PDA

View Full Version : Override bike stand switch

Gutsy
15-09-2010, 08:16 PM
PROBLEM: Bike cuts out immediately as she's put into gear.
ACTION: I have tried to isolate the bike stand switch by removing the cable but to no effect.

HELP: I believe I need to short circuit the wires - there are 3 - so how best to do this?

I'm 110% fed up with looking at a red bike sitting in the garage :cry:

animaluk
15-09-2010, 08:24 PM
two of the crimp on plugends and a small length of wire

Time to make 30 seconds :)

analogue_rogue
15-09-2010, 09:46 PM
what bike is it?

chris yeatman
15-09-2010, 09:52 PM
what bike is it?

800 ie, i think.

analogue_rogue
15-09-2010, 09:56 PM
im trying to find my manuals.. i cant ffind the wiring diagram is there one around here anywhere?

utopia
16-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Did my 750 a while ago. May be different to yours cos mine has no link to the neutral sensor, but its probably the same as far as the sidestand switch goes. After removing the sidestand switch and its wiring up to the 3 pin connector, I got about an inch of stainless steel wire and bent it into a sort of long legged staple shape. I then used this to connect the two wires at the remaining female half of the 3 pin connector. This way you can then tape the whole connector up to make sure no water gets in. Dead neat, dead quick, and dead cheap. Easy to revert back later too. From my notes, it seems I connected the black wire to the grey wire. I think I remember that the third pin had no wire going to it anyway, though yours may have cos of the neutral switch connection, which like I said, my bike never had.

slob
16-09-2010, 06:31 AM
As Jeff says: There are two wires in a three way plug. You can short them together 'non destructively' with a paperclip and some electrical tape in the plug itself, which is by the front engine mounting bolt on the l/h side (follow the cable up from the stand). I've seen the wires come loose in that plug, which may be what's caused the issue.

Gutsy
16-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Thank you for all your helpful suggestions.
Animal UK - Thank you for being No. 1 to reply. You were right about 30 secs to fix it!
Analogue Rogue - you are a scholar and a gentleman for going out of your way to find a wiring diagram for my bike type.
Chris - fellow Hamsterer! I owe you an extra cream scone next time.
Utopia, your in depth explanation gave me the confidence to give it a bash on my own.
Slob - your paperclip idea is just what a girl understands so I nearly cried when I got her into gear and was able to roar off. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to each and every one of you for you advice and help. You've made me one happy little bunny!!

utopia
16-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Yay...result ! You'll now have to develop that nervous twitch as you check three times that you really have put the stand up as you move (sorry...roar) off.