont think the roof will suport anything,

The cusion idea sounds the best but I dont really want to loose the wife, after all she did persuade me to buy the bike out of a house sale proceed.

I did get a paddock stand off E-bay, it converts to do either the front or the back wheel - worth every penny.

I think I wil go with a scaffold pipe and 2 axle stands under the engine with staps from the bike to each end of the pipe to "triangulate" it, that should stop it toppling over.

:spin:

Gamsa
15-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Ratchet tie-down straps are great for holding the bike up but you'll need to use the jack for the actual lifting and lowering. I just use the rachet straps for lifting. Not had a problem. Yet. They dealt with the weight of a Triumph Trophy 900, so would have though a Monster is peanuts in comparison.

wheelybin
15-10-2010, 01:33 PM
the shed roof was bowing under the weight of 12 inches of snow last winter, I dont think it will suport a monster.

cheers

utopia
15-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I just use the rachet straps for lifting. Not had a problem. Yet. They dealt with the weight of a Triumph Trophy 900, so would have though a Monster is peanuts in comparison.
I agree, it can be done with just the ratchet straps. I've done it myself on the monster. I found the lifting a bit strained though, and in particular I found the lowering difficult and snatchy.
Oh, and I did it in a shed too, albeit quite a strong one.
The combination of straps AND support underneath sounds good though.

utopia
15-10-2010, 01:46 PM
ps. just seen your last post. Yeah, maybe you don't have the right shed for the job.

Dukedesmo
15-10-2010, 10:44 PM
I think I wil go with a scaffold pipe and 2 axle stands under the engine with staps from the bike to each end of the pipe to "triangulate" it, that should stop it toppling over.

Just make sure you 'pad' the scaffold pipe to stop it scratching or slipping or better still use a strong piece of wood but carve out a cylinder shape in it to hold it steady.

wheelybin
17-10-2010, 11:50 AM
cheers for all the advice.

:spin: