PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Finland seeks help !!!

IlkkaL
06-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Hello all UKMOCs boys and girls!!! Pleased to be here. I'm somewhat proud Ducati owner since 1992. As the prices are pretty high in Finland I am now doing some fishing from your country. In your allowance of course :) I have now shortlisted my choices in between these three:

1. S4 from MotoforzaItalia, 4000 miles. 2002 model, FSH, Staintune pipes 3800 BP
2. S4 from Snells, 2000 miles, 2001, FSH, original 3800 BP
3. M900 S ie from North Cornwall MC centre, 6000 miles, 2001, FSH, trumpet (!) pipes 3700 BP

Now You only have to tell me which one to choose !!!! And how much do I REALLY have to pay...All contributions welcome. Thank you !

Char
06-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Hello all UKMOCs boys and girls!!! Pleased to be here. I'm somewhat proud Ducati owner since 1992. As the prices are pretty high in Finland I am now doing some fishing from your country. In your allowance of course :) I have now shortlisted my choices in between these three:

1. S4 from MotoforzaItalia, 4000 miles. 2002 model, FSH, Staintune pipes 3800 BP
2. S4 from Snells, 2000 miles, 2001, FSH, original 3800 BP
3. M900 S ie from North Cornwall MC centre, 6000 miles, 2001, FSH, trumpet (!) pipes 3700 BP

Now You only have to tell me which one to choose !!!! And how much do I REALLY have to pay...All contributions welcome. Thank you !

you missed the important bits - colours & bling

Capo
06-10-2010, 09:22 PM
The S4 from Snells looks a good buy.

Gordon H
06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
The 900 in Cornwall looks a bit pricey - nice looking bike though (those are the cans I want for mine!!)

Stafford
06-10-2010, 09:39 PM
For the S4 thats a lot of money for both, dunno why but they just don't sell. (Apart from water cooling and flaky rockers)
The 900ie would be a better bet but even that strikes me as little pricey but that's dealer prices for you. Looks tidy though with some nice bling.

Gordon H
06-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Apart from water cooling and flaky rockers

There may be trouble ahead.........

Stafford
06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
There may be trouble ahead.........

But while there's music and moonlight and love and romance
Let's face the music and dance

David Matthews
06-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Hi, and welcome,

Bikes are often advertised for sale by members on this site. They are usually at a lower price than from a dealer. If you're not in too much of a rush, you should find one to your liking.

Here's the link for bikes and bits up for sale.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/forumdisplay.php?f=10&order=desc

He11cat
06-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Hei !
Have a look on here there are some lovely bikes that come up and your get a lot of history and knowledge.

Yes your prices are somewhat crazy over there I was shocked at car prices when I was over in Finland I nearly fainted when I found out how much my friends Subaru cost her!!

There is another Finnish guy on here .. not far from Helsinki may be worth you saying hi to him.

Good luck but I also would say if you can wait something may come up on here !

Just make sure the water cooled ones don't freeze!!! lol! :) only joking.

Im not coming to Finland for once this year which makes me very very sad :( sob

M900 ie hmm maybe overpriced... S4 nice bike but is water cooled as you know.
A pretty looking bike and good performance I hear !
I am too short to ride a big Ducati :)

chris yeatman
07-10-2010, 07:17 AM
S4 nice bike but is water cooled as you know.

hi , welcome, water cooled are great, if it was me i'd go and buy a s4 or a s4r!!!

IlkkaL
07-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks for inputs, girls and boys!!!! And, yes, I'm bit of a hurrier side...the weather doesnt get better!!! And I have to ride the bike over to Finland :) Ok. Now what is that flaking rocker problem? Its not on every bike, right?...Well with my luck...bang!!! Somehow that oil-air version feels safer....Are there big differencies otherwise? I can see the watermotor is more powerful but is it all just top end speed? I like torque. And those trumpet exhausts, look nice but how about the sound? And the cockpit, is it different? S4 have very "mannish" dials....And one more thing. It seems that private dealers are not too eager to sell their bikes someone like...like...like me !!!! Who is from other, very strange country. I havent got any response from private dealers....And I can tell you that byuing politic is similar as it was with you guys...We write papers, I hand ower the cash and you'll never hear from me since....Well, if belts go bang in the next corner thats different story :) Thanks and keep it coming!

He11cat
07-10-2010, 10:23 AM
FInland is far from strange England is strange trust me!
I would go for oil cooled over there and your right you have tight window to get a bike.
I was over last nov and my friend had to put winter tyres on as we drove back to porvoo and there was sheet ice on the road! I t caught her out!!

ALthough you have maybe a little longer if you have the warmth of the city???
I think maybe oil cooled for FInland given the tempretures.

Are you having problems trying to buy because you are overseas?
Or dealers too keen to sell because they think they won' t see you again?

Just check when the bike had a good service , had belts changed and who did it.
GO for one with a good service record as well.

SlowLearner
07-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Welcome !

Firstly i would say you need to choose between the Air/Oil cooled two valve torquey low revving motor, and the Water cooled 4 valve Testastretta motor.

They are very different beasts.

Personally i dont like the water cooled monsters as i think the radiators look terrible.

But the Testastretta motor is much more powerful and revvier than the 2 valve motors.

Once you've chosen what type of bike you want then its just a case of finding the one for sale that you fall in love with. :heart:

Simples.

:ukm:

uksurfer
07-10-2010, 05:50 PM
buy the proper one with the water heater :woot:

Pedro
07-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Personally I'd go for the aircooled bikes over an S4.

The S4 is essentially the same motor that was fitted to the 916 and is prone to the chrome coming off the rockers that open the valves - they don't all do it but many have.

For the amount of money you have to spend you may well be able to find a 1000DS Monster for sale at a similar price. The 1000DS is a superb motor and very torquey and makes about the same horsepower as the S4 (not the S4R etc). The two vale motors are also cheaper to service!

Welcome by the way!

IlkkaL
10-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Hello from Finlad! (Great nickname, eh) And thanks for answers again. Things have changed a bit again :) Or at least bikes are...That 1000cc air-version started to interest. Theres one in Oxford, low mileage, 3699 pounds, termis...And looks good!!!! And then there there is that one S4 (Pistonheads), Senna edition, very low mileage, Termis (prefer these low-going), 3995. But that nice sounding gent doesnt reply my mails....How do I know does he still has it? Someone here help me out and ask about it? I just dont wanna call anybody from here...even though I can speak rather well (english also). I intending to come London next week...got to be something to buy though :) Thanks!!!!

Pedro
10-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Buy the 1000DS you will definitely not be disappointed

IlkkaL
14-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanking all the contributors!!!! Monster changed into an Alfa GTV...which is not exactly a monster :) Have a nice Autumn and Wintertime!!!! Spring is round the corner....
Ilkka