PDA

View Full Version : Rear spindle question...

Dukedesmo
05-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Another question (well 3 actually :rolleyes:), I started with the rear suspension from an M600 but have bought an M900 aluminium swingarm which fits the frame fine. However it is bigger due to being made from thicker material, this causes a few minor issues;

The locking plates on the outside of the swingarm are too small - they are also bent & shabby looking so I will replace them with a new larger plate.

The chain adjusters don't fit in the arm as the internal height of the arm is sligthly smaller, due to the thicker arm walls - I can modify them to go in but then need to see if they will fit correctly onto the outside?

The Spindle looks to be too short, the overall width of the swingarm is only 3mm wider than the the steel arm but the spindle looks to be more than 3mm too short?

Any ideas?... :scratch:

Trent
05-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I have just finished doing exactly the same thing to a 620 - removed the steel swingarm and installed an 1000 aluminium one.

My experience was exactly the same as yours - I had all the bits from the 1000 though, so it worked out OK for me.

Yes, the locking plates are the wrong size.

You can file a small amount off the top and bottom of the adjusters so they fit into the swingarm, but the end caps are different (smaller / wrong shape) and won't fit.

Yep, spindle is too short - I used the 1000 one. Unfortunately I didn't bother to look at why the alum swingarm spindle was so much longer than the steel one...

Dukedesmo
05-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the reply, the locking plates are too shabby to use anyway so new ones are on the way, the adjusters are only 1mm oversized but like you say they wouldn't fit properly as the ally arm is bigger on the outside.

Fortunately the suspension linkage fits as does the shock (although I'll likely be upgrading that).

In conclusion then I need to go 'shopping' for a spindle, chain adjusters and a wheel (I've got a 4.5")