PDA

View Full Version : Tank Design Template

ladybird
08-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Has anyone got a flat 'map' of a older monster tank for planning a paint design on?

I've spent 3 days searching the internet to no avail.

Paranoid Dave
08-10-2010, 09:40 AM
what on earth is a flat map?

I designed mine by drawing side views and top views. As the monster tank is so curvy you'll never be able to design it so it looks the way it will when painted. Think, sketch and sit in front of tank and imagine how it would look from different angles.

Good luck

Scotty
08-10-2010, 12:30 PM
just draw on the tank you have with a marker or something ~:?

He11cat
08-10-2010, 12:45 PM
I see where your coming from.
Much like tattooing your trace off the area of skin you have to work on.
Then draw your design on that flat area of paper you have.
The problem then is your body or in this case the tank is curvy.
So when you reapply the design to that curved area you then have to adapt and adjust the design to take in account for the curved surface.

If you can trace off the areas of the tank you want the design to go on and lay down a flat rough.
Who ever is doing the design if a good artist should be able to take in account for the curved surface.
Again it depends what sort of design and who's doing it ?

He11cat
08-10-2010, 12:47 PM
You mean a flat expanded version of the tank don't you?
A bit like when people do a flat map of the world if you then pulled that flat map together it would make the globe.

ladybird
08-10-2010, 01:01 PM
You mean a flat expanded version of the tank don't you?
A bit like when people do a flat map of the world if you then pulled that flat map together it would make the globe.

yup that's the deely

I did have half an idea of making a 3dsmax or maya skin, but don't have a wireframe for the tank. or the software or the skill :)

slob
08-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Just cut bits of newspaper until they fit over the shape, with darts for the curves, thats what you'd do if you wanted to make a composite (glass or cf) copy. 3dsmax etc. is way overcomplicating the issue.

Paranoid Dave
09-10-2010, 08:51 AM
When I had mine painted I had drawings from every angle, details of stripes, widths and directions. points of note on the tank to help for reference and also got a chinagraph pencil and drew the design on the tank, tail and screen. He could understand the ideas, photographed the tank and traced the markings. It all turned out A+ but I guess it depends which part of the tank you want painting and how.