PDA

View Full Version : Painting - Engine Side Covers + Plastic Parts

dr chris
09-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Anyone know someone good for repainting my engine side covers in or near London? Is it OK just to spray them, or should they be powered coated?

The original paint has totally blistered up and its all peeling off at the front on both sides. The aluminium underneath is getting quite corroded (all white and powdery, looks pony).

Ideally I'd like it done in the original colour, a kind of very dark green.

I also wanted to have some plastic parts, fairing and helmet painted matt black, anyone know anyone good and cheap for that kind of thing?

Cheers,

Chris.

Stafford
09-10-2010, 06:04 PM
The cases you can do yourself just strip with Nitromors or similar undercoat and and finish with a top coat the colour of your choice. As for thr plastic, not done any but I imagine getting the surface keyed and clean is the first important step.

Dukedesmo
09-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm no painting expert but have had good results with high temp aluminium coloured paint on engines, just make sure you clean it well first.

Don't know much about painting plastic as my only attempts have never been too good.

PaulR
04-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Sperex tough Black for anything black - it's black and er.. tough. I've even used it to paint a chip inside a cast iron wok, so it puts up with oil and heat. (and no, the chip wasn't the potato type....)

Paranoid Dave
04-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Plastic needs a good key and primer. Plastic paints are ok for the job.