PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust advice

mit
15-09-2010, 02:38 PM
So everyone keeps going on about Termis.

Truth be told, I can't stand the look of the things. I've never even heard them but I know I don't want them on my bike.
I'm not much of a fan of the way the OEM exhausts look either, but I am very happy with the way they sound.

I won't mention here why I am looking to change my exhausts as it's quite embarassing, but let's just say I have a good reason for it and I've spent a while looking stuff up.

At first I decided I want Vance & Hines CS Ones:
http://www.vanceandhines.com/products/sport-cs1slipon/Ducati/696-1100-1100S/csoneduals/csoneduals.html
I think they look awesome in carbon! This always happens to me; I never make things easy for myself lol. So I've had a few quotes for them here and there and prices seem reasonable I suppose, even if I could go snowboarding for a week for the same money.

But then I came across this:
http://www.ballerbolts.com/hco696moexun.html

Once I cleaned up my mouth from all the dribbling, I started to wonder how loud this thing would be, and if it's even legal. There's clearly no room here for any sort of sound muffling or catalytic converters, and the Vance & Hines exhausts don't have cats either...

My understanding is the standard exhausts do have catalytic converters. So where would I stand if these were removed? Can anyone clarify? :)

Kato
15-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm not a fan of the new shape (almost a) Monster and one of the reasons is the exhaust to me they just look like an after thought, that ballerbolts one looks pretty cool and defo sorts out the crap looking standard cans...

Was'nt aware that a 696 had a cat....but plenty of people remove them from other models with no repercussions.

He11cat
15-09-2010, 06:34 PM
There was some pics of other cans under bex's new bike thread just so you could have a squint at whats about /makes not the same model but it will give you a feel.
There is quite a lot out there... something for everyones taste I guess..

Kato a man after my own heart ... have to agree with you... sorry I am not a fan either...but each to their own .. as long as the owner like it ..:) all of us have different likes .
I keep looking at even older ones then my 99!!! :)

benson
15-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Mit - f you don't like the look of termis don't look again....

Good luck finding something for the bike.

OplayneO
16-09-2010, 07:01 PM
have a look on youtube for sound bites for the H comp exhaust, i quite liked these and was waiting for ryanracer who makes them, and is a member on here, finished develping them. they came in a bit above my budget and managed to get a second hand set of termis which has kept me content! they also do another model with twin chrome pipes in the same position, some said they look a bit like the add ons you get from halford to stick on the back of you 1.1l fiesta to make it look cool??? everyone to there own.

Albie
16-09-2010, 07:21 PM
For info. Cats are inside the stock cans. The removable slip ons that is. Thats why they are so heavy. Still better in there than the pig ugly underbelly one they fitted to the s2/4r.

Termis actually tried to mimic the stock cans as they tend to work in partership with Ducati.
Not to everyones taste or budget which is fair.
The leo vince gp cans are a fair price around £450 or less. Check out akropovic too as they look ok and Zards.

Dave G
16-09-2010, 08:26 PM
. Still better in there than the pig ugly underbelly one they fitted to the s2/4r.

While I cant argue about the aesthetics of the bladder, it being seperate made it a lot easier to replace with a link pipe and relatively, a lot cheaper than replacing the endcans.
S2R OE endcans without the cat actually sound OK.

I haven't seen a set of cans for the new monster that has made me change my opinion of it, until they make a set that sits higher and nearer the seat....or a lot lower and out of the way I will continue to ignore it.
I wish Mivv would make a set of those slim endcans for the new style, the sort that Dam has fitted to his bike and the only kind I ever preferrred over the S*R original style..

BTW I'm not too fussed on Termingnoni style either, I had a set on my 916 but haven't seen anything I fancied from them since.