PDA

View Full Version : Monster M750 Clutch

jimz750
28-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Bought my first Ducati - Monster M750 2000W
As it's my first I don't know if its a characteristic or fault.

To me the clutch lever is stiff/hard to operate.

Any help and advice would be great.:dizzy:

benson
28-09-2010, 09:04 PM
You might want to check that there's no air in the system - wet clutch methinks on a 750 so ought not to be as hard to operate as the dry...

He11cat
28-09-2010, 09:19 PM
What have you ridden before???

I have to be honest check its not a fault but compared to other bikes I have owned the clutch on my M600 was heavy to me.
It killed my hands with a standard clutch slave. Traffic ouch ouch!!...

I swapped to an oberon clutch slave and the difference is immense!!
I don't sit nearly crying like a baby as my hand feels like its going to fall off.

Mines only the baby 600 and wet clutch.
Yes yours would be wet clutch as well.. no clankey noises!

Get it checked .. and if its deemed ok change to an aftermarket clutch slave its a huge improvement well was for me anyway.
Adjustable levers help as well but on their own did not really solve the heavyness issue..

Nickj
28-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Give it a change of fluid and a good bleed to start with, you get used to it quite quickly. Saves you sitting there clutch in too if a small ache reminds you to try thr hunt for neutral tap dance.
You can also look at it as some pre-christmas nut practice,, YOU WILL be able to crush brazils to dust with your bare hands ;)

utopia
28-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Hi. I'm in leicester, and I think I have the same model as you, though mine was first reg in 2001. I found the clutch a tad heavy at first, but soon got used to it and, like Nick says, it does encourage you to find neutral at traffic lights, which is a good discipline anyway. Also, being air cooled,I reckon its worth killing the engine in first if you have a long wait ahead. I found the clutch a bit of a drag going through London, but otherwise mines not too bad, so if yours is very heavy I'd agree that fluid and bleed is worth trying before shelling out on an aftermarket clutch slave. You're welcome to try mine as a comparison sometime. Finally, if its your first ducati (as was mine), someone should say...change the belts unless you're totally confident of their condition and history. It's actually a very simple job. Have a look inside the belt covers anyway....mine had a manufacturing fault on the driving pulley which chafed the horizontal belt, causing it in turn to cut into the belt cover. I spotted it just before it got to critical level. I havent heard of this happening to anyone else, but yours is the same model/year as mine so you might have a pulley from the same batch. Its easy to fix with a small file.

Starter Sprag
29-09-2010, 07:07 AM
My 900ie Y2K also had a pulley fault, although dealer had no experience of this, the ducati oil filter also leaked, again no experience of this

I was convinced both where manufacturing faults, got sorted in the end

jimz750
29-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks to all for info and advice. I'll try the fluid change first to see if that improves it - Had Jap GSX-Rs before and compared to them and my friends Yamaha it is very stiff.
A Full service and all belts were done in July and I have the invoice to back this up. I'm over near Loughborough so if the fluid change has no improvement I might be in touch to take you up on your offer Utopia

jimz750
29-09-2010, 11:06 AM
What have you ridden before???

I have to be honest check its not a fault but compared to other bikes I have owned the clutch on my M600 was heavy to me.
It killed my hands with a standard clutch slave. Traffic ouch ouch!!...

I swapped to an oberon clutch slave and the difference is immense!!
I don't sit nearly crying like a baby as my hand feels like its going to fall off.

Mines only the baby 600 and wet clutch.
Yes yours would be wet clutch as well.. no clankey noises!

Get it checked .. and if its deemed ok change to an aftermarket clutch slave its a huge improvement well was for me anyway.
Adjustable levers help as well but on their own did not really solve the heavyness issue..
Thanks He11cat, love it to bits but it is heavy.

He11cat
29-09-2010, 11:23 AM
I honestly found my monster clutch hard work. Well in town and traffic.
I ve always ridden jap bikes which have very very light clutches .

So that maybe why .. im a GSX without the R girl (but of the old ones) and yep the clutches are tonns lighter then on a monster I suspect thats the problem.
I tried another monsters clutch and again it felt heavy so then knew was not the bike was me!!

You do get used to it , but I was getting fed up so followed the advise on the Oberon slave and it works a dream !!...

If your used to Suzi and yam clutches them yep monster clutches are likely to feel heavy .
Try and have a feel of someones elses clutch on their monster... compare it to yours .

jimz750
29-09-2010, 01:11 PM
:confused:I'll ask a Monster owner at bike night and compare.

Just one other thing - New to all this, do you see my mug shot on the forums as I don't.
I did put one on but it may be the way it is. You see others but not your own?

He11cat
29-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Not unless you are the invisable man .. can't see you my dear :) or you are all dressed in white standing next to a white wall... if so step away from the white wall !

may have failed on upload , make sure its a small pic in size.

singletrack
29-09-2010, 01:30 PM
:confused:I'll ask a Monster owner at bike night and compare.

Just one other thing - New to all this, do you see my mug shot on the forums as I don't.
I did put one on but it may be the way it is. You see others but not your own?

I can see it! Perhaps I have extra special sensory powers!

jimz750
29-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Been having a play and sorted - You Poor souls.