PDA

View Full Version : Bike Breakdown Companies

Jungle24
27-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a decent, affordable bike recovery company as after my recent flat its just not fair on my friends having to come out to me all the time and thought I should "get covered" for the winter.

Any advice, recommendations are appreciated!

Cheers,

Nickj
27-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Some skategoard trucks, zippies and gaffer tape??
For the tyres go goopy stuff.
I use the RAC but of most recovery companies are pretty similar. As the cover is just for me it counts in the car(s) as well, adding europe wide recovery is pretty cheap too.

shifter
27-09-2010, 02:35 PM
I had to use a recovery service the other day when I got an M8 through my back tyre. Don't think you sign up as such but just call them when you need them.
They picked me up within the hour and the bird that answered the phone was lovely.

http://www.sos-motorcycle-recovery.co.uk/

Jungle24
27-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Cheers guys, Shifter I checked witgh SOS and pricy dude, very pricy! I am sure the aa or rac do a recovery package for bikes just wondered if anyone has ever used them. SOS charge £65 +VAt for call out and then 2.5p per mile to repatriate the bike! OUCH! Cheers anyway and dont mean to sound ungrateful!

shifter
27-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Didn't realize that they charge by the mile, as luck would have it i was only a few miles from home.

Blufoot
27-09-2010, 03:13 PM
tesco do a stripey value bike cover for £26 (from memory) that will get you home or to a garage, ive got it but never had to use it yet thank god

Blufoot
27-09-2010, 03:14 PM
p.s. i think it's Green Flag Recovery under the Tesco banner

gregski
27-09-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm with AA and they are pretty good the only thing if they can't fix your bike on the road you can wait up to 4 hours for a tow truck.

gregski
27-09-2010, 03:18 PM
p.s. i think it's Green Flag Recovery under the Tesco banner

yes but they only take you to the nearest garage they don't do road side fix

uksurfer
27-09-2010, 03:19 PM
i got RAC cover, covers me on any vehicle, including bikes
think i paid about £50 for it?
might be worth checking with your insurance company too, they might have a deal as an add on to your cover.

Besides that, you ride a ducati, you shouldn't need breakdown cover...:running::chuckle:

Blufoot
27-09-2010, 03:26 PM
yes but they only take you to the nearest garage they don't do road side fix

most people dont do much of a roadside fix, theyll plug a tyre or check your plugs / battery etc but nothing much past that.

He11cat
27-09-2010, 05:15 PM
I had an AA man come home with me bleed my cooling system and get it running after I broke down he was a star !!! I switched to rac as one day AA left me for 6 hours :(
rac have just recovers me when one if my piles of have broken down!!! No fixing .

Friday I had a throttle cable fiasco innthe way to Hampshire had to ring breakdown so rang the one with my bike insurance. He said nothing wrong with it .. Off I limped again and ten mins later it was worse then ever.so I limped home with a very sticky throttle that wouldn,t shut off.
I was not happy but I got home a bit wet and dejected.
They seem to just recover you now and that's it. When the monster broke down last year garages here did not want to know! Rac exstended the miles to get him to Carl Harrison , Rac guy said to control it's a DUcati needs special garage!!! THey agreed.

However when my GRandad was dying they where terrible and control had no sympathy for my situation and took my car miles and miles away from Epsom to Brighton I was in tears and they where crap.

Blufoot
27-09-2010, 05:31 PM
a lot of it has to do with risk assessments and the dangers of working on a bike at roadside unfortunately

johnsy
27-09-2010, 05:44 PM
I had an AA man come home with me bleed my cooling system and get it running after I broke down he was a star !!! I switched to rac as one day AA left me for 6 hours :(
rac have just recovers me when one if my piles of have broken down!!! No fixing .

Hellcat - you can get a cream for that, no need for the RAC :freak:

gary tompkins
27-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Some skategoard trucks, zippies and gaffer tape??
For the tyres go goopy stuff.
I use the RAC but of most recovery companies are pretty similar. As the cover is just for me it counts in the car(s) as well, adding europe wide recovery is pretty cheap too.

Ditto - Been with the RAC for about 15 years now, and think I've had to call them out about 6 or 7 times

Cover all our bikes and cars on one policy

He11cat
27-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Lol!!! I do not need any special creams!!!! But I did bribe him with my buns and tea!!
Sorry typing on phone just read it.. I do not have piles ..yet!!
I don't think they'd do home start for that???

Jungle24
28-09-2010, 07:46 AM
I think I will give the RAC a go. I am only interested in the puncture repair and getting the bike home as has happened a lot to me this summer! Thanks for the comments.

lisyloo
28-09-2010, 10:31 AM
I am considering Carole Nash this year for my bike insurance.
One of the reasons is that it incoude UK & European breakdown cover.
Seems cracking value at £113 for insurance plus breakdown (incl Europe).

In don't know who their cover is with but they describe is as "extensive" (at home, rescue, recovery, onward travel).

I am also with a company called AutoAid which is £37.
It covers all vehicles for you plus legal spouse for at home , rescue, recovery & onward travel. It's "pay & claim" which means you have to pay and claim back but experiences are very good. This is a cracking policy if you're married and have several vehicles.

NOTE: If you get a cheap £27 policy then make sure you check what it covers. The cheapest are often just rescue and don't have recovery, at home & on ward travel, so make sure you know what you're getting.