PDA

View Full Version : Tank Dents

jimz750
05-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Has anybody ever tried the Hairdryer and the upside down compressed air can trick to remove A Dent from the Fuel Tank?

Watched the videos on you tube, but has any body tried and did it work?

I have a beauty, got can of air. gonna give it a go when tank empty in a few days.:scratch:

Scotty
05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
think you might need a bit more heat than a hair dryer

Panther
05-10-2010, 12:41 PM
My dad got a bit carried away with a compressed air unit, when resorting his royal enfield gt continetal and blew up the tank! It started to work, but then it went bang!

rendo
05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
This is a job i intend to do over the winter, mine is prety big dent.

Local bike shop pretty much confirmed its almost impossible to knock it back out, or even pressurise the tank to 'pop' it out, but it still will need some filling.
If its fairly big, they can tack weld something on the outside and pull it out.

drained tank at the weekend, plan to remove it from bike and take it to garage for repair. i thought i might be able to push it out from inside but if its been dented by the bars its very difficult to get at.

Pomp1
05-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I know isn't ideal but nothing wrong with body filler..

slipperyweeguy
05-10-2010, 01:44 PM
I have fixed a few tanks in my time. I have not watched any you tube demos, but I have used my own compressors, and seen others doing the same. In each case you don't get back to a perfect surface, just reduce the volume of filler that will inevitably be used.

Stafford
05-10-2010, 03:46 PM
We tried to get a mates TS100 tank un-dented when I was at college, we used a bycycle pump down the breather on the filler. It never quite fitted right after that as the whole thing had widened like a pair of floppy saddle bags really. Oops, and the dent never came out either.

Nickj
05-10-2010, 06:03 PM
We tried to get a mates TS100 tank un-dented when I was at college, we used a bycycle pump down the breather on the filler. It never quite fitted right after that as the whole thing had widened like a pair of floppy saddle bags really. Oops, and the dent never came out either.

Did the fuel capacity increase at all?? We had a mate with one of those when I was a nipper, always running out of fuel and we often didn't know as he was soooo slowwwww

jimz750
06-10-2010, 07:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1Wc5gTkRI

This is what I mean! This is on a Monster tank in the same position as mine.

slipperyweeguy
06-10-2010, 08:08 AM
The process will work on some shapes of dent better than others. If it is a sharp type of dent your chances of successs are smaller. The tank in the clip still has a dent, but just not as big. You have nothing to lose by giving it a go, I suppose, as whoever paints it eventually will still charge the same.

I really do hope it works out, but as was said above, there's nothing wrong with a little body filler -
before (tank bought on ebay)http://www.dynotechecosse.co.uk/site_images/ducati/s4tankg01.jpg

after http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/betthome/paintguru/sitepages/s4prlflag.htm

jimz750
06-10-2010, 08:51 AM
f**k That's nice. how much did that cost if you don't mind me asking.

Is it all paint or decals?

Got a picture of it all assembled.

slipperyweeguy
06-10-2010, 10:50 AM
I do that myself. No stickers or vinyl - all paint. It still has to have its final lacquer, and will be on my friend's bike in the spring, if we agree a price. The fairing is modified, too, cut down to the level of the top of the clocks.
http://www.dynotechecosse.co.uk/site_images/ducati/ducmonpwfrng03_s.jpg
All the panels came from ebay.
If you are going to paint a bike, why not come up with a scheme of your own?
Anything is possible - all it takes is time, money, and decades of experience.

jimz750
06-10-2010, 11:13 AM
I have 2 of the required ingredients LOL

Do you do for Joe Public - How much for a set?

slipperyweeguy
06-10-2010, 11:21 AM
There is a queue. At the front of the queue is my girlfriend's house...
Let me get sorted out and we shall see what happens in the winter.