PDA

View Full Version : Quad's

Char
02-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Is it just a Salisbury thing or are there more Quads on the road ? - I ride a quad at weekends - but I work on the farm and carry hay about, I do have the odd zip around the fields.

In Salisbury they seem to think their riding a motorbike, weaving in and out of traffic - I nearly had one today - going down the middle of traffic like a bike, until he came between my Shogun and an arctic coming the other way - idiot.

Rant over

uksurfer
02-10-2010, 04:53 PM
calm down! :running:

i seem to see alot more now, not sure why, unless there cheaper nowadays?

(i guess its the people running round in 4x4's don't help either) :mand:

BluprintZ
02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Yep, we have the farmer joskin types on quads, usually spreading sh!te all over the place, then there are a few on-the-road quads, with the riders kitted out like they are on R1's.
I'm not sure i get it really, why would you want to ride a quad on the road?
Surely it can't be much different than having a small hatchback, so it defeats the object as i'm sure it's a bit more difficult to filter on one of those?

Discuss!

G ; ) :confused:.

Char
02-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Yep, we have the farmer joskin types on quads, usually spreading sh!te all over the place, then there are a few on-the-road quads, with the riders kitted out like they are on R1's.
I'm not sure i get it really, why would you want to ride a quad on the road?
Surely it can't be much different than having a small hatchback, so it defeats the object as i'm sure it's a bit more difficult to filter on one of those?

Discuss!

G ; ) :confused:.

Agreed - why??? At least you can get a passanger in a hatchback

Capo
02-10-2010, 05:08 PM
There is another kind, loud, driven fast in town traffic with the chav type rider wearing just a tee shirt, shorts and flip flops.

I see legislation coming on the use of these on the road.

He11cat
02-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Kid down the road has one .. can't see the attraction unless your using it on a farm or stables.

Can't say I would even want one .
Only time I use something with 4 wheels is called a car .. and under duress do I use mine !
ie Taxi or monthly shopping! Even in pouring rain il get the little bike out with its drum brakes!!

Gordon H
02-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Things are bloody lethal too - is there a "quad specific" test or can anyone with a car licence jump on one?

southfrance
02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
yep, loads hear in south west France, seem to be getting more and more popular, 2 types

type 1: flashy, big mudguards, loud, blue, red, yellow, ridden by young'uns

type 2: sensible, tool box on back, khaki, green, brown, made for bringing in the sheep, ridden by middle aged men with white beards.

LVC
02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Quad's that are road legal can be driven on a standard car licence - not all quads are road legal and not all quads are road legal to carry passengers nor tow a trailer. There's no specific test but the standard laws apply for clothing (i.e. Helmet compulsory and boots, gloves, etc recommended but not obligatory).

I run a quad forum over here and in the right environment they are excellent fun - i.e. mud, snow, sand etc. brings the smile back on my face during the winter months when I'd rather not slide the S4 around on the ice.

"Superquaders" = "quads done up for road/race use" are nutty powerful and will pop wheelies just as quick as a bike.

Top speed gets scarry after 130mph but some can go much higher.

chris yeatman
02-10-2010, 06:02 PM
seen a few in salisbury as well char, same ones as u i guess.
think they can only ride them cos they cant ride a bike!!!!

Capo
02-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I've seen one driver attired in leathers complete with knee sliders.

johnsy
02-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Then you get the typical Spanish ones, with no diff (race spec?) so every corner they get to they have to lean off and slid the back end :chuckle:. Having been on one, scared myself sh*tless trying to go round a corner, (slowing down means going straight) :dunce: I'll stick to 4 wheels with a roof or 2 wheels thank you very much...

LVC
02-10-2010, 07:42 PM
You can get a bit carried away with the quad concept...

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/siteimage/scale/800/600/96899.png

The article reads :

BMW V12 Quad Bike

Think motorcycles are the ultimate in lightweight speed machines? The Lazareth Wazuma V12 begs to differ…

Yes ladies and gents, the Wazuma V12 is a V12 quad bike. It’s not powered by any ‘ol V12, oh no, it’s lifted from a BMW 7-Series. And supercharged. You can see, and hear it in action here.

The Wazuma pumps out a massive 500hp. Which is nearly as much as the BMW M5. But it weighs only 500kgs, so it’ll leave the M5 in the dust.

0-62mph takes less than three seconds and it’ll go onto a top speed of “much more than 185mph”.

Saint aka ML
02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
There is another kind, loud, driven fast in town traffic with the chav type rider wearing just a tee shirt, shorts and flip flops.

I see legislation coming on the use of these on the road.

Plenty in London

Then you get the typical Spanish ones, with no diff (race spec?) so every corner they get to they have to lean off and slid the back end :chuckle:. Having been on one, scared myself sh*tless trying to go round a corner, (slowing down means going straight) :dunce: I'll stick to 4 wheels with a roof or 2 wheels thank you very much...

I will admit I love them and am one that will purchase a quad for winter. I will get the race one with no diff as I did enjoy one last winter. So much fun especially 600cc one's or the one I seen based on monster 1000. The only thing that pisses me off is CC on it while piaggio mp3**** is exempt.

I also need to add that all of them are restircted to whatever power quads should be ;) Especially the one I tested with R6 engine....

Nickj
02-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Only ever tried a full race spec Yam Banshee with a seriously hopped up motor, that was fun. Not so sure about them on the road but I'd be game to give it a go, no hunchback leathers though!