PDA

View Full Version : How to polish a turd

motojohn
26-09-2010, 02:49 PM
this is the before and after of my S4 it was a bit of a dog when i first got it but the price was right , the first thing to go was the Dirty filthy Scott Oiler , nasty filthy things filthy things ,
then remove all the paint on the carbon and re lacquer .
repaint the bodywork back to senna colors a bit of polishing fix the fuel leak and the oil leak and bish bash bosh a half decent bikehttp://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/madasfook/monsterpixs001-1.jpghttp://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/madasfook/monster916003.jpg

Capo
26-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Hmm, I feel GT will robustly disagree about the filthy scott oiler.

gregski
26-09-2010, 03:47 PM
very nice bike and about "polish" well vodka works well

gregski
26-09-2010, 03:48 PM
:drunk: hehehehhe

Albie
26-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I remember seeing that bike when it was blue. Yes you done a good job bringing it back to life with its real colours. I think you need to sort out the clocks gold ring though IMHO.

Hope you have many happy miles with or without the scottoiler.:biggrin:

motojohn
26-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I know lots of riders use Scott oilers but for the muck they chuck all over the bike its just not worth it , i would rather use a quality chian lube at the end of a ride than have my bike looking like a dispatch riders hack

motojohn
26-09-2010, 05:02 PM
as for the clocks i was thinking about striping the gold anodizing back to silver http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/madasfook/monster916008.jpg

Dukedesmo
26-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Nice, I hope my 'turd' polishes up that well...

gary tompkins
26-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Hmm, I feel GT will robustly disagree about the filthy scott oiler.

They are only filthy when pleb's don't fit and use them properly

Nice re-vamp on the S4 - fantastic transformation

motojohn
27-09-2010, 01:01 PM
you are right Gary about the adjustment , i do not know if it was the the guy i bought it from or the one before but the same lube was used to waterproof all the electric's :( , so the bike was a bit of a sticky mess .
I like my bikes nice and clean and would rather buy a new chain every year than cover my back wheel with crud :hissy:

Albie
27-09-2010, 06:48 PM
you are right Gary about the adjustment , i do not know if it was the the guy i bought it from or the one before but the same lube was used to waterproof all the electric's :( , so the bike was a bit of a sticky mess .
I like my bikes nice and clean and would rather buy a new chain every year than cover my back wheel with crud :hissy:

I dont believe it was. It was a bit of a basket case when he bought on ebay I think. He tidied up a lot other than left the paintwork alone. There should be some pics he took doing it and he also changed the bars to what you now have. I think he had to tidy up the electics too. Name of Retskid if I remember correctly. It was about 3 years ago now.

motojohn
27-09-2010, 08:25 PM
it had a few faults apart from being very tatty 1 being a leek from the seam in the bottom of the tank that has been sealed , and the oil leek from the rear cylinder inspection port 5 min job ,and the immobilizer led does not work and it has a fantom bad negative earth that only happens when its due for a mot :hissy:
I have been cleaning all the block connectors to get the chain lube out of them and i think i may have got it sorted but time will tell.
Took it out for a blast yesterday and what fun lots of power with the front end lifting in most gears but that could be the smaller rear sprocket woo hoo the most fun i have had on a bike for ages

motojohn
27-09-2010, 09:01 PM
just been reading Retskid's posts on the poor starting , i wish i had seen that before i bought the bike , never mind i will sort it out .

Albie
27-09-2010, 09:08 PM
just been reading Retskid's posts on the poor starting , i wish i had seen that before i bought the bike , never mind i will sort it out .

They can all do that. Fact is he had a problem and he did ask lots to try a solve whilst trying not to lose faith in ducati ownership. Some would have given up. Im sure alls well now and have no doubt you will have fun and seems you are already. I loved my s4's power and slightly miss it as the 1100 2 valve does feel different in the power but not by much.

I think it looks great now though and you have done it justice.:biggrin:

Pomp1
27-09-2010, 11:14 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/madasfook/monster916003.jpg
You seem to have a massive water leak off that rad thought..:biggrin:

singletrack
28-09-2010, 07:42 AM
It looks lovely - much improved by returning to the Senna paintwork :thumbsup:

mintyhit
28-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Looks fantastic, good work!

How did you manage to get your carbon cans looking so shiny? Mine have gone really quite dull and no amount of polishing seems to improve them.

James

Pomp1
28-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Looks fantastic, good work!

How did you manage to get your carbon cans looking so shiny? Mine have gone really quite dull and no amount of polishing seems to improve them.

James

Polishing carbon doesn't work, you'll need to rub them down with a fine (1200) grit and respray with some sort of hi-temp laquer. If the original laquer has worn through and shows the cloth, You'll have to find yourself a thick laquer which won't be absorbed before it dries

motojohn
28-09-2010, 12:19 PM
all the carbon was re sprayed with 2 pack clear coat as was all the carbon that had paint on

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/madasfook/monster001.jpghttp://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/madasfook/monster002.jpg

Phatty
29-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Nice work, looks great!!

Was the tatty one on eBay earlier in the year? It looks familiar.

motojohn
30-09-2010, 07:59 AM
yes it was i was the one who won the auction but it never hit reserve , so when i saw it on this site and he said he would let it go for £2250 i thought why not
i knew it was very tatty and uncared for but being around under a grand under book i thought it had to be worth it