PDA

View Full Version : Getting it off (oil filter)

Gordon H
04-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Just done an oil change on the 900 - sodding filter was a swine to get off!!

Am I missing something - like a trick to this or is it just a case of swearing / sweating / more cursing :Furious: till it eventually shifts?

Cheers

Gordon

uksurfer
04-10-2010, 07:59 PM
i use a rubber ratchet strap thingy, i think there for plumbing (and oil filters)!
i got one here if you need to borrow it, they come off in 2 seconds :running:

LouSCannon
04-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Depends who did it last. Common mistake is to over tighten when replacing the filter, fortunately I've never had a real bitch of a filter to get off.

Just be grateful you didn't try and chance the screwdriver method in what would have turned out to be a bitch of a filter! :)

....you ARE turning it the right way right? ;)

Albie
04-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I have had this twice. Once on the m900 and then the s4. Its worth getting a socket off the ebay for future ones but the trouble is they are set so far in.
They seem to have learnt on the 1100 and is more sticking out.

If you are in a crisis then use a bradel or a fine pointed screwdriver and pierce the filter as near to the outside as possible and then turn a bit as far as you can before you hit the casings. Then repeat until it will unscrew by hand. Do not hit hard or you can damage any threads and stay away from the core.
This is not the way to do it but the only way I could without having to wait a day or two but as I was going to arrow mill it had to be done.

If in doubt take to a ducati dealer or independant or buy the cap socket drive for a proper job. If you intend to keep your monster its worth £20

Gordon H
04-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Depends who did it last. Common mistake is to over tighten when replacing the filter, fortunately I've never had a real bitch of a filter to get off.

Just be grateful you didn't try and chance the screwdriver method in what would have turned out to be a bitch of a filter! :)

....you ARE turning it the right way right? ;)

Got the sod off eventually with a strap wrench - just a case of getting the angle right as the sump casing tries to push the wrench off the filter as you turn (bloody clever bit of design that one!!)

I was tempted to get all neanderthal with sharp pointy things but resisted (luckily)

Last done at dealers before I got the bike -

......... and despite levels of mechanical ineptitude that would make an Essex blond look like Brunel I can tell clockwise from anti clockwise..... :scratch:

Albie
04-10-2010, 08:34 PM
You want one of these
A tenner well spent

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4012.m570.l1313&_nkw=ducati+oil+filter+wrench&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Another way maybe getting a large jubilee clip with two 4" nails or flat steel bars trapped inside whilst tightening it up.You may then be able to use a lever in between to get a start. Safer option than piercing

LouSCannon
04-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Or a K&N filter with a socket wrench fitting on it....

crust
04-10-2010, 08:45 PM
You want one of these:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/227163/clarke_cht241.html

place over end of filter, turn socket bar, filter undoes, end of

no dramas, no hassles, simples

Gordon H
04-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks all - should have asked those "in the know" prior to getting stuck in.

That's the oil done - just imagine the fun to be had once I tackle something a bit more involved......

Cheers

G

Nickj
04-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Clean any grub and slippery stuff off.. Just pretend it's someones neck and you really really don't like , get really pissed at it grab it and twist the sucker off

gary tompkins
04-10-2010, 10:24 PM
You want one of these
A tenner well spent

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4012.m570.l1313&_nkw=ducati+oil+filter+wrench&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Another way maybe getting a large jubilee clip with two 4" nails or flat steel bars trapped inside whilst tightening it up.You may then be able to use a lever in between to get a start. Safer option than piercing

That's what I use too and works every time

Bought one about 4 years ago after getting cheesed off with strap wrench

utopia
04-10-2010, 11:04 PM
I know this is being a bit precious, but I decided that since I'm never going to sell this bike, it was worth cutting a ring spanner out of some 1/4 inch steel that I had lying about. It didn't need to be all that accurate as you're only dealing with tin can material. 1/4 inch ally would probably have been strong enough and much easier to work.

Gordon H
05-10-2010, 07:34 AM
i use a rubber ratchet strap thingy, i think there for plumbing (and oil filters)!
i got one here if you need to borrow it, they come off in 2 seconds :running:

Thanks Martin - tried using the cap / socket which fits over the whole filter but it was on way too tight and kept slipping off...... eventually got the sod off using a strap wrench with a screw adjuster......

Drink was taken afterwards.......

gregski
05-10-2010, 04:32 PM
I've bought one of this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Draper-Oil-Fuel-Filter-Removal-Tool-Strap-Wrench-/140455032963?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item20b3c5b883

but it's no good for a 620 as the filter is do deep inside the engine a pair of bees stilsons done the job