PDA

View Full Version : When were you last in Blackpool ?

J.P
09-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm in Blackpool for the weekend doing a photography course and haven't been here for probably 30 years. It doesn't seem to have changed too much in some ways, still lots of families with the kids in wonderment at the lights and trams, but time hasn't been kind in many ways and you could view it as a dump. But got bless the council who are in the throws of spending £250 million on major seafront development to bring it right up to date.

Albie
09-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Stay out of the lap dancing clubs then. But if you dont take some piccies.

I go occasionly when visiting the lakes. I found some of my dads cine film when he took us up to see the lights when I reckon I was about 7.

Have a go on the big one while your there. Oh and some rock for us Kenties would be nice too.

Gordon H
09-10-2010, 06:59 PM
May 1997 - and vowed never to return !!

Trams were cute though........

Yorkie
09-10-2010, 07:02 PM
It was a crap hole when i last went with the kids, went for 5 days left in 1!!

It would need some serious attitude change not just money spent, holiday destination for pikeys!!

Yorkie

J.P
09-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Pikey's and chav's and Stag's and Hen's.

Stuart42
09-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Was there in August for a 4 punk festival, great gig.

Town leaves a lot to be desired.

Still talking to a local who said that 'it is what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else', which is true.

Would I go back? Cock Sparrer are playing next year so good chance I will.

Cheers
Stuart

Gordon H
09-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Cock Sparrer are playing next year so good chance I will

Jeez, they still around??

Stuart42
09-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Jeez, they still around??

Only 'discovered' them this year. Cracking band, fantastic songs. Met Colin McFaul at a gig, great geezer, off to see them in Glasgow in a couple of weeks.

Take 'em All!

Cheers
Stuart

Stafford
09-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Never been and don't intend to, also I know nothing about Cock Sparrer other than it may have something to do with barrows. :drunk:

LouSCannon
09-10-2010, 08:49 PM
It's a ****hole, and the bridges over the M55 are very popular with mobile speed cameras...

BluprintZ
09-10-2010, 09:10 PM
A load of us used to go there fairly often in the early to mid seventies on our bikes.
It wasn't too bad then, we used to go to this back street chippy for tea, it seemed to attract the bikers, probably because it was a damn good chippy and the owners were brilliant.

The last time i remember going, was probably in the mid eighties when myself and my then wife took my mum out for the day, had to leave her on a bench while i went for the car, she was too knackered to walk all the way back down the seafront!

G ; ) :o

singletrack
09-10-2010, 09:16 PM
It is 20 years since I went - I never really liked it much, but it brings back good memories of my childhood.
I used to go a lot in the mid 70s. we got the bus from Bolton. Good times!

What photography course are you doing?

J.P
09-10-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm on a 1-2-1 training weekend with the bloke that runs www.chromasia.com.
Part photography, part photoshop techniques, but mostly the photography first and foremost.

Stuff like this one I made earlier...

J.P
09-10-2010, 10:22 PM
and this one as well

rogermunro
10-10-2010, 06:49 AM
went there on way to tt for one night never again

Stafford
10-10-2010, 07:55 AM
If it's that bad who does go there?

Stuart42
10-10-2010, 08:32 AM
No accounting for taste?

singletrack
10-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm on a 1-2-1 training weekend with the bloke that runs www.chromasia.com.
Part photography, part photoshop techniques, but mostly the photography first and foremost.

Stuff like this one I made earlier...

Looks good!

Thirdway
10-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Went about 4 years ago to see Radiohead.

It's a real nasty ****hole. I found a little boutique hotel quite close to the funfair which was quite cool. One of the rides whistled passed the window close enough to touch the passengers. You couldn't hear any sound until you opened the window. it was quite surreal. Food wasn't too bad either.

I had fond memories of Blackpool as I had visited several times for Xmas do's in the late 70's and always had a great time in the thick of very friendly crowds, fish and chips and waffles. I also worked there in the 80's putting in a control system for the sewage system right under the pier front.

It seems quite violent and full of druggies now. Only the very hard up seem to visit and fights were common along the whole sea front. Loads of beggars and junkies sprawled in their own vomit.

Hopefully it will get back to the place it used to be. Slightly kitch, faded and comfortable sea side town.

Grumpy
10-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Visited Blackpool in '94, with a some friends. One of them was a lad from 'up north' who persuaded us it was a fun place to visit.
It rained most of the way up there(we where on motorbikes) got soaked through!
We got there late fri night, found the hotel and crashed!
The hotel owner was related to Basil Faulty!!
Spent most of the next day drying everything out.
My main memory is drunks, hen parties, stag do's and cracking fish and chips.
Would I go back.........no!

J.P
12-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm so glad that so many people had the same views as me !