PDA

View Full Version : Acid Spill Nightmare - HELP!

dr chris
09-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey, i came home to find my bike had been knocked over and someone had picked it up again. In the fall the drain pipe from the battery had popped off the battery meaning that suphuric acid then dripped down all over the frame .... it' ruined the paint and is beginning to rust and blister up already.

The frame is gold, its a 1998 M600 Dark, does anyone have an idea what i can do about this? Can it be re-sprayed? If so, do you know anyone near London would could do the job well in exactly the right colour to match?

Cheers,

Chris.

bigfiretruck
09-10-2010, 04:53 PM
this basically happened to me! but its on the inside of the tank..... just put lots of water on and oil to help disperse the acid.... dunno if this would help?

6fingers
09-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Insurance?

Dukedesmo
09-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Make sure it's really, really cleaned & prepared well. I had a battery acid/frame interface some years ago and had it professionally re-sprayed but still got some imperfections coming through after a couple of years.

Albie
09-10-2010, 08:01 PM
It an occurance afair few have had. Sometimes its because the overflow may just discconnect or forgotten to be put back after a battery removal. Only thing to do is neutralise the area and either get a touch up brush or aerosol from some services on ebay I have seen. Or over winter strip bike down to frame and restore with same or a colour you like. Powdercoating frames costs around £100 so it can be worth it. Paint spraying will be 3 x as much. What colour is frame btw gold or silver.

My m900 had this damage and I just touched up with a car touch up. Not quite a perfect match but took the eye away from it..

Capo
09-10-2010, 08:07 PM
A solution of bi carbonate of soda followed by a fresh water rinse, is required to neutralise the acid.

Pomp1
09-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Insurance?

By the time you get the bike disassemble for powder coating they'll write the bike off.

BluprintZ
09-10-2010, 09:21 PM
It an occurance afair few have had. Sometimes its because the overflow may just discconnect or forgotten to be put back after a battery removal.

When i bought my 900, the owner had fitted a new battery and put it on charge overnight but hadn't fitted the breather pipe, so acid had dripped onto the frame.
I didn't find it until i came to strip the bike down the following winter.

Or over winter strip bike down to frame and restore with same or a colour you like. Powdercoating frames costs around £100 so it can be worth it.

Which is what i did, although i paid around £90 for the frame, rear suspension hoop and the footie hangers, the price also included a top coat of lacquer.

G ; )